1950 Pickup with 258, T5 and Dana 300

melon

Last edited by a moderator:
Next month I will be changing the Spiral Bevel rear end out for a Dana 53 with 4.88 gears.. I like the idea of upgrading my Willys with Jeep components...They look like they belong......

Swapping one axle with hard to find parts (Timken) to another axle with hard to find parts (Spicer 53, and a weaker axle in my opinion) seems a waste of time, energy, and money. Dana 44s are easier to find parts, and Jeep did use them in the J-series trucks....

Yup, The 53 in my opinion would be a mistake. Dana 44, or larger would be the way to go. Maybe a Dana 60, if you plan to haul stuff.

We were not nit picking, just trying to inform you about making a good choice. Nit picking is for other forums, not this one. I had a 62 wagon that I had installed a 2001 4.0 h.o. out of another Jeep. I also installed a aw4, 4 speed auto, Dana 300 t.c., Dana 30 in front and the stock Dana 44 in the rear. Also power steering and power disc brakes. All the parts were from a Cherokee. I loved that wagon, the power was just right for the vehicle. It also ran like a new vehicle.The only bad choice I made was the spring over, it never really handled that well after that. I have never really heard anything bad about your tranny choice so, why remark on it. I have another wagon now and I also run a Dana 300 transfer case with a twin stick. I will be installing a 4 to 1 gearset in it in the near future. I think it is one of the best out there, barring an Atlas.

Thanks for sharing Larry. Build it like you want it...I don't think anyone was trying to kick dirt on your truck....I don't know enough to have an opinion, but I like what you showed us so far.

Bruce

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

WillysRS_zps2a7f0b8a.jpgWillys62414004_zps9704f65d.jpgWillys62414002_zpsac1ae878.jpgThanks Bruce. Of course I let only my imagination and finances dictate my energies. I finished changing out the rear
axle a week ago...The new gearing (was 5.38, now 4.88) is quite good. Part of the reasoning behind using the Dana
53.... It fit. It was cheap. It has the desired gears. I was able to reuse my brake drums. It looks OEM.

The only wrinkle was I had to use the spring shackles and plates from the 53.. Not a problem because the 53 came
with springs and shackles.. The shackles and plates are different because the axle tubes are of different diameters.
The actual axle shafts look nearly identical.

Next up, I'll be refurbishing a 1962, Dana 25. Then, change out the existing 25...Old one has 5.38's and a slight
bend on the right side ( 1 1/2 degree negative camber).. The newer one has 4.88 gears and is straight. I plan on
reusing the brake drums.. I replaced them 15K miles ago and they should be good..

Oh, and in case I didn't make myself clear before.. The 258 engine, T5 trans and Dana 300 have made driving
this old truck a COMFORTABLE experience.. Enough power for me, smooth shifting and quiet..Even the vacuum
wipers work better with the 258 (and the wiper motor is original).

Last edited:
Glad to hear you like the 4:88's. I am going to be swapping my 5:38's for a pair this fall. I am running a 239 Y-block in a '51 Parkway conversion.

Bruce

Bruce,

Have you or can you post photos of the engine compartment? I'm always interested in seeing
how others approach a repower.. And what drive train mods they might employ. Oh, a pal of mine
once told me he was moving to South America...I asked him what part. He told me "South Texas".
Ha......

I have not posted any photos of the engine bay yet. Kind of ashamed at the way it looks at this point. It seems to be a fairly nice transplant, if you don't notice the new firewall thats applied with sheet metal screws and the electric fuel pump hanging by its wires. Will post after I get the fuel pump replaced with NOS and hit the engine bay with some oven cleaner.

Bruce

Ok, this post is to fill in some blanks I left by removing some of my original posts. I bought an ex-snow plow/pickup truck
in 2008... It had been converted to a Rambler 6 cylinder engine when I purchased it. It was missing the gas tank and
some of the 'plow parts.. It had been sitting in the PO's driveway in Orange County, Ca for 8 years, waiting for a rebuild.
He purchased it from someone in Colorado... The bed was rusted thru on the sides and pockets. The roof had two large
butt dents. The firewall and fenders were cracked all over the place.. Apparently, snow plow duty is rough on sheet metal.

I got it running right away and drove it around my property (rural/ranch type in the hills north of L.A.) It smoked a lot on
a pull....The truck turned out to be a 1950 1/2 model with 4 wheel drive.

I purchased a plastic replacement gas tank and started driving it.. I had the Rambler radiator recored with a 3 row
core.. I restored the 1946 Harrison accessory GM heater (new core and rodent removed). The truck already had
a Delco, single wire alternator.. The heater motor didn't mind the 12 volts... I used resisters to get the fuel, oil and
temp gauges working... I thru away the aftermarket gauges that the PO had installed.

I thru away the 1960's Olds Cutlass seat that came with the truck.. I purchased a used 1964 Nova seat and had it
rebuilt/recovered in grey vinyl with black piping.. I glued indoor/outdoor carpet to the roof for sound deadening. I
rebuild the T90, Dana 18 and added a Saturn overdrive.

When I first got it running it had a 1 barrel Carter carb. The accelerator pump didn't work but I could drive it OKI
after it warmed up. The truck got 28 MPG! After a week or so I rebuilt the carb.. It ran much better but my
mileage dropped to 23 mpg... Then I converted the intake to a 2 barrel Carter.. My mileage dropped again to
18 mpg.. And my power almost doubled.. A year later I converted to a Weber 2 barrel... Power went up a bit and
the mpg remained at 18... The mpg I am quoting is for either highway or in town... It made no difference.

I drove the truck for over 5 years with the overdrive and Dana 18.. I made numerous upgrades and changes
to the transfer case.. It got quieter and quieter but never silent.. I took this truck on 1,000 mile trips... I cruised
at 60 to 65 and got a lot of thumbs up from passing motorists.

Oh, I am 67 years old, retired shop manager for a major utility and worked as a mechanic for over 40 years on
cars, trucks and construction equipment..

This January I was bed ridden due to and injury... My wife hooked our wifi and gave me a laptop to play with.. I
started shopping immediately and found............a 1983 Jeep engine, T5 5-speed and Dana 300 TC for $1200. I
then found Dana 53 and a Dana 25 axles with 4.88 gears that came out of a low mileage 1962 pickup for $300.
I called a buddy and he did the transport and purchase for me..

At the end of February, I was able to hobble around on crutches and went outside to inspect my, new to me, junk.
The engine was about 50% worn. The transfer case and Trans looked like good usable components.. The axles (
complete, drum to drum and even had springs attached) were cherry...

To date, I have refurbished the engine. Installed engine, trans and transfer case. Refurbished the Dana 53 (new
seals, brake shoes and wheel cylinders) and installed it. I am currently refurbishing the Dana 25..

I drove the truck last night, out to dinner with friends. A 30 mile round trip in all.. The truck cruises @ 65 like
a new truck. The driveline is silent.. That's my story....I'll be making a few comments and/or replies if I
have anything positive or meaningful to say... I really enjoy reading about others experiences with these neat old
trucks/wagons..

Back