Apr 1, 2015
South Alabama
First Name
Austin
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
I have decided to swallow what little pride I have left and ask....HOW DO I USE THIS THING??? My buddy and I have tried once before to get it going but no luck. I got the PTO shaft to spin! but only for a few seconds :(

Here are some pictures of all my levers that I don't have a clue about. (I know which one is the gear shift! although admittedly the first time I test drove the jeep I left in reverse :rolleyes:)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Any help would be much appreciated as I am new to jeeps and 4x4's entirely.

- Austin

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 301
I think you should post one picture of the shifters taken from the drivers seat, right side up. As your pictures are now, it would be hard to tell you because the picture is up side down.

I think you should post one picture of the shifters taken from the drivers seat, right side up. As your pictures are now, it would be hard to tell you because the picture is up side down.

It keeps flipping the photos every time they are uploaded and I can't figure out how to change orientation. I'll take another one later and try again.

The small one by the seats is the PTO. The tall one next to the gear shift is your overdrive. The pair of short ones are your transfer case, high, low, and neutral, 2wd or 4wd. Hope this helps you some. There may be a chart on the inside of the glove box door for the transfer case and gear shift.

I have a Ramsey.
1. Put the high low, the short lever on the right, in neutral, on the transfer case
2. Put the transmission in revers, in your case to let the cable out.
3. The vertical lever behind the trans/transfer case engages the PTO, pull it back to engage the PTO while the clutch is depressed. You may have to slip the clutch to get it to engage. Let the clutch out while having someone in the front to engaging the winch lever and pull the cable out. Only one speed out and 3 speed in plus the RPM's
Hope this helps. It is a two man job. After you use it a couple of times you'll understand why it has disappeared.

I just rebuilt this a couple months ago. It'll go on the front of my wagon. Electric is easy. I will also be able to drive the wagon while winching myself out, if I ever need to.

Last reply I failed to mention, you should be able to free wheel the cable out by merely putting the winch lever in the "out" as in out of gear, position that would be to the drivers side. If it does not free well out you might have damage to the winch its self.

I have a Ramsey.
1. Put the high low, the short lever on the right, in neutral, on the transfer case
2. Put the transmission in revers, in your case to let the cable out.
3. The vertical lever behind the trans/transfer case engages the PTO, pull it back to engage the PTO while the clutch is depressed. You may have to slip the clutch to get it to engage. Let the clutch out while having someone in the front to engaging the winch lever and pull the cable out. Only one speed out and 3 speed in plus the RPM's
Hope this helps. It is a two man job. After you use it a couple of times you'll understand why it has disappeared.

I'm going to try this tomorrow! so the upside to the PTO winches vs electric is that they are super powerful but very inconvenient? thanks for the clear explanations.

I just rebuilt this a couple months ago. It'll go on the front of my wagon. Electric is easy. I will also be able to drive the wagon while winching myself out, if I ever need to.

That is a good lookin' winch. I plan on putting a warn on the jeep and taking all the pto stuff off one day, just have too many rust holes that need fixed first!

A winch is only as powerful as its cable strength, and the reduction gearing in the winch.

When you get it working, could you please run a couple of simple tests? Like, how many feet per minute of line speed for a certain engine RPM?

You should be able to drive while winching too, depending on the gearing. My Konig PTO winch line speed seems to work about the same speed as the low range first gear, so I can put the transfer case in low and pull with the winch at the same time. Never had to do this though, so it may not be completely practical like an electric winch...
Definitely a two man job, one behind the wheel and one watching the cable.

Pete

I have a Ramsey PTO winch like that.

On mine, the overdrive unit (Husky) bolts on where the PTO unit would go that drives the winch. So I can either have a working winch, or I can have an overdrive, but I can't have both with the current set-up.

Austin,

Old guy talking here. Be very careful using your winch - especially the first few times - as with all machinery, it is totally unforgiving. Read up on general winch use to avoid the stupid things inexperience can lead to. About the stupidest thing I did with our Koenigs winch caused no bodily harm to my son but buggered the fair-lead rollers and tore the hook off the end of the line.

There should be proper instructions for your Ramsey somewhere out there... make sure you don't try to winch something really heavy the first time and have a blanket over the line in case it snaps. Oh yes, keep your loved ones far away.

Operating it is tricky my grandpa served in WWII he told me stories and taught me how to operate the winches since in Texas you can drive in black clay one second and then hit sand the next with no warning the Willy's Jeeps did well with the winches. While it sounds weird and will feel weird you have to alternate, when your stuck tight you can run low range while using the pto to operate the winch. But if you still have trouble going through after you get out you just put the tansmission in neutral and power up the winch and let the tires freespin. This method puts more strain on the winch compared to an electric winch but is effective and what they were built for. I've learned the lesson the hard way old equipment needs to be run or it degrades, I destoyed the transmission and axle seals on a '41 tractor because I waited too long to put it under load.

Last edited:
My 2 cents. I like a PTO winch. I have a Ramsey winch with the adapter on the back of a Warn OD, so it is possible to have both OD and winch. In fact, I have the Borg Warned OD as well giving me 2 OD's and a winch. I have winched myself out of the "Static Driving Mode" many times alone either with winch power by itself or with drive train assist. You should be able to freewheel the cable out or power it out. I have a T98 transmission so 1st gear low is very, very slow and gives me time assess how the pull is going before anything bad happens. Just be careful and use some common sense. Replace the steel cable with some modern rope cable with a proper end termination. The rope cable doesn't build up the stress like a steel cable and come flying back to kill up if it snaps. I've heard the argument that if your vehicle won't start the PTO winch is useless. If that is the case, then you probably only have 1 decent pull with an electric winch on 1 battery before it goes dead as well. You could pull the spark plugs and get enough pull with just the starter turning a PTO winch to get unstuck as well.

My 2 cents. I like a PTO winch. I have a Ramsey winch with the adapter on the back of a Warn OD, so it is possible to have both OD and winch. In fact, I have the Borg Warned OD as well giving me 2 OD's and a winch. I have winched myself out of the "Static Driving Mode" many times alone either with winch power by itself or with drive train assist. You should be able to freewheel the cable out or power it out. I have a T98 transmission so 1st gear low is very, very slow and gives me time assess how the pull is going before anything bad happens. Just be careful and use some common sense. Replace the steel cable with some modern rope cable with a proper end termination. The rope cable doesn't build up the stress like a steel cable and come flying back to kill up if it snaps. I've heard the argument that if your vehicle won't start the PTO winch is useless. If that is the case, then you probably only have 1 decent pull with an electric winch on 1 battery before it goes dead as well. You could pull the spark plugs and get enough pull with just the starter turning a PTO winch to get unstuck as well.

If you swap over from steel cable to rope be sure and get rid of the roller fairlead. You need to use a nice new smooth aluminum fairlead to keep from chewing up your expensive new rope.

Using steel under load the thing to remember is to put an old jacket or blanket over the cable to help contain the energy on the cable if it breaks. Don't let anyone stand near the cable either.

I've received a couple of inquires about the adapter for the back of a Warn OD to install The PTO unit to operate a winch or other equipment. Attached is the original installation instructions from 30 years ago. Herm the Overdrive Guy has these available again on his web page.

Attachments

• PTO Overdrive Adapter.jpg
    PTO Overdrive Adapter.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 27
Back