Sparky's '56 Wagon Build

Spark....someone is watching over you and not the doc....the pic's are super son....love, love, love 'em. I have a great doc here that fixed me up....with my back....titanium rods - fused neck....advil and me are freinds with coffee in the AM...I try to stay off the pain meds. Stay positive....and safe.

Glad they got you patched back together. Hopefully the doctors can fix you original issue next try with no further complications.

It was good to talk with you tonight Steve. And I am glad you survived. It is an extremely dangerous and risky surgery and sometimes people forget that part. That's the reason they have you sign all those papers beforehand describing all the risks involved. It's great that you made it and are back home. It's too bad they weren't able to complete the surgery and fix what they intended to fix.

I am looking forward to talking with you again after your meeting with your doc this Wednesday.

Thanks for the very cool photos. It lifted my spirits today and made me wish I was in a warm climate just like that right now. This cold low pressure / winter makes my pain so much worse. My wife and I have been talking a lot about moving to Arizona or some place down south where it's warm in the winter.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Last edited:
If your thinking of moving to Arizona look into New River just North of Phx. lots of good homes cheap in the country. One of my best friends sells homes for a living and she could fix ya right up let me know and good luck :cheers:

well yeah but thats not my fault :D will maybe it is buy all my new parts out of state and all the used ones in state :lol:

So while I have been recovering from my failed surgry attempt I have been collecting some parts for my Wagon so when I'm able it's game on. After working with Novak on my GM bellhousing to Jeep transmision adapter with no luck I decided to pitch the GM bellhousing and stay with the Jeep bellhousing. The adapter is a much cleaner look being an adapter ring that fits between the bellhousing and the block. Novaks kit came with everything I need and is very well made with all new fasteners and pilot bearing. I just received the motor mounts that I ordered from Advanced Adapters and wow, they are beefy. The best part is I should be receiving my engine this week, it's a 2007 GMC 5.3l. I will post pic's when I get it.

Novak Jeep to GM adapter

GM engine to Jeep Bellhousing adapter Novak by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

Advanced Adapter LS1 Universal Motor mount

Engine Mounts Advance Adapters by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

Last edited:
That look's supercalafraggilextralliedoesis......but expensive...I still like it however!!!

Kev, GoJeep,

It's driving me crazy not being able to work on it especially with all of this free time that I have. It's pure torture because everytime I walk out the door there she is staring at me and begging for me to work on her. The good part about not being able to work on it right now is that it gives me time to do the proper research on the setup, combination or complexity of components and time to shop for the best prices and quality of parts. This time should limit the number of tries it would narmally take me to get it right, being my first 4x4 and without the help of my father.

Need your opinions,
In the picture below is my wagon mocked up with all major components in place. When I did the axle swap I left the centerline in the stock location and extended the frame out 6" to accomadate the longer Wagoneer springs. My concern or question is; What do you think about the front wheel vs front fender clearances? Is the wheel to close to the vetical part of the fender. Will I have enough room with the articulation of the axle? The tires shown are 31's and I don't think I would ever put anything larger than 35's. I have thought about extending the frame out another 2" to move the axle forward. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thx, Steve

[galleryimage:295eaa4y]1186[/galleryimage:295eaa4y]

Well I finally got around to post the pic's of my new engine. It a GM 5.3L out of a 2007 Avalanche with whooping 3 miles on it. The vehicle was certified decommission by GM due to body damage and could not be sold to the public. There are 2 or 3 salvage yards around the US who have contracts with GM to dismantle the vehicles that they decommisson for verious reasons. I went thru Spalding Auto Parts in Spokane, WA and their prices were better than most plus I got an engine that is basically brand new versus one that had a 100k miles from a random salvage yard. I purchased it as a "conversion" so it included the complete engine, wiring harness with both sets of oxygen sensors, ECU, accelerator pedal, A/C compressor, starter, flexplate, all hoses and belts. This is a turn key complete engine assembly.

I can't wait to get this into my wagon. Hopefully this weekend if I can round up some help.

Engine GM 5.3 front by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

Engine GM 5.3 side by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

Last edited:
I finally found the time and help to get my new engine into the Wagon this weekend. This just might be the first Hybrid Willys ever!!! The engine is a Flex Fuel LM7 so if gas prices continue to climb I will be building a moonshine still in the backyard... for fuel... of course. :D ECO Friendly and 300+HP, nice. To my suprise there is ALOT of room in the engine bay, no shoehorn needed. The way it sits right now there is about 3" between the firewall and the heads and 7" from the crankshaft pulley to the inside of the grill. Even the stock indent in the passanger fender well seems to be made for the air conditioning compressor hoses. The only tight spot is the steering shaft but there is still enough room to sneek it by the exhaust manifold and the frame. Now it's time to mount the Hydroboost and master cylinder. Enjoy the pic's

Steve

Engine Fitment 003 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

Enging Fitment 004 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

Engine Fitment 005 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

Last edited:
As alot of you know I have been out of the picture for a while due to I just had back surgery. The surgery went great and the Doc's were able to do everything that they wanted to do. It's been 3 weeks now and I feel great. Now my biggest problem is boredom. :( My Doc think that at the 3 month point I will be able to do light duty work, got my fingers crossed.

With all this time on my hands I have been doing some research on the the parts that I need to get my Wagon finished, at least to the point to where I can drive it. I'm getting close to having everything I need to get it to the point where I can drive it. I say now that I'm getting close but I know there soo many little parts that I haven't thought of yet.

I got the hydroboost, the hydraulic clutch master cylinder and hanging pedal assembly finished before my surgery. I'm not so excited about the big ole ugly master cylinder for the brakes but it's what I have. The hydraulic clutch system is a pretty cool setup. The master is for an early 70's CJ and then the hydo ram and bellhousing bracket are from Novak Adapters. With this setup I still retain the stock Jeep release fork and throwout bearing. I have been told that in the mid 70's Ford and other MFG's used a simular design but this saved me from crawling around on the ground at the salvage yard.

After talking with a few members from the forum about their expierences with aftermarket wiring harnesses I chose EZ Wiring 21 Circuit. This is alot of overkill but for the price and for the ability to expand later it was well worth it. I bought it on EBay for $155 (new) and it was here in 4 days.

Now I have to make a decision on my fuel system. I still need to decide which route I want to take for the fuel pump, intake or inline?????

Hydraulic Clutch Retro fit kit Novak by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

EZ Wiring by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good to hear your surgery went well, hopefully you will be back to working on the Willys in no time.

Hey Sparky

Wow that engine looks great from here. I am dumb as dirt when it comes to all this new fangled technology they have in these cars these days. You must be well versed in all the relays and coils and fuel systems and black boxes too. I wish you luck with this one. I would stumble for sure about now...
Thanks for sharing.
MikeC

Back