1000 Miles of Dirt roads in a Willys

Two last pics, and a short video version of the trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-1TyhqMFI&feature=youtu.be
[video=youtube;kT-1TyhqMFI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-1TyhqMFI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Wonderful trip, especially in an old Willys! Thanks for posting it. I love exploring out there in Nevada.

I see you went to Ophir. Excellent! That's certainly off the beaten path!

I followed the Applegate Trail from Winnemucca, across the Black Rock Playa and through High Rock Canyon over the New Year's weekend this year. That pool of water at the base of the cliff you drove through was solid ice. Over the last couple of years, my wife and I have been hiking and 4-wheeling sections of the old wagon trails. It's breathtaking where those pioneers went in wagons.

Last edited:
Thanks Carter-I had thought that the road through Blackrock was closed during winter months so that the sheep could mate in peace (seriously)? Imho this section of the Applegate/Lassen trail is is one of the best remaining historic "wagon road" landscapes out there, no power lines or other unwanted signs of progress for hours at a time-except during Burning Man.

Did you take the wagon in your avatar across the Blackrock?

No my wagon wasn't running than (and is still being resurrected). I was a poser in a Forester.

There was really only one place going through High Rock Canyon where I thought I should have been in "a real 4wd" and was glad I didn't have to go back up it. But I travel with two spares, a tire repair kit, a come-along, tow strap, rope, shovel, etc. in my Forester, so its good for most things -- just not extremely rough, steep bouldering, etc. The cold weather helped. Streams are easier to cross when they're frozen.

There were no closures that I was aware of at that particular time, but I may have missed something. I certainly wouldn't knowingly disturb any mountain sheep nuptials.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

By the way, here's my wife on one of our hikes last summer along the Carson Trail, headed up from Caples Lake to +9,000-foot West Pass.

Looking up the westbound wagon trail:

attachment.php

Looking down the eastbound wagon trail:
attachment.php

This wagon road was first used by Mormons going eastbound in July 1848 and then was heavily used by an estimated 50,000 westbound immigrants to California starting that fall. The Nevada silver mining boom in the 1860s prompted business interests, who wanted the trade traffic, to construct a shorter, easier way (the current route of Hwy 88 via Kirkwood and Silver Lake) that avoided West Pass.large.jpg158719707.jpg158719722.jpg158733392.jpg157035863.jpg157035928.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty impressive that you made it through Blackrock with a Suburu.

Meanwhile, still trying to get ahead at work so I can take a week or two off. It doesn't seem to be working so well.

Good story
I've lost my lunch due to faulty tail gate latches on my CJ no fun at all. I have to wonder why out in the middle of nowhere where it was likely that the tools were still laying were they landed, why you didn't turn back and look for them? My trip ending gate failure was in the snow on the Naches trail at around 11 pm . I had to turn back as I had barely started in. I had only gone a few miles. My tracks showed that I was the last one in that night. The funny part was all I found was one tennis shoe because it had a reflective stripe on it. It shown like a beacon! The animals must have jumped all over the food. It wouldn't have been more than 1 hour. No food, one shoe. I accepted my defeat. Drove out to the highway and went home. As a side note the Naches Trail is incredibly beautiful day or night snow or sunny.

I always check the "What's New - Latest Activity" tab when I get on OWF. And I saw a bunch of activity where this thread was being "Liked" a couple days ago. So I had to come in here and look at it, of course. What an Epic adventure here! This was 5 years ago or so. And it was done in essentially MY TRUCK! Well, a Potomac Gray '48 pickup, anyway - it's been a real long time since my truck looked this good! haha

Which made me wonder about all the great stories buried inside OWF. I need to go mining for more older posts like this.

I always check the "What's New - Latest Activity" tab when I get on OWF. And I saw a bunch of activity where this thread was being "Liked" a couple days ago. So I had to come in here and look at it, of course. What an Epic adventure here! This was 5 years ago or so. And it was done in essentially MY TRUCK! Well, a Potomac Gray '48 pickup, anyway - it's been a real long time since my truck looked this good! haha

Which made me wonder about all the great stories buried inside OWF. I need to go mining for more older posts like this.

Couldn't agree more! Need to read this post from the beginning tonite!!!

Carter, you realize you're painting yourself into a Willys Epic trip corner what with all the pics and adventures you take and know of. And I know how to get to Ophir so we'll just have to forcibly remove El Minero 67 from work and drag him kicking and screaming down to the Delores River Brewery to subdue him with a few pints ;)
Hmm, start in the Sierra, over towards Blackrock, down to the San Juans, then up to Moab...

Couldn't agree more! Need to read this post from the beginning tonite!!!

Carter, you realize you're painting yourself into a Willys Epic trip corner what with all the pics and adventures you take and know of. And I know how to get to Ophir so we'll just have to forcibly remove El Minero 67 from work and drag him kicking and screaming down to the Delores River Brewery to subdue him with a few pints ;)
Hmm, start in the Sierra, over towards Blackrock, down to the San Juans, then up to Moab...
Over the years I’ve stumbled into nearly every spot El Minero visited on his epic trip — from Ophir to Berlin and that old ranch house — and I hope to go again soon, this time in the Willys. My wife and I spent a week celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary out there in Central Nevada in 2011, visiting old ghost towns and such, then there was the January trip through High Rock Canyon in 2015, and we were out there again for a quick trip over July 4 in 2019. The wildflowers were incredible in both 2011 and 2019. We love it out there.
This trip and report by @elminero67 set the standard for OWF and is still the one to top. It’s a great one.
135723273.jpg

Last edited:
I've been tossing around something like this for a while, at least since I heard about Epic Willys. We get a kick out of shows like Grand Tour and the Long Way (Down/Up/Around) so the possibility of sponsors and sag support has crossed my mind.

LOL you mention bumpy You have no idea when we went up over the Steens Mountain Loop road we caught up with two vans full of Oregon State Coeds. The only guys in the two 15 passenger vans were the drivers. As they tried to race away from us I went out into the scrub so we could drive beside the Vans trying to impress the college girls (they were maybe 2-3 years older so no big stretch LOL. It wan't to bad the rocks we were bouncing over where only the size of Soccer balls ! In the end the van drivers one cause we weren't going to Miss a couple of the over looks which is what we drove up there for in the first place. I have always wondered what all those pretty girls were doing up there right before college started for Fall term.

Where's elminero67 now ? The guy that started this thread? Did he do his next big willys trip? BCD.
Sadly, he had a serious front axle issue on his next trip and ended up selling his truck far from home. He later bought a wagon but hasn’t posted much since introducing it.

Back