Carter
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elminero67 View Post
    Two last pics, and a short video version of the trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-1...ature=youtu.be
    Wonderful trip, especially in an old Willys! Thanks for posting it. I love exploring out there in Nevada.

I see you went to Ophir. Excellent! That's certainly off the beaten path!

I followed the Applegate Trail from Winnemucca, across the Black Rock Playa and through High Rock Canyon over the New Year's weekend this year. That pool of water at the base of the cliff you drove through was solid ice. Over the last couple of years, my wife and I have been hiking and 4-wheeling sections of the old wagon trails. It's breathtaking where those pioneers went in wagons.
    Last edited by Lookout Ranch; 06-12-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Carter-I had thought that the road through Blackrock was closed during winter months so that the sheep could mate in peace (seriously)? Imho this section of the Applegate/Lassen trail is is one of the best remaining historic "wagon road" landscapes out there, no power lines or other unwanted signs of progress for hours at a time-except during Burning Man.

Did you take the wagon in your avatar across the Blackrock?

First Name
    Carter
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    No my wagon wasn't running than (and is still being resurrected). I was a poser in a Forester.

There was really only one place going through High Rock Canyon where I thought I should have been in "a real 4wd" and was glad I didn't have to go back up it. But I travel with two spares, a tire repair kit, a come-along, tow strap, rope, shovel, etc. in my Forester, so its good for most things -- just not extremely rough, steep bouldering, etc. The cold weather helped. Streams are easier to cross when they're frozen.

There were no closures that I was aware of at that particular time, but I may have missed something. I certainly wouldn't knowingly disturb any mountain sheep nuptials.

By the way, here's my wife on one of our hikes last summer along the Carson Trail, headed up from Caples Lake to +9,000-foot West Pass.

Looking up the westbound wagon trail:

Looking down the eastbound wagon trail:

This wagon road was first used by Mormons going eastbound in July 1848 and then was heavily used by an estimated 50,000 westbound immigrants to California starting that fall. The Nevada silver mining boom in the 1860s prompted business interests, who wanted the trade traffic, to construct a shorter, easier way (the current route of Hwy 88 via Kirkwood and Silver Lake) that avoided West Pass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lookout Ranch; 07-21-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty impressive that you made it through Blackrock with a Suburu.

Meanwhile, still trying to get ahead at work so I can take a week or two off. It doesn't seem to be working so well.

First Name
    Dan
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good story
    I've lost my lunch due to faulty tail gate latches on my CJ no fun at all. I have to wonder why out in the middle of nowhere where it was likely that the tools were still laying were they landed, why you didn't turn back and look for them? My trip ending gate failure was in the snow on the Naches trail at around 11 pm . I had to turn back as I had barely started in. I had only gone a few miles. My tracks showed that I was the last one in that night. The funny part was all I found was one tennis shoe because it had a reflective stripe on it. It shown like a beacon! The animals must have jumped all over the food. It wouldn't have been more than 1 hour. No food, one shoe. I accepted my defeat. Drove out to the highway and went home. As a side note the Naches Trail is incredibly beautiful day or night snow or sunny.

Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Sathish
    Year
    other
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like