Nov 24, 2009
Conifer, Colorado
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Hello everyone. We are Three Months away from the Forum's 2015 Willys Moab Rally. I went to the Forum's Calendar to confirm the Moab Dates (May 15- 17) and also noticed that there were only TWO People Registered to go! REALLY? Let's Get Moving on this and get Registered so the Rally Organizers can plan for how many bodies will be there for reservations, buying food amounts, etc. You guys that currently have your Willys Trucks in Pieces right now (Like Mine), Start burning the Midnight Oil and get your trucks ready to go! Go to
http://www.willysrally.com/ and check it out and, get your Entourage Registered, mark it down on your calendar, and get your truck ready! Maybe to get this "Movement" Started, Add a Post on this thread with your Name and How many from your "Party" are planning (For Sure) to attend this Forum's Willys Moab Rally on May 15-17. Also, so ahead and also include a picture of two of your past Moab Rally Adventures you may have on this thread too! And DON'T Forget to Register at the link provided. Let's make this year's Moab Rally Trip BIGGER Than EVER! Pivnic

OK, Unless something happens, Barb and I are planning on being there this year. I don't think we will be bringing the truck but if it's OK we might bring the Cherokee XJ. Just so the kids can go if they want to since we will be there for a couple weeks.
100_0034.jpg

Tom

Wish I could (I know I say this every year), but my wife is due with our second kid then. Have a great time and I'm looking forward to the pictures, videos, and stories.

I will be there with our older daughter in my JK.
The Wagon is years away from being ready. :(

The rally will be a small part of her week-long, birthday trip to the high deset - Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley, etc.
I already have a cabin booked at the Lazy Lizard.

I may be bringing a friend and his daughter as well. Won't know 'till much closer to the time.

See you then.

Wish I could (I know I say this every year), but my wife is due with our second kid then. Have a great time and I'm looking forward to the pictures, videos, and stories.

Dan, we are thinking of heading over to the san Francisco area after we leave Moab then up to Oregon. Might have to look you up.

John, Sounds like your Daughter is going to have a blast of a birthday.

Last edited:
Joseph and I are the 2 currently registered... Looking forward to the event again this year.

4d08086033f811e2a94522000a1fbc56_7.jpg

Here's a clip from a couple of years ago of the "official" cruise that was in Arches Nat'l Park:

[video=youtube;zljErL4aJBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zljErL4aJBU&list=PLg9JiekSBQcDmt24N8XtORlH z3gBqp3MZ&index=3[/video]

And a couple of "un-official" trail runs around Moab after the event.

[video=youtube;55fH3sgO578]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fH3sgO578&index=1&list=PLg9JiekSBQcDmt24 N8XtORlHz3gBqp3MZ[/video]

[video=youtube;ntRmmTzY0iA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntRmmTzY0iA&index=4&list=PLg9JiekSBQcDmt24 N8XtORlHz3gBqp3MZ[/video]

If you have never been before, it is BIG FUN!. The sooner everyone registers, the better for the organization of the event...

Pete

Also, even if your Willys isn't ready for the trip, you should consider attending anyway. There is always an empty seat to tag along on the trail rides...

Pete

Dan, we are thinking of heading over to the san Francisco area after we leave Moab then up to Oregon. Might have to look you up.

Sounds like your Daughter is going to have a blast of a birthday.

Tom, please do. It'd be great to see you. Also, if you plan on taking the coastal route from SF to Oregon, send me a PM. I'm from that part of the state and have a few thoughts. The other option is just to bonzai up Highway 5 from the Bay Area to Oregon.

Oh, and it's a boy this time. Our two-year-old daughter loves cars though... hope to support that as much as possible.

I'm disappointed about missing the Moab Rally this year; my plan was to trailer my dad's '46 CJ2A out and make a week of it.

I was just wondering... Colorado MAY have the Most Forum Members. Who from Colorado is planning to go to Moab this May? Let's get it together and get as many as possible to go this year! Let me hear from you if you are going to Moab! Pivnic.

My pickup came from Colorado before I got it.. They beat it ugly out there...Ranch and snowplow duty
ain't for wimpy trucks............. And it was made in Maywood, CA.
Its back home now, being pampered.. I only ask a few hundred miles of her each month... Well, maybe a thousand.

