And now for something a little different...Jeep FC170 "Patina Rod" (FC/F350/Cummins)

1x1_Speed_Craig

Bigger Hammer
Jan 22, 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
First Name
Craig
Willys Model
  1. Forward Control
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
I have build threads on a few other forums, but thought I'd throw one up here, too. In a nutshell, after owning 140+ Jeeps over the last 14 years (most of them parts vehicles), and wanting an FC for a decade, I finally found a great basis for a project.

I'm going the rat rod/patina route for a few key reasons:

• I LOVE the look of the natural finish on this truck!
  • My budget is pretty limited, so much in the spirit of the rat rod movement, I'm piecing together the best parts to build the truck I want to build...for limited out-of-pocket. I don't have any intention of paying thousands of dollars for bodywork & paint. In fact, I hope to have less in the whole truck than what it would cost for a high-end paint job.
  • Interior will have some creature comforts, and be comfortable enough for long-distance travel.
  • The truck needs to serve multiple purposes, including light towing (car hauling), expedition/camping, and fair-weather daily driving here & there.

The plans:

• Repair the floors in the cab and neutralize exterior rust as much as possible. Prep/paint the interior nicely, but retain the existing exterior paint scheme/patina, rust, etc.
  • Mount the cab on a 2008 Ford F350 Cab and Chassis frame (see below) painted nicely in satin black.
  • Mid-engine install of a '95 Cummins 6BT, 47RH 4WD transmission and 2001 Dodge NP241 DHD Transfer Case.
  • Build custom bumpers.
  • Build a semi-custom bed. The original bed is shot, so repair is not an option. Some of you chimed in and suggested rebuilding a bed like the stock one, but for me, the flatbed will give me the utility I need, and be a lot easier/cheaper than trying to reconstruct the stock-style bed.
  • Tire size? Stock F350 (~31-32" tall).
  • Must be built with a meager budget.

The FC170 cab donor (see below). I originally started with a different "Dan's Snowplowing" FC170 cab, but plans changed when I found the (better-condition) gray/patina FC170.
fc_chassis_cab_frame_side-by-side.jpg

fc_chassis_cab_frame_mockup.jpg

Jeep Commander "Saddle Brown" leather seats blend beautifully with the patina, and will add a touch of class to the interior. Matching custom leather arm rests and sun visors will complement the seats.
fc_interior_commander_leather.jpg

I wanted a stout, longer-than-stock heavy-duty frame for my project. Rather than work with the original frame, I decide to mount the cab on a late-model F350 Cab & Chassis frame, allowing me to use off-the-shelf suspension & axle parts. Ultimately, I landed on using a 74K-mile 2008 frame, which included the fuel tank, lines, etc. It also has the side pieces for a hitch (but not the center section).

The Ford Body Builder Guide on the Ford Fleet site has been an incredible resource for dimensional data.
fc_design_service_body_rendering.jpg

I got the narrow F350 Cab & Chassis Dana 80 (71.1" WMS-to-WMS) from the same 2008 F350 C&C. Gear ratio is 3.73.
fc_chassis_dana80_rear_axle.jpg

The front axle is a Dana Super 60 (3.73 ratio) from a 105K-mile 2005 F350 pick-up. I replaced the ball joints, U-joints & pinion seal, and am just finishing up getting the axle & suspension parts cleaned up & painted.
fc_chassis_dana60_front_axle.jpg

1994 Cummins 12v 6BT, 230K miles
fc_drivetrain_dodge2500_teardown_with_girls.jpg

Rebuilt 1994-1995 Dodge 47RH 4WD automatic transmission & 2001 NP241 DHD transfer case
fc_drivetrain_47rh_np241dhd_assembled.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to your updates, very cool project.

Pete

What a Far Out Unique Build you have on the Drawing Board Craig! Holy Cow! I really Dig it! I assume that you will have ramps to drive a vehicle up on this bad boy? I can't wait to follow your build and see your progress and Pictures a long the way. Very Cool Vehicle! Whoa, you will probably need a Foot Ball Field to turn that thing around, but you'll be the King of the Road cruising down the Highway! SWEET! John (aka: Pivnic)

Thanks guys.

