Sparky's '56 Wagon Build

Thanks Kev for the advice. I hope your feeling well.

I not a very skilled welder so my thoughts were, get it tacked in place and then send it out to get it professionaly welded. Another idea is my father-in-law is a PW so I may see if I can bribe him with some beer :cheers: or at least, I hope to get some good lessons out of him.

Progress report: I finally got all the unnecessary brakets cut off. What a job! I spent hours and hours of grinding, cutting and air chiseling. I guess the PO didn't trust the stock rivets, or maybe he got a new stick welder with an endless supply of rod for christmas. He went to town with his welder laying heavy welds on everything some that measured 3/4" wide and tall :shock: :evil: . I will be picking up the steel at the end of the week so I can start the frame extension and boxing in the frame. LET THE FAB BEGIN!

I am thinking about making my own spring mounts out of 4x4 tube steel. I've been told that this is do-able. Any thoughts?!

I'll get some pic's up this weekend.

Steve

I may not be thinking straight at the moment, but I believe that the Cherokee Chief leaf springs are the same width as the YJ Wrangler springs (2.5"). So you could just buy the Warrior brand spring anchors - They aren't expensive and they are heavy duty. And they look really nice. Same anchors I used on my Wagon.

If you are really wanting to build them, then I believe you need 3" inside measurement to account for the spring and bushing.

In fact, they are the exact same type of mount that is on the Cherokee Chief frame. Rear of the front leaf springs.

Sample photo of the ones I bought.

TJSpringAnchors.jpg

Good luck.

I took your advice Kev, and that of others, and bought some spring hangers from the Jeep Guy. I would like to add that The Jeep Guy has been a great help and the parts arrived in only 3 days. I also order the Jeep transmission to GM bellhousing adapter from Novak Adapters and it should be here today.

Now that the snow and the rain have left for a while and my parts are all here it's time to get back to work on the Willys.

Im extending the front of the frame 6" to accommodate the longer Wagoneer leaf springs and it will also give me a secure place to mount a winch. I got the frame extension fab up and tacked into place this weekend and also I clamped the axles back in place. I got a bunch of friends coming over tonight to watch the BCS game, Oregon vs. Auburn, go DUCKS!!! What they don't know is the price of admission is to help me put the body back on. :D

Once I get the body back on I can get the leaf springs welding in place and then start on mounting the engine and trans assembly.

Tear Down 007 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr
Who says it doesn't snow in Vegas.

Frame Mock up 003 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr
final fitment of the frame extension

Frame Mock up 004 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr
Tacked in place

Last edited:
Very nice work on the frame extension. Those spring anchors are pretty sweet and with the side tabs, it makes alignment much easier too. Great job!

HALF TIME REPORT

Beer, football and snacks was the key to get my friends over and to help me lift the body back onto the frame. Although the price I had to pay was tring to get everyones attention at the same time to give them the instructions. It took twice as long to get their attention than it did to get the body back on.

I was really suprised to see how little the frame squated down when we put the body back on. It only dropped about 2". I would have to believe that the Wagoneer body was considerable heavier than the Willys body. Either way I like the stance and I hope that she rides smooth.

Next I need to get the engine, trans and t/c mocked up and then it's time to welder' up.

I'm having some trouble getting the Jeep FSJ T-18 mounted up to a GM bellhousing. I bought the Jeep to GM adapter from Novak Adapters and it doesn't fully cover the trans to bellhousing spacer that the FSJ T-18's have. The bolt patern is correct but the adapter is to small overall to cover up the end of the spacer. I've been working with Novak Adapters and they are trying to come up with a solution for me. Im hoping that I can use the output shaft and 7/8" spacer from a T-18 out of a '72-'75 CJ to reduce the overall lenght. I should know today or tomorrow of what my options are.

The build 008 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Is the body sitting where it will end up now or will you centre the wheel in the arch?
If the body stays there you can just drill another set of centre pin holes on the spring pads further back to move the axle forward.

Good eye GoJeep. We put the body back on during the half-time of the BCS Bowl Game so we were in a hurry not to miss any of the game. I adjusted the body since then.

