Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
darkskywillys.jpg

Click here to read all about the arrival of my wagon and a bunch of pictures of what the wagon looked like when it arrived on my doorstep...

I did some searching around a bit for another axle over the last couple of weeks and the best I came up with is a complete running drivetrain and frame from a '62 wagon for $750 that is a couple of hours away. The seller wants to sell it to someone with a 2wd that is looking for 4wd running gear, and doesn't want to part it out. I didn't really want the engine, and it likely has most of the same issues as the stuff I already have, so I decided to just work with what I've got for now.

I'm not sure yet if I want to keep my wagon stock or not, I have only driven it around the block once. Until I get a feel for what I've got, I don't really want to dump a bunch of cash to rebuild the stock stuff yet. With that in mind, and the fact that I don't have any cash anyway, I got after my rear axle this weekend and got it cleaned up and ready to use.

Here's what I started with, bad welds on scavenged axle spring perches. This wagon was apparently converted to SOA at some point, and then changed back again. Both front and rear axles have spring perches welded on the top side of the axle.

rearaxle01.jpg

The spring perches that were put back on the bottom of the axle to change it back to SUA were cut off something else and booger welded to this axle, and were put on almost 2" off center :roll:

I cut all four of the perches off of the axle and cleaned up the tubes so I could weld new perches on in the right place.

rearaxle19.jpg

rearaxle16.jpg

I also welded up the hole that was burned through the tube by the hill-billy welder that put the old perches on.

I bought new perches from Ryan, The Jeep Guy, check out his stuff from the link on the portal page.

rearaxle18.jpg

Got the axle in place under the wagon, adjusted the pinion angle, and tacked the perches in place. Pulled it out again, welded the perches on, and sprayed some paint on them. I'm going to paint the whole thing, ran out of paint that I had on hand.

rearaxle20.jpg

rearaxle22.jpg

The next issue is the rear brakes, they are missing all of the e-brake hardware, the shoes are just about gone, and the wheel cylinders are, I think, from the front. The cylinders don't have flare fitting holes in them, and they had rubber lines that ran to a hard line to the "T" fitting that went to another rubber line to the frame. The cylinders don't have the right bolts holding them to the backing plates, stacks of washers because they are too long, etc. And, outer axle seals are bad too.

rearbrakes01.jpg

rearbrakes02.jpg

I think I'm going to just shit-can these brakes and buy the 11" brake kit from The Jeep Guy.

BRAKE%20KIT%20DRUM.JPG

These are Bendix self adjusting brakes and come complete with new drums and backing plates, and all the shoes/ebrake hardware. It's a bolt on deal, so if I decide to swap the axle for another in better shape at some point, I can keep the brakes and move them over to another Dana44.

That's it for now... more to come.

Pete

Last edited:
Re: Rear differential update

Bugger welds hardly covers the crap on the old spring mounts. Looking much better now, keep us posted.

73fj said:
I think swapping out the brakes is an excellent idea.

Ordered the 11" Bendix brakes from The Jeep Guy yesterday, should be here in a couple of days. :cheers:

Pete

Pete:
The Bendix rear brakes you ordered come with new drums, you say, but am I correct in assuming (always very dangerous) that you will have to attach the new drums to your old hubs? That can be a bit tricky - I have experience with removing drums from front Dana 25 hubs....
Does the new brake set include new lug studs? When I used Dorman lug studs on the front brakes, I discovered something interesting - the spline count on the new studs was one (1) different from the originals. I carefully ground off the old stud heads inside the drums and then tapped them out (toward the outside). That way there was no damage/stretching of the hub material where the old studs had been swagged into place at the factory. I asked advice at a local 'brake shop' and the boss said the different spline count was not important (he used crustier language being impatient with me for asking such a stupid question).
Anyway, hope the new rear brakes work well.

About your comment as to whether or not to "keep your wagon stock...", permit me to recommend that you get it fully driveable for a while and then make that decision. In our case, I drove our '65 wagon to work daily for 3 months after which it was obvious to me that I wanted more modern steering and brakes, plus 3 point seat belts etc. Our daughter simply didn't have the arm strength to park stock steering 'Bluebell' on pavement - Saginaw power steering conversion solved that. I was never able to get the drum brakes to work properly, nor was that local brake shop able to bring them up to a minimum standard - Chevy front discs have made a big difference but I am still not at all satisfied with brake performance. I suspect that power brakes will be needed.