Pivnic, the proportions may be off a bit. It's a 2008 F350 standard cab, 165" wheelbase frame, and it looks promising that I'll be able to use all OEM steering/suspension. It won't be short, by any means, but should turn tight enough for my needs. Regarding the ramps, I'll likely buy or make some for small vehicles (zero-turn lawnmower, etc.) to drive onto the bed, but the usable bed length behind the storage boxes will only be 9-10 feet. I plan on installing both a bumper-pull hitch, and probably a gooseneck hitch at some point (I don't yet own a gooseneck trailer, but very well may in the future).

Thanks guys.

Pivnic, the proportions may be off a bit. It's a 2008 F350 standard cab, 165" wheelbase frame, and it looks promising that I'll be able to use all OEM steering/suspension. It won't be short, by any means, but should turn tight enough for my needs. Regarding the ramps, I'll likely buy or make some for small vehicles (zero-turn lawnmower, etc.) to drive onto the bed, but the usable bed length behind the storage boxes will only be 9-10 feet. I plan on installing both a bumper-pull hitch, and probably a gooseneck hitch at some point (I don't yet own a gooseneck trailer, but very well may in the future).

Hi Craig. I did a GM Chassis Swap with my Willys Pickup and also a Cab Extension. I bet that your rig will attract a lot of attention! Hurry up and get this thing done! Hahaha. Pivnic

Hi Craig. I did a GM Chassis Swap with my Willys Pickup and also a Cab Extension. I bet that your rig will attract a lot of attention! Hurry up and get this thing done! Hahaha. Pivnic

Nice. Build thread? Mine will take a while. I'm much to picky to throw it together quickly. The chassis/axles will be painted in satin black, engine will be cleaned up/detailed, etc.

BTW. here's a "to-scale" 165" WB F350 cab & chassis. Obvioulsy, the FC cab will look different mounted over the front axle, but it'll give a better idea as to the proportions.

thumbnail

Removable toolboxes? You'll hate yourself if you need to load something long on it. That rig should be able to haul a #3000 vehicle. Good luck with the DOT however. They would be too dumb to figure it out, and you will pay!
diggerG

Looks like it will be a great build to watch.
For some reason I can't see a couple of the pictures? Don't know what your donor FC looks like for one.

Awesome. Look forward to following your progress.

Cheers from California,

Scramboleer AKA Dan

Thanks Dan!

This looks like a very cool build. Where are you located ?

Thank you. I'm in Grand Rapids, Michigan (our "Jeep garage" is just north of town).

Removable toolboxes? You'll hate yourself if you need to load something long on it. That rig should be able to haul a #3000 vehicle. Good luck with the DOT however. They would be too dumb to figure it out, and you will pay!
diggerG

Well, the Cummins will be taking up part of the bed space. I'll have plenty of length to work with. I have had a couple trailers, including a 16-foot utility trailer, and a M105A3 military trailer, and a little M416 1/4-ton military trailer, so I have a pretty good idea as to what I need.

Looks like it will be a great build to watch.
For some reason I can't see a couple of the pictures? Don't know what your donor FC looks like for one.

Weird. Finicky Facebook photo hosting (they seem to randomly change their file names "behind the scenes" here & there). I just edited my original post...hopefully you can see the pics now, Gojeep.

Progress...

While the snow was still on the ground, my friends at G2 Inc. (Precast Concrete, Steel Erection & Crane Rentals) treat me very well, and helped me move the unwieldy beast (16-foot aluminum flatbed) out of the way with a SkyTrak until which time it'll be mounted on the frame. It's amazing how easy the right equipment makes the job. Thanks G2!!!

I have also been working on getting the cab/truck further disassembled (between pulling & shipping FC parts for people). Despite appearances, this is actually progress (bed mostly removed, and closer to cab removal).

#SawzallFTW #IHeartMilwaukeeTools
fc_cab_teardown_1.jpg

Oh, between all of that, I'm also building 2-door Jeep Cherokees with each of my daughters (ages 14 & 12, respectively). Mira's '97 XJ 2-door is getting close (build thread HERE), while we have more time with Maeve's 2000 XJ. This is a couple weeks ago when we removed her front axle to replace the control arm bushings, control arms, steering components, etc. We'll also be painting it before reinstall.

