Jeepney cross country trip

bizshop

Sharpest Tool
Dec 1, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Driving my 63 Willys Wagon based Jeepney roundtrip from Port Angeles, WA to Jacksonville Florida next week starting Easter Sunday.

Wish me luck! Just installed a Saturn overdrive from Herm (pops out of direct but works fine in overdrive, I'll just leave it there) which lowered the RPMs at 60mph from 3500 rpm to about 2400, should help some with the gas mileage (no idea how much I'm getting now).

10153657_10202827611804125_7571623440647701110_n.jpg

If anybody along the route wants a stop and greet, let me know!

1006093_10201607522421183_6722503341387412018_n.jpg

My wife/boss going along (she's the one in white sweater) but she doesn't drive. So it will be quite the adventure. Should be in Jacksonville by the end of April.

Cool! If you make it further south in Idaho, look me up...

Pete

looks like you are coming to the kansas city area. depending on when i might be able to catch up with you. iv never seen a jeepney in person.

Looks like you will be putting on a lot of miles each day! You will be driving by me the middle of the first day. What's inside the back of that thing? Good luck.

Wow! I've never even heard of 'Jeepneys' before, just did a little research on them. Awesome!

I'm located in Shoreline (just north of Seattle), I'd love a chance to check out your rig if you're anywhere near the area. If you're taking the Kingston/Edmonds ferry, I'm located just a bit south of the Edmonds terminal. Good luck with your trip!

Keep us updated on your location if possible. I'd like to see your ride. Brings back lots of good memories riding from Clark AFB to Angeles City in the back of a jeepney. If you travel down Hwy395 in Bishop, Ca, there is a jeepney parked in front of Schat's Bakery.

When will you be in Nashville? would love to see your jeepney first hand.

I was just thinking that there was not enough trip threads in the Willys forum! Enjoy the trip, keep us posted.

If you could give a location up-date, I sure would like to see your jeepney. I think you might be close to where I live. Hope the trip is going well.

10251939_10201685093760418_8554699857435323897_n.jpg

Made it to Florida, and engine was overheating pretty bad. (sbc 350 and 350 automatic transmission in it). Anything over 1800 rpms and the temps would climb up to 240, and when shutting down or stuck in traffic climb to 260 and occasionally higher. Tried flushing radiator, thermostat in and out, etc. I came to the conclusion that the radiator just wasn't big enough for the engine (bored out 0.040 and just rebuilt) So I had a larger radiator put in while in Jacksonville Florida.

That appears to have helped the freeway overheating, and I can now merrily sail along at 60-65 mph and temp stays below 200.

I had to gin up a new cowl and will post pics when I get some done.

Last edited:
It has definitely been an adventure! Thankfully however no really major repairs.
1557598_10201713224303664_7100232079055280708_n.jpg

So far this trip I've had the Jeepney in the shop 4 times, and a few more on-the-road repairs.

Shop in Oregon - valve cover gaskets to try to stop oil leaks, replace broken speedometer
Starter replacement gas station, Creswell Oregon - starter wouldn't engage - fortunately parts house a block away.
Shop in San Diego - try to fix overheating - but shop made it worse by cutting heater hose and filling with 100% antifreeze
Tucson, AZ Truck stop - rerouted heater hose, flush radiator
West Texas, speedometer broke again - shop in Oregon didn't lube cable it appears. I'll just live with it for now.
Louisiana border - replace starter again, this time starter would not disengage even with switch off. I think overheating cooked solenoid
Shop in Jacksonville, FL - install new (used but larger) radiator.
Shop in Jacksonville, FL - on day we were to leave, alternator bottom bolt broke off in exhaust manifold, causing alternator to go cocky-eye and burn belt
Memphis, TN - fabricated shroud for radiator.
Side of road, outside Memphis, TN - Starter still grinding, changed 3 shims on outboard screw to one, got it going again

Deferred maintenance:
Right rear shock off pin and lost bushing, cotter pin etc, so it just hangs.
Speedometer cable broken
Oil still leaking from front of oil pan or bottom of timing cover - just keep checking and adding oil
Gear oil still leaking from Dana 18 transfer case - pump gear oil into transfer case daily to keep it topped off

Florida and overheating problems go hand in hand. Tell us what kind of radiator they put in. What makes it Bigger?

Wow lots of repairs. Hoped the trip was a little smoother for you. At least you brought your tool bad.

Back home finally. The shop put in a 26" wide radiator that gave more cooling capacity. Helped quite a bit. The rest of the ride went pretty smooth. Had to shim the outside of the starter more. The overheating remains a problem - At 2200 rpm with the overdrive I figure I am going between 60 and 65, and the temperature holds around 215-220 degrees. However in traffic, at a stop light, or going up a hill the temp climbs on up. I've gotten as high as 250 again before I realize it and slow way down going up a hill. I'm right in there with the semis crawling up the big hills.

I just had a possible brainstorm - I have been using Herm's overdrive on my sbc 350 and TH350 rig, with the dana 18 transfer case. I need to get the shims to allow to it go back to direct, so it has been in overdrive constantly. Would this cause the overheating? My thinking is that with the lower rpm, the water pump isn't turning as fast and not circulating water as well. 60 mph before would be 3500 rpm, now it is around 2400 rpm - that would be about 30% less rpm - would that equate to quite a bit lower waterflow?

Back