And now for something a little different...Jeep FC170 "Patina Rod" (FC/F350/Cummins)

Just read though your thread Craig. Great attention to detail. I too, bought a shifter from JB Custom Fab for my 241C for my pickup. I mocked it up and it's going to work great. Glad I decided to check out the FC side and can't wait for some more updates. Love the father daughter projects as well. Something they will always remember. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Back to the project...sort of. I revisited my FC Super Hurricane light fixture project, and ordered some Candelabra-base 40-Watt Edison bulbs, and a couple 3-socket plugs/wires with which to install them. A machinist friend currently has the head, and will be machining a LOT of the material out of the back to lighten it up. He'll also be boring the spark plug holes to 0.75", which is the diameter of the light bulb sockets.

fc_misc_cylinderhead_bulbs.jpg

My friend Andy in California was nice enough to send me this giant rod from something-or-other. It looks like it was never used. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to use it for, but it's definitely an interesting (and heavy) piece. If anyone happens to know what this would have been used for, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

fc_misc_giant_rod_from_andy.jpg

Another Jeep friend and co-worker bought these Mopar-option Kicker speakers as an upgrade for his Wrangler sound bar, then sold the Jeep before he installed them. He let me have them for $35. I was fortunate enough to find a local guy parting out an '04 Durango, and was able to snag the Mopar-specific plugs and wiring pigtails for these speakers. The audio stuff will be down the road a ways, but I jumped on the deal when they were available.

fc_accessories_mopar_kicker_speakers.jpg

Does this pan make my bottom end look big? I got my new Mag-Hytec pan installed on my rebuilt 47RH, and also got the transmission mount reinstalled. I ended up going with a new $23 (sale) trans mount from Advance Auto instead of the $80 (with my dealer discount) Mopar version. I couldn't justify spending that much for something so basic. Thanks, Fiat, for the over-inflated Dodge parts prices.

fc_drivetrain_47rh_mag-hytec_pan_installed.jpg

And finally, after many, many months, the 47RH and NP241 DHD are assembled, and sitting safely in storage in a spare room until which time they'll be mated to the Cummins 12v, which I still need to degrease, re-gasket (to an extent), and paint.

The little dollies are Harbor Freight 1000-lb. capacity units I picked up for $8.99 each. They roll like they were $8.99 each, but serve their purpose in this case. I have minimal complaints for the price.

fc_drivetrain_47rh_np241dhd_assembled.jpg

looks like you could eat off of that thing. nice work.

Thanks Auggie.

Update...

I got the 2WD 47RH transmission removed from the engine last weekend, and shortened the "Dodge frame dolly" by about 16"...easier storage, and easier to wheel around the garage. I'm underwhelmed by the original Dodge frame; I'm glad I went with the Super Duty frame, which is easily 2.5x the thickness of the Dodge frame.

fc_drivetrain_cummins12v_dolly.jpg

Back to my original 226 engine cylinder head lighting project. My friend, Scott, was nice enough to machine the back of the cylinder head to lighten it up. It started out at a portly 41.2 lbs., and ended up at a svelte 18.0 lbs. It's still heavy, but a couple lag bolts will hold it just fine.

fc_misc_cylinderhead_machined.jpg

I have a switch & cord temporarily wired to it, but will be having a wall switch & dimmer wired so there won't be a cord hanging down from it. And here's how it looks! The photo doesn't do justice to the spiral pattern in the Edison bulbs. It's visible in-person, but not in the pic.

fc_misc_cylinderhead_lit_up.jpg

Last edited:
finally. i saw the pic on facebook and have been waiting for it to show up here. what did you do to seal it that makes it look so nice?

finally. i saw the pic on facebook and have been waiting for it to show up here. what did you do to seal it that makes it look so nice?

Just boiled linseed oil. It looked a little more red when I first did it. The color "mellowed" more to a brown over a little time.

Things have been a little quiet/slow on the FC front, but Spring 2016 is breaking, and with that comes some new enthusiasm about getting stuff done (mostly paint work that I couldn't easily do over the winter). I've also been taking a Krav Maga (self-defense) class a couple times/week, so my limited garage time is further impacted.

First, here are some of the little accomplishments for which I don't have any pictures:

• I replaced the rear output seal on the '01 NP241 DHD transfer case. The transfer case has now been completely re-sealed, and should be good for years & years of leak-free use.
  • I got most of my parts off the dining room table. I won't lie, though...I still have a beautiful Dana 80 rear caliper still sitting there so I can gaze lovingly upon it while we eat. Eventually, I'll get the second caliper sandblasted and painted to match.
  • I broke out my 7-pc. Eastwood Hammer & Dolly set, which I purchased well over a year ago, for the first time this weekend. I used it for the mundane task of straightening a bent-up Dana 80 dust shield. It was a minor job, but these made it easy to shape it back to a respectable profile.
  • I welded a set of new casters on my engine hoist...much needed after 15 years of use on the original steel casters that really didn't want to cooperate when trying to turn anymore. The new casters have bigger-diameter poly "tires" and are greasable. Best of all, the thing now steers where it's supposed to.
  • I've also been cleaning/purging/organizing in the garage. I had collected years of misc. Jeep bolts/hardware, and got everything I needed organized into labeled bins.