Maeve's new $500 XJ

projects_maevexj_orig_1.jpg

Last edited:
Weird. Finicky Facebook photo hosting (they seem to randomly change their file names "behind the scenes" here & there). I just edited my original post...hopefully you can see the pics now, Gojeep.

Saw the original donor now thanks. Facebook do change the URL's of the pictures about once a year. Drove me nuts with my long thread I have on my build having to redo all the URL's. Strangely the pictures I have on my Jeepaholics page I had linked too, https://www.facebook.com/Jeepaholics, they have never changed?

Saw the original donor now thanks. Facebook do change the URL's of the pictures about once a year. Drove me nuts with my long thread I have on my build having to redo all the URL's...

<insert_groveling_regarding_why/> :D Cool! Glad you can see the pics again.

I'm not sure why it took my procrastinating self so long to actually do this (probably because I thought I'd already have the cab mounted on the "new" 2008 F350 Chassis Cab frame by now), but I finally measured the track width on the FC170 so I could get an idea as to how the 2005+ Dana Super 60 with dually wheels/tires would look under the cab.

DISLAIMER: The wheels & tires in these pics are not stock, but rather are from a '78 CJ-7, and were given to me as "rollers" by a co-worker who I have helped out with some things. Normally, I dig the skinnier "pizza cutter" tire look on Jeeps, but I actually don't mind the stance these have on the FC. I do not, however, like when the wheels & tires stick way out past the body lines/flares...just personal preference/my personal taste.

My daughter, Mira, and I took a very technical approach to getting an accurate track width (center-to-center between front tires). We eyeballed the center of each tire, and measured away.

• ~68" center-to-center, Current wheels/tires on stock front axle (79" outside of sidewalls, if anyone's interested).
  • 68.3" center-to-center for the F350 Chassis Cab, whether SRW or DRW (per fleet.ford.com)

So despite these trucks giving the illusion of being smaller vehicles, they're actually bigger than they appear. The full-width, late-model Ford front axle will look great under the truck, IMHO, particularly with the wide flatbed and dually rear axle (the FC cab is ~70" wide, not including flares, if anyone is curious).

Last edited:
Forgot to mention...

If anyone has experience with Jeep Commanders, I'm curious to get your thoughts on the comfort of the 2nd-row seating (minus there not being enough leg room). I found a local salvage yard parting out a 73K-mile 2006 Commander, and thought the 2nd-row seats would work well for the FC after I flatten the engine tunnel/hump.

They have manual controls, offer a few degrees of tilt (I can also adjust the recline position when building custom seat mounts), and also fold down/flip forward. The center position can be either a seat, or a flip-down armrest with drink holders.

Thoughts? Opinions?

154_0611_05_z%2B2006_jeep_commander_xk%2Bseating.jpg

I think I found a couple different (very affordable) Jeep Commander Limited "Saddle Brown" 2nd-row leather seats locally. I'll call first thing on Monday to confirm. I hadn't thought about brown seats for my FC project, but I think this would blend beautifully with the patina on the cab, and the rest of the gray FC interior.

Last edited:
I think those seats would be a big improvement regardless on the stock ones.

Glad to here about the width of the cab. Thinking one of these might be my next project. ;)

I think those seats would be a big improvement regardless on the stock ones.

Glad to here about the width of the cab. Thinking one of these might be my next project. ;)

Agreed, and you're welcome.

For less than a pair of cookie-cutter aftermarket Mastercraft suspension seats, I actually found a complete set of 2006 Jeep Commander seats (front seats, 2nd row AND 3rd row, including front seat belts & retractors) LOCALLY in the rare "Saddle Brown" color. This is the only pic I have so far. More to come once I get them home. I'm not sure yet if I'll use the front seats or the 2nd row for my truck. Time will tell...

I also have a co-worker who has a side business doing custom leather work. While I won't need all of the seats for my truck, a couple of them may very likely donate matching leather panels for things such as matching sun visor covers, arm rests/door pulls, etc.

Last edited:
I intend to use the leather rear seats to make the door cards etc from in my build.
What is the cab width of these between the inside of the doors? Just wondering how they compared to the trucks?

Back