Hi Larry. Ha, my Willys Pickup was a Farm Truck in Montana. When I built the truck to what it is now, you wouldn't believe all the "old farmer repairs' that were made with Baling wire and bent over nails! My Willys Wagon was from South Fork Colorado and it lived on a Ranch snow plowing access to all the hunter's cabins etc. Both trucks were Rust Free, however, neither were DENT Free! Pivnic

Farm Truck 001.JPG
Hi Larry. Ha, my Willys Pickup was a Farm Truck in Montana. When I built the truck to what it is now, you wouldn't believe all the "old farmer repairs' that were made with Baling wire and bent over nails! My Willys Wagon was from South Fork Colorado and it lived on a Ranch snow plowing access to all the hunter's cabins etc. Both trucks were Rust Free, however, neither were DENT Free! Pivnic

I was almost as lucky with my "Farm" truck. The bed was, well, in certain areas you could see from one side clear thru to the other.. Those stake pockets like to hold dirt with an icing of snow and ice...Perfect location for a "rust test".........How many winters does it take to make sheet metal disappear?

Last edited:
Hi John, Nancy and I will be there. The wagon won't make it again this year, but we're going to bring the Commando. I'm doing a bunch of work to it right now, so it should be ready. Are you staying a couple of extra days this year? I think we will. I'd like to hit some of the other trails this year.

Terry

Hi Dan & Terry: I am trying to find out if my Son in Law Alvin is going to go to Moab. His work schedule takes him out of State a lot, so we may not know for awhile what's happening. What day and time are you guys planning on leaving for Moab? If we can coordinate it, maybe we can all meet some where and Convoy to Moab together. Will you guys be driving or trailering your Trucks? I would be trailering mine. Terry, the extra days will depend if Alvin can get the time off. I'm Re-Doing my Truck's Interior so it's all apart right now, but will (Should) have it back together before May. Where do you guys normally stay at? I've had a cabin outside of town by the River. Let's try to get more Colorado Willys Members interested in going to Moab. Thanks for posting me your plans. Let's keep in touch about this. John (aka: Pivnic)

I am hoping to attend but my truck (me and wife) will definitely NOT be up for the drive from Arizona to Utah at 45 mph. Therefore, if I make it I will have to trailer it there. As it is I still have a lot of work to do to get it road worthy. Can we get a list of best places to stay put up somewhere?

I am hoping to attend but my truck (me and wife) will definitely NOT be up for the drive from Arizona to Utah at 45 mph. Therefore, if I make it I will have to trailer it there. As it is I still have a lot of work to do to get it road worthy. Can we get a list of best places to stay put up somewhere?

Clyde- nothing wrong with getting there on a trailer, I do it every year since I am a 10 hour drive away... My suburban gets better mileage pulling the wagon on a trailer than the wagon gets pushing itself down the road...

moab14-01.jpg

Here is a link to places to stay in Moab: http://www.willysrally.com/Lodging/lodging.html

Quite a few of us stay at the Apache, which is pretty close to downtown and Zax Pizza. We usually hang out at the picnic tables around back for a beverage or two after the event. The Apache is an older hotel, and a bit on the flea-bag side, but it is clean and relatively inexpensive at $89 a night.

Just so everyone is aware, lodging in Moab fills quickly, as there are usually two or three major events happening on any given weekend throughout the year. The last couple of years our event has coincided with a UTV group of 300+ folks in Moab. If you are planning to go, I would highly recommend getting your room reservation now... You can always cancel if your plans change.

Pete

Hi John, Nancy and I will be there. The wagon won't make it again this year, but we're going to bring the Commando. I'm doing a bunch of work to it right now, so it should be ready. Are you staying a couple of extra days this year? I think we will. I'd like to hit some of the other trails this year.

Terry

Hey Terry, Barb and I, I am pretty sure are going to be there and like you, we will be staying for a while afterwards. With that being said, we can totally explore some crazy trails with you guys. We will probably have the XJ shown in an earlier post.

I also think we will be camping on BLM land down on Kane Creek road on the Colorado.

Last edited:
My son Dylan, father James and myself plan to be there again this year!! James will have his 55 CJ-5 this year too!
See you all soon!

Best- Gavin

Hi Dan & Terry: I am trying to find out if my Son in Law Alvin is going to go to Moab. His work schedule takes him out of State a lot, so we may not know for awhile what's happening. What day and time are you guys planning on leaving for Moab? If we can coordinate it, maybe we can all meet some where and Convoy to Moab together. Will you guys be driving or trailering your Trucks? I would be trailering mine. Terry, the extra days will depend if Alvin can get the time off. I'm Re-Doing my Truck's Interior so it's all apart right now, but will (Should) have it back together before May. Where do you guys normally stay at? I've had a cabin outside of town by the River. Let's try to get more Colorado Willys Members interested in going to Moab. Thanks for posting me your plans. Let's keep in touch about this. John (aka: Pivnic)

We're staying at Motel 6, just made the reservation. Plan on leaving here early Friday morning. It would be great if we could hook up in the Denver area and all head over together. I'll be hauling mine on the trailer.

Terry

Back