Richmond, VA
First Name
Richard
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Ok, here's the plan,

I recently picked up a 1950 Jeepster that PO put on a 73 Jeepster Commando frame. The 73 Commando model number is C104, meaning it has 104" wheelbase, but they are commonly referred to a "bullnose" Commando. 71 and earlier Commandos were pre AMC C101's (101" wheelbase) with an odd fire Buick V6 engine (C104's had either an AMC straight 6 or V8). Mine is the straight six (PO hacked the firewall) with a TH400/20 TC.

Several years ago I picked up a CJ10A airplane tug with the 6 cylinder Nissan SD33 diesel. These things are very unique vehicles and this one is in fantastic shape. The tub went to a friend for a CJ pickup project but I kept everything else. The little diesel runs great and these things have a HD mobile home TF727 auto transmission with a NP208 TC with low range only.

While the CJ10A looks like a CJ the frame is from a Wagoneer but has been chopped at the back and heavy duty springs attached with a super wide Dana 70 rear axle with 4.88 gears (there is also a 1200 pound hunk of steel sitting on top of the rear axle).

I have been saving this for just the right project and have picked up a second complete running engine plus all the parts needed to turbocharge the engine (some Scouts had the early non turbo SD33 and later the SD33T turbo version). I plan to marry the Jeepster body to the CJ10A frame adding the required rear frame extension for the appropriate wheelbase with high pinion Dana 60's in front and back.

The Jeepster is in decent shape but will still need some floor pan and firewall repairs as well as addressing some minor body rust.

The PO still has the original Jeepster frame and I may be able to pick it up if someone is interested in it, but I am headed toward a diesel 4x4 with my project. At this point I am still in the planning and information gathering phase so all constructive comments, resources and leads are welcomed.

Cheers!

Richard

sounds fun, i'll be watching. i am a little sad that the 10a got torn apart. is your friend doing a build on that anywhere?

Yes and, sadly, no. Here is Ted's build thread from over on CJ8 website;

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?23537-CJ-18a

Sadly, Ted passed away very suddenly before he could finish the project. As he was a close friend and we built several Jeeps together I have most of it. I am not sure at this point what I will end up doing with it.

sounds fun, i'll be watching. i am a little sad that the 10a got torn apart. is your friend doing a build on that anywhere?

Why put the Nissan Diesel in the Jeepster? What's the h/p ? Torque ? Are you going to drive it any great distance so you can save on gas ? Is it just for the uniqueness of it ?

Why put the Nissan Diesel in the Jeepster?

Short answer is because I have it and it is a complete, running drivetrain. These are excellent engines and run forever with little maintenance.

What's the h/p ? Torque ?

Here are the unmodified specs for a SD33T.

Engine........................SD33T by Nissan
Type..........................4-cycle Diesel
Configuration.................Inline 6-cylinder
Displacement..................198 cu. in. (3.2 litres)
Bore & Stroke.................3.27 x 3.94 in.
Compression Ratio.............21:1
Carburetion...................Direct fuel injection
Aspiration....................Turbocharged (max boost 6.5 PSI)
SAE Net Horsepower............101 @ 3100 RPM
SAE Net Torque (lb/ft)........175 @ 2200 RPM

There are a number of mods that can boost these numbers without damaging the engine.

Are you going to drive it any great distance so you can save on gas ?

No long drives planned with this one and I don't put enough miles on my Jeeps to worry about fuel economy. However, I am a huge fan of diesels, having owned at least one for most of my life. My favorite engine is the Mercedes turbo charged OM617, had one in our 300SD. They were simple, mechanical injection (no computer), will run on almost anything and last forever. The Japanese also make some great small diesels and these types of motors are the preferred engine throughout most of the world. I do not like the monster HP/torque of what Detroit has done with Dodge, GM and Ford diesel V8's. I am not towing heavy equipment with mine nor do I go to tractor pulls. We had a 91 Dodge with a 12 valve Cummins to pull my daughter's horse trailer, it had all the power you could ever want and one of the best motors I have ever seen.

Another factor for me me is how often I drive some of my Jeeps. With gas engines I have had the gasoline go more than once just because it got old so I have to remember to put the storage additive in all of them. A diesel can sit for five years, charge the batteries, and it will fire right up (done this more than once).