I found these 6K-mile take-off parts from a 2015 F250 Platinum (with 6.7L Power Stroke diesel) in Texas. Normally, the geography wouldn't be ideal, but my brother-in-law lives down there, and is picking them up for me this week. We'll be visiting him and his family this summer, so I'll haul them back with me then. I already have some of these parts (coil springs & radius arms), but these take-offs have such little use. I can certainly use the shocks, and the 4400-lb. (light) coil springs will give me a "fine-tuning" option should my existing springs be too stiff.

fc_chassis_2015_super_duty_suspension_takeoffs.jpg

I also circled back to my FC170 "wall decor" grill. Over the weekend, I removed the lower skirting, partial A pillars that were still attached, and the inner windshield/dash support. Basically, I 95% de-skinned it, which lightened it up a lot. I'll be repairing the lower sheet metal and filling the windshield wiper holes, then doing some minor bodywork (dent removal). I'll repaint the blue area, but will keep the white/patina center section as-is. We're thinking this will end up being a headboard for our bed, providing it doesn't dwarf the room in our tiny house.

fc_misc_grill_decor_2.jpg

fc_misc_grill_decor_3.jpg

In the course of cleaning/purging, I removed these hardware pieces from the Jeep Commander 2nd-row seats, and recycled the rest of the seat frames. The two pieces with the cables were originally spring-loaded, cable-actuated releases for the head rests to collapse when the two outer portions of the rear seat are folded down. The big center piece is a spring-loaded release to the center section of the seat to fold down (pull a strap to unlock the seat back). I already have some ideas for re-using all of this hardware.

fc_interior_commander_misc_hardware.jpg

Meanwhile, vehicles like the 2015 EJS Jeep FC150 concept vehicle, showcasing an original FC150 body transplanted on a shortened, late-model 2005 Wrangler (TJ) chassis, continue to help drive up the excitement about (and price of) these crazy-looking Forward Control trucks. I'm glad I got mine when I did!

1960-jeep-fc-150-concept-1.jpg

Man; you must have a really loving wife or girlfriend! Love the Super-Hurricane lamp. This looks like a really cool project.
John

Several side projects, one of the kids graduating, planning a bathroom remodel, and purging/selling some stuff has limited my hands-on work with the Patina Rod, but I've been researching wheels & tire options a LOT.

My primary struggles with using the stock-sized 17" x 6.5" Super Duty dually wheels are:

• The stock-sized F350 Super Duty tires (LT245/75R17E, ~32" height) would look kind of puny on the truck, especially given the long 165" wheelbase.
  • There are HUGE limitations in regards to taller (but narrow) tires that will work on a dually.
  • Buying six (6) tires rather than four (4) obviously means more cash outlay than your average truck/Jeep build.

Well, I stumbled across what I think is a great option—one that's used on $300-500K Super Duty-based EarthRoamer off-road/expedition RVs. 20" Hutchinson MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected) aluminum double beadlock wheels are abundant in the military surplus market, typically for $100 each. I can use them with a set of 335/80 R 20 (40.6" tall) Continental MPT 81 tires, and go the "super single" route in lieu of using the stock dual rears. Western Canadian Rockwell got back to me quickly (thanks Neil!), and can make plates to adapt the 10-bolt ~13 ¼” bolt pattern down to the 8 x 200mm Super Duty dually bolt pattern.

Here's what the wheel & tire combo looks like on an F550-based EarthRoamer chassis.
earthroamer.jpg

We're heading to Texas later this summer, and there's a supplier on the way that has an ample supply of these take-off MRAP wheels. I'm seriously considering swinging in and buying a set.

Craig

Last edited:
Here's what the wheel & tire combo looks like on an F550-based EarthRoamer chassis.
earthroamer.jpg

The military MRAP wheel idea has been "deep sixed", unfortunately. A guy named Jason from Hutchinson was a HUGE help...amazing customer service, despite that I wasn't actually a customer. The MRAP wheels, Jason told me, have higher lips than civilian wheels to support 46-53" tires. I also learned that EarthRoamers use wheels that look similar to the MRAP wheels, but they're actually specially built for F450/F550 trucks (the center discs, anyway), and the lips are shorter.

SO, I reeled things in a bit, and plan on picking up some 20" DRW-to-SRW conversion wheels of some sort, and will most likely be going with BF Goodrich KO2 All-Terrains in the 34-34.5" tall range. I did make a couple calls to Rickson Truck Wheels over the last few weeks, leaving voicemail messages that were never returned. Apparently, they don't care much about making a sale (I've seen several posts about poor customer service). I'll keep researching wheel options.

