Apr 1, 2015
United States
First Name
Jay
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
Hello again. I have a F-134 in my 1955 CJ3b. I cleaned up the fuel pump and that seems to be working fine after the jeep is running. The issue I have is starting after it has say for a long time. I look and I can see fuel in the glass bowl of the pump. I turn the key and it turns over just fine, but I have to keep turning it over for 10+ seconds, till get gets fuel in the carb. It seems like the fuel is drained from the filter and the line from the carb back to the pump. As soon as it starts the first time, it runs great. Suggestions on where to start my diagnosis?

How long is a "long time"? Are you using any choke when it has sat for a "long time"?

10+ seconds. It makes no difference if I use choke or not. It is as if there is no fuel in the line between the pump and the carb. As soon as it get fuel, it runs great. no choke needed.

One of the functions of a fuel pump is to act as a one way check valve.. Fuel should not gravity feed back to the fuel tank
when the engine is off...Just a guess, the fuel is draining back.. I hope this helps.

​I will ask again. How long between starts? One day? A week? Blindmelon is correct in that the pump should not allow fuel to flow back to the tank. The pump intake valve has either junk caught in it or has failed outright.

I will have the issue if it sit 8 hours or more. I will look more at the pump. the glass bulb in the pump has fuel in it, but that may be the same or lower than the tank. Interesting stuff for me to look into.

Sorry I hit the wrong button, I was trying to say I agree with Larry's diagnosis of a weak fuel pump valve. A common problem with old fuel pumps, if you can take it apart, clean the valve and try again.
diggerG

dumb question. i see that there is a gasket that goes with a new pump. the rocker arm on the manual pump is inside the engine. is that gasket to keep the oil from leaving out? I guess my questions is do I have to drain the oil to remove the pump? If I just pull the pump, will have an oily mess on my feet?

No. You don't have to drain any oil to change out the pump. Just don't forget to put a new gasket in when you reinstall or it will leak when you fire the motor up.

I have the same problem on my 55 CJ3b. I turn the motor over a couple times, then pump the fuel a few times, then crank a few more times, then pump fuel a couple more times, then BOOM she starts. I think this helps with the life of the starter motor rather than a 10+ second cranking. If mine sits more than a few hours, I have the same issue. I thought perhaps it had to do with the Solex. The glass bowl on the pump always stays full... SO i figured its draining from carb - pump rather than pump to tank.

I have the same problem starting my 48 after it sits overnight. The fuel pump and Solex carb are new. I always have to squirt fuel into the carb to get it it going. Once I get it started it runs fine and starts every time. My fuel pump has the wiper vaccume pump on the bottom, I’m not sure if it’s the right pump.

Starting procedure for a Solex does not include pumping the pedal. Pumping the pedal will flood the carb.

Back