Is it just for the uniqueness of it ?

Yes, to a degree. All of my Jeeps are "personalized"/modified vehicles, not restorations. They are not your everyday version of the same vehicle. Ever since I saw an article on a Jeepster converted to a 4x4 in a 4WD magazine back in the 70's I have wanted one (saved the magazine for that article). I am approaching retirement and have been thinning my herd over the last couple of years but figure I had one more build left in me and wanted it to use the Nissan diesel. When this 50 Jeepster on a Commando frame popped up on Craigslist here I had to go look.

And all this makes perfect sense.. A few years ago, I was considering a turbo Hino diesel
transplant for my pickup...The truck had already been "butchered" by the PO and so I
wouldn't be cutting up anything original worth saving.. So, I can really relate to your use
of a diesel.. My only problem with modern diesels is I will be worn out and recycled before they will........

I've just started seriously contemplating putting a diesel motor in my CJ2A/3A salad. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.

Thanks for answering my questions, it makes perfect sense. I have also tried to make my wagon unique but, their all unique in this day and age.Here's a pic of a friend of mine I go wheeling with now and again. I know it's not as old as yours but, talk about unique, take a real good look. It's also a soft top

Finally another Nissan diesel in a Willys! I did my conversion a few years ago and love the reliability, simplicity and fuel milage, not to mention I can go 600 miles between fill-ups. After driving a diesel Willys, you may not be able to go back to a gas motor...

Couple questions: What transmission/transfer case are you planning on using? 727+SD33= SSSLLLLLOOOOWWWW.

If you do turbo the SD33, Id recomend keeping the boost fairly low (7-8psi) and changing out the headgasket with the turbo version.

Diesel power is something that grows on you.. And with a turbo, wow!
I would, if I had the time and $.

In the mean time, even though I'm not an off road 4WD guy . Anything serious for me
requires 2 wheels.. But, that purple Commando really
looks bitchen.. And you can't just buy one at the dealership can ya...I love the look
and how it can be operated.

Last edited:
Alright, love it when there is someone to compare notes with! Since you have plowed this ground I have a FEW questions on figment.:confused: If you are open to discussing you project send me a PM with your contact information and I will call you.

As for transmission, yes, I plan to use the HD TF727 but it should be decent power with the turbo, down pipe, straight through exhaust and a few other tricks I know about. One little known fact about the tug SD33, it is the Patrol turbo engine in a non turbo configuration so it has identical internals to the SD33T. These are not the same SD33 that came in the Scouts.

Stock axle ratio on both the tug and Patrol was 4.88 and 4.80 with 29" tires. I plan on running 39"-40" tires with a 4:1 transfer case so will probably go with 5.13 or even lower.

do you have a thread on your build?

Richard

Finally another Nissan diesel in a Willys! I did my conversion a few years ago and love the reliability, simplicity and fuel milage, not to mention I can go 600 miles between fill-ups. After driving a diesel Willys, you may not be able to go back to a gas motor...

Couple questions: What transmission/transfer case are you planning on using? 727+SD33= SSSLLLLLOOOOWWWW.

If you do turbo the SD33, Id recomend keeping the boost fairly low (7-8psi) and changing out the headgasket with the turbo version.

Thanks for being nice enough to answer my questions. Now I understand why you would put one in. I go 4 wheeling with a friend who has a Jeepster, not as old as yours but, what a machine!

:p Nice Commando! That is a C101 and I have always loved their design. My current trail rig is a 69 C101 Commando and used to look at lot like that purple one. I have modified it a bit to suit my tastes...

It is still street legal (sort of) and I enjoy driving on road as well as off. People recognize it is a Jeep but I get a kick out of people trying to figure out what model it is.

I like the idea of a 4x4 Jeepster and plan on building one some day. I also have a Scout II diesel. I think that the Jeepster should have been built in 4x4 version from the factory, it might have been a boon to sales and we would have more of them.

Met the owner of this Jeepster a few times at Willys meets. Interesting story, he made the steps over the rear fenders by melting down 2 drums of beer cans and pouring into a sand mold. He borrowed the originals from a friend to make his molds. They look perfect.

Back