While I really like the Tornado OHC engine, the T90 3spd is at a disadvantage in city driving - I want to update to a T19 (Ford) all synchro 4spd one day. I really do not understand why these vehicles didn't all come with T98 4 spds since they were available on special order... how much extra would the sticker price have been in those days?

Cheers

pavel6 said:
Pete:
The Bendix rear brakes you ordered come with new drums, you say, but am I correct in assuming (always very dangerous) that you will have to attach the new drums to your old hubs?

I hadn't thought about the hubs... I don't know if they come with new hubs too or not. I just sent an email to Ryan to find out.

pavel6 said:
About your comment as to whether or not to "keep your wagon stock...", permit me to recommend that you get it fully driveable for a while and then make that decision.

This is my plan for now. I did this with my '50 Plymouth, and loved it stock. The old Lockheed brakes worked very well on the Plymouth, once they were set up correctly with an Amco Brake Gauge. I loved the character the flathead six had, and I had a ball getting the most I could out of it. I drove the car daily and all over the western states without issue. I also have a '53 Chevy pickup that I've had for 30 years. I drove it stock for about 12 years, and then dropped in a 350 with automatic, mustang II front end, etc. It drives like a race car and is a blast, but it really isn't a truck anymore... I want to see what the Wagon is like as is before I change it's character much. I don't expect it to drive like a modern rig, and I like driving old stuff too, so I will likely keep it stock unless it becomes tripping over dollars to save dimes.

Pete

Pete said:
pavel6 said:
Pete:
The Bendix rear brakes you ordered come with new drums, you say, but am I correct in assuming (always very dangerous) that you will have to attach the new drums to your old hubs?

I hadn't thought about the hubs... I don't know if they come with new hubs too or not. I just sent an email to Ryan to find out.

Your right Pavel, I will have to re-use my original hubs. Ryan said the new drums slide on from the outside, and aren't pressed on like the originals. I should have everything by Thursday, so I'll take some pics and post them.

Pete

Weekend update

Got some more done on my rear axle this weekend...

I made an impromptu axle puller out of a 2x6 and one of the old drums as a spacer.

rearaxle23.jpg

Took a sledge hammer to get the axles out. No surprise that they were nice and filthy.

rearaxle24.jpg

The bearings don't look visibly bad, but I'm sure they could be replaced. Doesn't seem like they have ever been out.

And with the hole burned through the axle tube by the previous owner, no surprise to find the tube full of sand... :roll:

rearaxle32.jpg

There is so much wear in the gears and axle splines from the gritty lube that was in there, the whole thing is pretty much shot. Since I won't have the cash to replace it for probably a year or two, I decided to just clean it up as much as possible, and put it back together. I repacked the bearings, installed new seals, and mounted the new 11" Bendix brakes.

rearbrakes04.jpg

rearbrakes05.jpg

Even the hubs need to be replaced, one of them has been hacked on with a torch, presumably to cut off rusty lug nuts. The other was put on with the key too far back, and it stretched the keyway out of round at the seal surface by about 1/8"... I used a file and got it round again, I think it will be ok until I can find another axle. The brakes are a bolt on deal, and will be swapped on to the new axle whenever that happens...

I fab'd a new brake line for the axle last night, now to get it back into the wagon, and get the brakes bled.

More to come-

Pete

Re: Pete's '60 Wagon

Nice work Pete !!!! safe and dependable....but your shop is way to clean :lol:

Good looking job on the perches and good info on the brakes. I'm eager to hear how they work for you.

62 OlllO said:
Nice work Pete !!!! safe and dependable....but your shop is way to clean :lol:

Funny Kevin, I'm not so sure about the safe or dependable... and my garage is a tornado of clutter. Strategic photography makes it look clean. :lol:

Pete

retmotor said:
Good looking job on the perches and good info on the brakes. I'm eager to hear how they work for you.

