San Tan Valley, AZ
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Hello fellow Willys enthusiasts,

I an beginning work (again) on my 49 VJ3 that I have had since high school. (48yrs)

Upgrading to disc brakes and concurrently starting registration process in Arizona after a move from Calif. I pulled the ID plate off at one point to replace it. That was a mistake. It I in a box in storage, yet to be found.

Can a Jeepster owner share a picture of theirs (ok to tape off the serial number). I need help to understand which style of ID Plate is correct. Kaiser Willys says # 4 is correct. My memory says it was number 1.

Please help by voting 1- 4 and why. Pictures will help if you have an original. I reached out to JeepsterJim on eBay, he declined.

Attachments

• 4 square.jpg
    4 square.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Mark
I looked over some VIN plates from Jeeps and found one that is not pictured. I have a few with 5 patent numbers on it.
The D number on the 2nd row right side is not there. They are tin, not alum. and seem to be from late CJ2A's and early CJ3A's as well as early wagons. They actually say CJ2A, 463, CJ3A, and 4x463. They look like #1 with 5 patent #s and had a black background. I would surmise they are 1947 - 49. The CJ3 numbers were around 30,000. That is early 3A.

I have aluminum ones like #2 that are 451 GB1, 453FA2, 453GB1, 452GB1 that are (were) black background. I think those are 1950 and up.
None were Jeepsters VJ3 VIN plates.

I think #1 is closest but not sure about the missing D number. I would guess that Willys used the same plate all through the model year, with different prefixes and numbers.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

diggerG

diggerG,

Thanks. Hopefully I will uncover it soon, but I still would like an original aluminum one that does not have surface corrosion. Funny thing is, in California, it was originally registered under it's engine s/n. After installing the V6, I took it in to DMV for inspection and re-identification. The DMV inspector said lets ID it as the VJ3 s/n, saying "Now you can put in any engine you want."

It is definitely #1. That is identical to mine off my 48.

Attachments

• IMG_5344.jpg
    IMG_5344.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 23
The PO claimed that the grandpa had bought this new. Mine was one of the earlier ones made if that matters. I actually have a 49 in storage, and the vinplate for that one doesn’t have a D either.

The PO claimed that the grandpa had bought this new. Mine was one of the earlier ones made if that matters. I actually have a 49 in storage, and the vinplate for that one doesn’t have a D either.

Brian
tin or aluminum?

Thank you all for responding. I appreciate our feedback and pictures. I placed an order for one yesterday. Offline, I received a picture from Donn @ Left Coast Customs from a Jeepster that he has for sale:

Attachments

• Left Coast Donn Dabney.jpg
    Left Coast Donn Dabney.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back