I have to say that the guys at Novak Adapters have been amazing to work with. After talking with them about my situation with the differences between the factory Jeep trans to AMC bellhousing adapter and Novaks adapter compatability, they went the distance by doing various mock-ups at thier shop to find a solution. I am sending them my factory adapter and they are going to make the changes to it and making a new Jeep transmission to GM bellhousing adapter so they will match up better.

The build 007 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr
Jeep T-18 (wide ratio) with stock Jeep transmisson to AMC bellhousing adapter

[galleryimage:1i1k7mv7]1004[/galleryimage:1i1k7mv7]
Jeep transmission to AMC bellhousing adapter (bottom) with Novak Adapter Jeep T-18 transmission to GM bellhousing (top)

Last edited:
Sparky Powers said:
Who says it doesn't snow in Vegas.

I went to vegas 2 or 3 years ago and it snowed on the strip. It was around this same time of year.

The fountain at tropicana was frozen.................so much for my golf vacation.

Update, I haven't had much time to work on my Wagon because I needed to get as much done around the house before my surgery as I can. Workmans Comp finaly thru in the towel after 2+ years and has okayed my back surgery. I'm going in for Lumbar Spinal Fusion/Disc Replacement surgery in the morning. I can't wait!!! I can't wait to start healing and start living again.

As for the Wagon, I got the power steering box mounted and also the steering column mocked up. This weekend I squeezed in enough time to get the engine, transmission and the transfer case set in place. When I can get back to work on the Wagon I will get the mounts made and ultimately, get her back on the road.

That's it for now. I will get pic's up in a week or so. :cheers: :cheers:

Steve

Keep us posted. Good luck on the surgery, hopefully it cures what ails you.

I sincerely hope everything goes as planned and your recovery is successful. Just be sure to do everything they tell you to do. Once you get back home give me a call. 208 863-1718.

I don't know if you have been through this before, but be sure to ask for pain medication whenever you need it. It will help you heal.

What's with this back surgery and working on a Willys ??? I had to have titanium rods in my lumbar section and fusion of L5 - L6....I over loaded myself with vitamins, veggies, apples and anything else healthy while recovering. After the first week and had a CT to check on bone growth, my doc was very pleased...Good Luck on recovery...
:thumbup: :thumbup: Keep your chin up!!!

I hope all goes well with your surgery Sparky... post an update when you are able. :cheers:

Pete

Steve
Besy of luck with the surgery. Hit me up if you need anything, we will get together soon!!
Scott

Thank you everyone for your concerns and prayers. My surgery went horribly bad but thankfully I'm alive, getting better and should have no longterm problems. Early on in the surgery (the anterior approach) the Vascular surgeon cut an artery and I bled out on the operating table. After a complete blood transfussion and recessatation they were able to revive me. I spent the next 4 days on life support. I am now at home and recovering well and they believe that there won't be any long-term ill affects. I will be meeting with my back doctor in a couple of weeks to talk about how we can fix my back now. I still staying positive...... it could have been worse.

Before this I was re-scheduled out to Valentines day so my wife and I decided to do a small road trip throughout the desert. We found alot of old mining towns and ghost towns which was a great way to shrug off the frustration of being re-scheduled. I cannnot tell you how many Willys that we ran across just sitting out in the desert.

This old town had at least 4 Willys. This wagons body is in great. The least amount of rust I've seen on a wagon before.
[galleryimage:1dtp12jq]1076[/galleryimage:1dtp12jq]

[galleryimage:1dtp12jq]1077[/galleryimage:1dtp12jq]

A pick-up hiding around the corner of the filling station.

Eldorado Canyon 033 by Sparky Powers, on Flickr

The RatRod truck in the front is built by the guys at Welder' Up at Red Rock Harley Davidson. What a coincidence to see them here too.
[galleryimage:1dtp12jq]1075[/galleryimage:1dtp12jq]

Last edited:
I just saw that rod in a magazine, weird, says he has 1000 hp and twin turbos :shock: , what a ride...some cool video on youtube also. BTW, how does a competent surgeon cut an artery?

Sparky Powers said:
Thank you everyone for your concerns and prayers. My surgery went horribly bad but thankfully I'm alive...

Damn Sparky... glad you are still with us... Hope you have better luck in the next round.

Pete

Sorry to hear that someone screwed up with something that important!!!! Glad you are doing better and keeping your chin up!!!!

Eric

Back