Jun 30, 2014
Illinois
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
I have begun to work on my 1962 Willys Stationwagon. Decided to change some of the overdue fluids. I have drained the transfer case. Purchased 2 quarts of GL4 90 weight oil. I found what I think is the fill plug. Located on passenger side of case above exhaust pipe, near body frame. Is this correct? If so, how does a person fill it?
I took PTO/overdrive cover off and filled it that way. My manual says it takes 6.8 pints. I was only able to put in just under 4 pints, (2 quarts) which brought oil level to cover opening. Can anyone give me information about my concerns, I do not want to drive it until I finish what needs to be done?

Thanks,
Bob

You shouldn't have to remove the PTO/OD cover to fill; replace the cover, and you are correct in where the fill plug is; so remove plug, and use a hand pump to continue to fill TC until the gear oil begins to seep out of the plug hole; then replace the plug. I would then drive the unit arount the block, and recheck the fluid level. My '55 wagon manual states 6.0 pts, but just be sure some of the gear oil is seeping out of the plug hole; you should be good to go after that;
Norris

You shouldn't have to remove the PTO/OD cover to fill; replace the cover, and you are correct in where the fill plug is; so remove plug, and use a hand pump to continue to fill TC until the gear oil begins to seep out of the plug hole; then replace the plug. I would then drive the unit arount the block, and recheck the fluid level. My '55 wagon manual states 6.0 pts, but just be sure some of the gear oil is seeping out of the plug hole; you should be good to go after that;
Norris

Thanks willys55, I actually put on an overdrive so, it was already open. I opened the filler plug both before and after the ten minute run in time recommended by the manufacturer, the oil began dripping from the filler plug hole. Only thing I can think of is that there is a lot of "gunk" at bottom of pan, because I have only put in 2 quarts.

If you have a manual trans..........And
If you want that overdrive to live....................
Next go to the trans filler port on the left and top it off...
After you drive a few miles, recheck and top off the trans again.

Why?

#1 The trans filler port is higher than the transfer case filler.
#2 The trans and transfer case share oil.
#3 Topping off at the trans filler port will raise the oil level in the TC
#4 The overdrive loves lots of oil.....

Just a tip from a guy who learned the hard way....

Blindmelon

Last edited:
If you have a manual trans..........And
If you want that overdrive to live....................
Next go to the trans filler port on the left and top it off...
After you drive a few miles, recheck and top off the trans again.

Why?

#1 The trans filler port is higher than the transfer case filler.
#2 The trans and transfer case share oil.
#3 Topping off at the trans filler port will raise the oil level in the TC
#4 The overdrive loves lots of oil.....

Just a tip from a guy who learned the hard way....

Blindmelon

Hey Blindmelon,
Sorry for your loss... but, that did the trick.
Thanks,
Bob

Back