1000 Miles of Dirt roads in a Willys

elminero67

Precision Fit
Jun 1, 2011
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Exactly what it sounds like-I'm hoping to do 1000 miles of dirt roads in a 1948 Willys. My wife has expressed her opinion of this road trip. She is so skeptical that I am not allowed to take the family pooch. :(

I’ve been daydreaming of doing a roadtrip to Nevada for some time. Last week I was encouraged to take some time off work (long story, not a bad thing), and decided to drive the Willys to visit some ghost towns and historic sites in Nevada. I basically want to chill out away from crowds, TV computer or cell phones.

I should give a little background on the project truck for those who haven’t followed my build thread: My original intention was to get the 1948 truck running well enough to get firewood and cruise backroads around southwestern Oregon. I never thought this truck would be something I would do a road trip in-but this truck has surpassed my expectations, so this trip is somewhat of a make-or-break to see if this is just a firewood truck-or something ill continue fixing up. I first replaced the F134 and three-speed with a Nissan SD22 diesel and five-speed transmission. After a couple of years I replaced the Nissan SD22 with an overseas version (SD23) that puts out a bit more power. It is only rated at 73 horsepower, but it cruises 55-60 nicely. Other than that, it is largely stock, down to the 1948 Potomac Grey paint, the sloppy Ross steering box, the funky Timken axle and stack of ten leaf springs that give the old truck the riding characteristics of backhoe on a cobblestone street.

I should also mention that the truck is not ready for an extended road. I’ve done a few daytrips, but as of today, none of the gauges are hooked up (except aftermarket temp gauge). The radiator leaks. There are no windshield wipers, no speedo, no heater or radio-pretty much have the starter, radiator fan and headlights hooked up. The list of things I wanted to finish before doing a road trip is long: I hoped to finish the electrical stuff, pgrade the brakes, throw in the Dana 44 rear axle and change the gear ratio to a 4.10 or 4.56 instead of the factory 5.38s. Also hoped to put in seat belts, roll bar and build a modest expedition-style camper to sleep and store stuff in. Instead I’ll be roughing it a little, and just bring a sleeping bag and crash out under the stars.

The way I look at it, I could spend a week fixing those things (along with the honey-do’s the wife would assign if I hung out around the house), or I could do a road trip. Worse case scenario, I spend a week fixing those things along some godforsaken road in the middle of the Nevada desert(that’s what full coverage insurance with free roadside assistance is for).

48 hours and counting, Will post an itinerary before I head out…IMG_2034 (640x480).jpg

May not need that heater or windshield wipers:

Sat 76° Sat Night 47° Sun 79° Mostly Sunny Mon 81° Mostly Sunny Tue 79° Mostly Sunny Wed 75°Mostly Sunny

Night temps in the 40s. More importantly, no chance of rain and the wind will be manageable...

@homewood4 - I appreciate the offer. If I end up that far west may take you up...

Hi @elminero67...

Your 1000 Mile Willys Pickup Trip sounds like a huge adventure about to embark! Be sure to bring the right Provisions with you, food, water, tarp, good sleeping bag, Knife, First Aid Kit, duct tape, baling wire, spare parts, all required 'liquids" for Truck, etc. Document your trip both in Pictures and in Narrative.

Good Luck! Safe Travels!

Pivnic

@elminero67,

I envy and love your idea. My father and I have been talking about doing a similar trip in the next couple of years. We plan to travel from the Rockies through Moab, northern Nevada to the Pacific coast all on dirt and in my Willys with expedition trailer and his early fullsize Jimmy.

My .02 Plan your trip accordingly to the southern Nevada weather, we can easily hit 115*-120* with no water or town for 100 miles in any direction. Thanks to a very mild spring I am still driving my Willys daily around Las Vegas. I don't have any problems cooling the Willys on those hot days, it's me that overheats (I don't have a/c yet). It feels like I'm in a giant microwave.

Keep us posted. If your looking for some company along the trail I would be happy to join you on the southern Nevada portion of your epic journey.