Knowing that I'm hoping to get the chassis in "roller" status before 2017 hits, I picked up a Daystar Super Duty 2-2.5" leveling kit (P/N KF09119BK), and also ordered some Fat Bob's Garage front shock extenders.

fc_chassis_daystar_leveling_kit_1.jpg

Got distance? I picked up a pallet of two (2) NOS military surplus Caiman BAE MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicle self-healing/bullet-resistant aluminum fuel tanks, one of which I'll install in the bed of the Patina Rod (I'll sell the 2nd tank). It's a 78-gallon tank with 72.6 gallons of usable capacity. That should equate to 1000 miles of driving before needing to refuel. Tank dimensions are roughly 47"W X 29"D X 19"H.

Mounting it in the front of the bed, where it'll fit very nicely, will still allow us 7.5 feet of usable bed space to haul stuff, sleep in when we travel (or should have to bug out, as this will also be our BOV).

The science nerd in me loves the technology with the self-sealing coating, too. Have a look-see...
https://youtu.be/R6qHY1H6piE

I also ordered an ISSPRO fuel sending unit (P/N RA9517-ISS), which will bolt right into this tank.

fc_chassis_mrap_fuel_tank_1.jpg

fc_chassis_mrap_fuel_tank_2.jpg

fc_chassis_mrap_fuel_tank_3.jpg

Of course I haven't used them yet, but I picked up an Eastwood base plate, which mounts in a vice, for the Eastwood Shrinker/Stretcher kit I already had. I'll eventually need these for some windshield lip repair.

fc_misc_eastwood_shrinker-stretcher_baseplate.jpg

I'm off work on vacation all week, and hope to get some painting done, as I've had several side projects that have diverted me from the FC work. The remaining rear leaf spring and Dana 80 rear axle are next to get prettied up.

Craig

Last edited:
So, my in-laws are showing their '55 Chevy Ambulance at a car show over the 4th of July weekend, and my Mother-In-Law won a Painless Performance 25% discount as a door prize. Since she had no use for it, she offered it to me, and I graciously accepted it.

I ended up ordering P/N 10220, which is a Classic-Plus Customizable Trunk Mount/Remote-mount Chassis Harness. I also ordered a PowerBraid chassis kit for it.
fc_chassis_painless_wiring.jpg

A year after painting the first leaf spring, I finally got the other one prepped, painted & installed with the help of my wonderful wife. These suckers are heavy! I'm thankful for the borrowed chainfall that I used to hoist it up while prepping/painting.
fc_chassis_springs_painted_hung.jpg

Does this axle make my rear end look big? :D

I finished prepping and painting the Dana 80 dually rear axle, with the exception of prep/paint on the rotors & hubs, which will come at a later date.

A couple weeks ago, I built a simple, yet VERY helpful, dolly set-up to aid with install while keeping the paint looking pretty. I used some spare lumber, a bunch of casters from old Harbor Freight creepers that broke over the years, and a few bottle jacks from parts Jeeps. This allowed my wife & I to carefully position, then raise the axle into place. It worked very well.
fc_chassis_dana80_reinstalled.jpg

We're heading to San Antonio soon to visit with my Brother-In-Law and his family, and we'll also be hauling home some new 2016 Super Duty take-off suspension parts (radius arms, springs, shocks & misc. brackets).

Craig

i love patina. but with the detail you are putting into your chassis i would almost think you would want to finish off the cab to match.

it looks really good.

i love patina. but with the detail you are putting into your chassis i would almost think you would want to finish off the cab to match.

it looks really good.

Thank you, Auggie. Fair question, but I still plan on keeping the patina look on the cab. I like how it'll complement/augment the clean look of the chassis/drivetrain. I have a vision. That being said, I'm sure there a lot of different opinions on how I *should* build it.

Very cool project. I never leave the wagon build thread section....Glad I did!

I friended Craig on facebook to follow over there as well. He has been moving houses and had to sell his FC. a guy in texas bought it and will continue with Craigs plan but instead of the utility bed he plans to make it a car hauler. I have included a link the facebook build below. I also asked the new owner if he was going to update this thread and he said he would see what he could do. I do hope we see him here are this project is awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/FC170PatinaRod/?fref=ts

Its been a while, any updates?

Well, as Auggie mentioned, I sold the project to a great guy named Chris in Texas. I texted him today after seeing your post notification, and he's been wrapped up with other projects (including buying a high-horsepower engine for his J-20 project :)).

He did take over the Facebook page, which you can Like here:
https://www.facebook.com/FC170PatinaRod

Me? I'm wrapped up with multiple house projects, and building the fattest-tire cargo (mountain) bike you've probably ever seen (pic attached).

Attachments

• MyMediumBigFatDummy.JPG
    MyMediumBigFatDummy.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 37
What exactly do you do with a bike like that? I mean it looks built to serve a very specific purpose....What exactly is that purpose? I would imagine it gets laiden down with some camp gear.

Like he said; it's a cargo bike. Made to carry lots of stuff and/or weight. When we lived in Washington State, we used to see parents taking their kids to the Grocery store on these. It's the SUV of bicycles. We also had a local fish broker who carried boxes of frozen Alaskan Salmon on or behind his, to deliver to local restaurants (Cape Clear Salmon).

Back