Hoping to get the axle back in the wagon in the next few days and get the brakes bled. Maybe drive it around the block again this weekend if all goes well. If so, I can evaluate the next immediate fix-it list.

I think the first thing will be to get the temperature gauge working. The P.O. replaced the instrument cluster and the new temp gauge has an electric sender. There is a cap-tube type sender still in the block. I'm going to have to find an adapter fitting to fit the 5/8" sender to the 3/4" hole in the block.

:cheers:

Pete

Funny; before I scrolled down, I thought he was practicing his golf swing :mrgreen:

My helper is out of the house, 900 miles away, raising his own helper now...

Pete said:
One of my helpers...

rearaxle26.jpg

retmotor said:
Funny; before I scrolled down, I thought he was practicing his golf swing :mrgreen:

My helper is out of the house, 900 miles away, raising his own helper now...

He's a golfer too, maybe he was thinking about being on the course while he was removing the axle seal... :)

They grow up way too fast, this seems like it was yesterday, he was 2... now he's 12.

josephandmotor.jpg

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Weekend Update

Spent some more time on the wagon over the weekend. I put the rear axle back in and got everything connected.

rearaxle36.jpg

Spend a couple of hours getting the new brake drums to seat correctly on the old hubs. The old hubs have seen better days, the face of one of them has been hit with a cutting torch and the other was crusty and had hit lots of rocks and whatnot over the years. The new 11" drums fit over the top instead of behind, so I had to clean up the hubs to get the drums to fit flat against the face of the hubs. I painted the hubs, and then put the drums over the top. I worked the drums a bit, rocking them on the high spots, which removed the paint so I could see what wasn't fitting. I used a grinder and file to get all the bad spots off.

The axle is now centered on the wagon! No more tire rubbing on one side... Felt good to get it rolling again.

rearaxle41.jpg

rearaxle38.jpg

rearaxle39.jpg

Once I had the axle back in and finished up, my son and I bled the rear brakes. Getting to the master cylinder is a total pain in the arse. Can't reach it from the top, and can't see if it is full from the bottom. I pulled off the floor panels around the pedals, and was able to fill the reservoir with a funnel between the pedals. Found several layers of cobbed floor fix all glued together with bedliner... The floor panels that go around the pedals were screwed down over a piece of sheetmetal the same gauge as a beer can, it was getting caught in the pedal draft seals and crunching like stepping on a crushed can every time the clutcb pedal was pushed in. Next project...

rearbrakes07.jpg

We got decent pedal, but the fronts need to be bled too. Moved around the front, and found that driver's side bleeder screw is stripped, and the rubber hose from the frame to the wheel cylinder is leaking where it screws into the wheel cylinder. If I can get the bleeder screw out with some vice grips, I have a spare from the old rear wheel cylinders that I can replace it with until I can tackle replacing the front brakes. I'm going to need to get new rubber lines, they don't look safe...

I was hoping to take it for a drive around the block again, but didn't have any lube to fill the rear end. Everything is closed around here on a Sunday, so I'll get it filled up tonight and ready for a test drive.

More to come... :cheers:

Pete

I have always been impressed with the master cylinder location issue also. No fair upgrading the brakes to something that will work. That is part of the excitement of driving one, the "will it stop this time" feeling. Mine sometimes decides one front brake needs about twice the force of the other making it hard to steer into the stop and not end up in the weeds. Part of why I don't drive it in the winter.

Pete, I'll bet by now your Willys feels like she is really your Wagon and the price is secondary...having the opportunity to have a project your son enjoys and he can "grip" some tools is super fun....besides look at the clean look your Willys has....good paint and beautiful chrome! I look forward in seeing it and crawling all over it...
stay safe!

62 OlllO said:
Pete, I'll bet by now your Willys feels like she is really your Wagon and the price is secondary...having the opportunity to have a project your son enjoys and he can "grip" some tools is super fun....besides look at the clean look your Willys has....good paint and beautiful chrome! I look forward in seeing it and crawling all over it...
stay safe!

Truth is, I'm still grumbling about the wagon and all the BS I inherited with it... It's mine though, and I'll get it right. Just going to take more time and money than I wanted it to.

Pete

Back