Steve

Yes, let us know where you are headed. I'm in Reno Nv., not far from Tahoe. If I were you, I would be looking to do the famous Rubicon trail. People from all over the world come here just to do that trail.

the riding characteristics of backhoe on a cobblestone street...none of the gauges are hooked up (except aftermarket temp gauge). The radiator leaks. There are no windshield wipers, no speedo, no heater or radio-pretty much have the starter, radiator fan and headlights hooked up.
None of this sounds like a problem to me! :D
Actually, that's not true. I'm scared to take mine down the road to get gas :( Course, I'm still learning how to drive a stick, so, that doesn't help.
Will you have any way to post pictures, it sounds like you're going to have so much fun!! Or die. Either way, look forward to hearing about it! ;)

Sounds really fun. I would join you in Nevada but it would take 48 hours of straight work just to get Mr Willy ready for the trip... Have fun and take lots of pictures and video...

I got a feeling you better not rely on that 24 hr.road service to be there when you need it.Better carry plenty of parts and tools.Cellphone service just ain't that reliable in remote areas of the country.Have driven all over the US and never got off the paved road still got into places with no service.Good luck yer gonna need it.

Some people are dreamers, and some people are doers...@elminero67 is a doer, and dekeeb is a dreamer. I'm working on fixing that. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime, to me.

This sounds like a great trip.

I am sure you'll have some very cool pictures to share once you get back.

Thinking the bike would be great insurance against break downs and long walks in the desert.

Best of luck.

In a nutshell, I will be tracking the Lassen or Applegate Trail backwards from Medford, Oregon to Winnemucca, Nevada, then follow back roads to Austin, Nevada. Should be about 500 miles, mostly on dirt roads. I tried to duplicate it on Google Earth, but Google Earth wouldn't let me choose the route I will actually be taking as it didn't recognize the dirt roads. If you look at the Google Earth image, it shows the route going through Reno. It will actually be across the Black Rock Desert.

To back up a bit, I had originally planned this as a motorcycle trip following what is known as the Transamerica Trail, or "TAT." For those who don't know what the TAT is, it is a trail that crosses the USA by utilizing the roughest, most obscure and remote roads possible. Not only is the TAT a brutal, 3000+ mile trail, but it has become somewhat of a badge of honor to do the trip in unusual vehicles:

or how NOT to do the TAT:

I couldn't find all of the Youtube videos, but I've seen postings of folks doing the TAT on old Bultacos, vintage Honda dreams, even one ol' boy thought it was a good idea to do it on a Harley with a sidecar (with help of a winch).

I had planned to do parts of the TAT on a 1970s Honda Scrambler (which has about the same suspension as the Willys truck). Before I had the chance to do the TAT on the Scrambler, I noticed that it missed most of the historic spots, such as ghost towns and historic wagon routes, so by the time I decided to do the trip, I basically came up with a parallel route with better scenery and historic sites. Then, a few months ago I messed up my arm, and cannot ride a motorcycle. So, long story short, I figured it would be a great idea to do the trip in my unfinished 1948 Willys firewood truck. Seemed like a good idea, but then that ol' boy with the Harley probably thought he had a good idea.

8 hours and counting...Jornado.jpg

Last edited:
Getting a late start this morning, but I'm heading out in a few minutes. I've been a little frazzled trying to get the truck ready and all of the logistics taken care of, but wanted to say thanks for the kind words, advice and support. A little encouragement goes a long way!

Duane "elminero"

Checking in from one of my favorite small cities in the lower 48, Cedarville ca. 250 miles and counting, the only casualties being a chrome headlight bezel, which I can deal with, but more serious is the fact that something is not working right with the radiator/ cooling system. It stays cool I dirt roads but on the highway sections it jumps up to 215 or so, causing the radiator to boil over.
So I need to make a choice. The next section goes through the heart of the Black Rock desert, over 150 miles with no water, stores or help if anything goes wrong. I can bypass this section, but then I have to go on the highway where I know it will overheat, but will have cell coverage. I'm leaning towards the Black Rock route- will be out of touch for a couple of days. Still trying to figure out how to post from a cell phone.

I'm jealous of that trip of yours @elminero67. Is any part of the Oregon Trail on your route? Or, does anybody know if any of The Oregon Trail can be 4 wheeled today? four wheelin' that is on my bucket list. My G Grandfather ran freight up the Oregon in the 1860's - 70's and probably later. He and the Missus stopped in Walla Walla Washington on one of their trips, put up in a hotel room, and had my grandmother in 1877. Two days later it was back on the wagon and back to work, with the extra hand. She lived to 88. WOW!!! diggerG

Back