May 19, 2011
west suburbs of Chicago
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
The Fall Midwest Willys Reunion is taking a break. No event this year.
As far as I can decipher, they appear to be having venue issues. Just a guess on my part.

MEANWHILE

They are doing a Summer Midwest Willys Reunion in Effingham Illinois.
22-24 Aug 2014
http://www.midwestwillysreunion.org/sumwwr.htm

SummerReunionPoster.jpg

It's only 225 miles from me so, baring any catastrophes, I will be there.
The Holiday Inn is a bit pricey. There's a Super 8 300 yards away that's half the price.
I'm already booked.

Load 'em up guys and head there. I want to meet some of you. This might be your only chance this year. :)
There's a 1 in 100 chance I might see you in Moab this year, but don't hold your breath.

Last edited:
I plan on being there. I have a nice set of original seat from a 53 wagon looking for a home. I will post a picture or two as soon as I can. if you have any interest email me at dgreen6655@gmail.com

Im planning on going, and have never been. Are there cars for sale? still looking for a nice 59 truck if anyone has one.

It's only 3 days away.
Anybody else going?
Will it just be me, Dan and Tyler?
Speak up guys.
I want to meet you guys.
I'll have a "vendor booth" meaning a pile of stuff on the ground by my JK.
Come say Hi to me.

To answer your question Tyler, on occasion someone will have a for sale sign on his rig. Not often.

The first annual Summer Midwest Willys Reunion is done.
Jeff Petrowski (jpet) did a great job. Everything ran smoothly and a good time was had by all (I hope). Three cheers for Jeff and much encouragement to do it again next year.

There was talk about doing it in July so there'd be Ohio in May, Effingham in July and Jeff City (or wherever) in September. Nicely spaced out over the summer and throughout the Midwest. I like the idea.

The Location:
For me the location was great. Just a little over 3 hours drive, all interstate. I talked to many who were equally happy with Effingham as a location, including vendors. The only down side is that it's in the middle of Nowhere, IL. No cool place to do a Sunday morning convoy. Oh well.

The Venue:
The Holiday Inn was quite good. There's a huge area behind the motel for rallies such as ours. There was room for easily twice as many Jeeps as we had this weekend. I counted about three dozen Jeeps as well as the vendors.

The Banquet:
The food the Holiday Inn served was very good. Stuffed pork chops, boneless chicken in a sauce I don't know what was, mashed potatoes, green bean almondine and cake for desert. The only dissapointment was the beans - a little tough, probably too long in the warmer. Vegetables are the most difficult to serve en masse. The rest was very good. Waaay better than in Jeff City in 2011.

There were over 100 people at the banquet yet the food lines went quickly and smoothly as there were four (4) serving lines. The Holiday Inn gets my praise for a well done setup.

The Band:
I'm a musician and going in, I had serious doubts about the Willys Nelson Band. I really don't like lame, amateur bands at banquets. What could I expect from a bunch of old Jeeper types? Well, I was impressed. They all were more than just competant on their instruments. Especially important to me - they played in tune. Wow. Jeff's songs were clever and well done. His singing voice is pretty good and a really good fit for the musical style. I enjoyed it where I feared I might be wanting to plug my ears. And the sound level was exactly right for the room. Well done guys.

The Banquet Spotlight Presentation - The ElectroWillys:
Mike's talk and slide show on his electric M-38 was very well done. Just the right length, clear, concise, articulate, well organized. I enjoyed it immensely. I've been following his story and had talked to him Saturday afternoon so already knew most of what he presented but still found it enjoyable. The best part was he let me drive it Sunday morning before he loaded it up to leave. That was a kick. Thanks Mike.

The Weather.
Bright sunshine or light cloud cover all weekend. No rain - woohoo.
But
It was HOT! Over 90 degrees the whole time. Hey Jeff, can you order more moderate temps next year? :) I'm glad I took my pop-up canopy. Shade was mandatory.

The SWAG:
The SWAG bag was pretty slim this year. Harry (Midwest Willys) donated popcan coolers again and there were a couple packets of GoJo wipes. The rest was just advertising. Oh well.

The Swap Meet:
For me it was a bomb. I felt I priced my parts reasonably - I only brought good stuff, no junk. I only got three offers the whole time - all three insultingly low. :(
Sigh. Better luck next year.

All in all, I thought it was a great first shot at a new time and location. Jeff (and all his help) did a great job. The entire thing ran smoothly. I had a good time. It was worth the trip.

So where were all you gys? There were only three Wagons/Trucks at the show. A beautiful, blue pickup from Iowa with a drive train from other vehicles. He drove it to the reunion. There was a 2WD Wagon there very briefly. And a '53 Wagon on a trailer that looked like a rust bucket, but up close it was solid in all the normal rotten places. The rust was a nice, even patina of surface rust only. A couple of us thought it should be matte clear-coated as-is to preserve the patina.

Thanks Jeff and Company. Let's do it again next year.

Has an event been planned for 2015? Will Effingham, IL. be the location for the future events also? Interested in attending. Thanks.

Another southern Illinois native here and like the idea of Effingham if it happens again.

Not sure if there will be another one there or not. The intent of this one was to fill the void of the Fall Reunion in Jefferson City, MO which took a break for a year. I have not heard if they will be picking up Jefferson City this year yet or not. I'll see what I can find out.

Bill

All,

I talked to the planners about this today. As I mentioned, the summer was originally intended as a substitute for the missing fall reunion last year. They would be willing to have both, but requested that I ask some questions to get an idea of the interest:

1. If they had the show in Effingham in August, would you go to the September show in Jefferson City? Would you go to one or the other or both? The concern is one show would pull people away from the other. Is it feasible to have both, or should there just be one?

2. Would you be bringing a Jeep to display, or just appear in person? I believe last year's Effingham had about 35 Jeeps. They felt that was a pretty small turnout considering the work to put it on. It needs to be about double that to make it seem worth while.

There is a tremendous amount of work and time to put one of these on by volunteers who don't get paid. They want to make sure there is the best bang for the buck for all the participants.

Please let me know what you think and I will forward that information.
Bill

For me:
Effingham - 200 mi 3 hr
Hudson - 400 mi 6 hr
Jeff City - 400 mi 7 hr

For me Effigham is a no-brainer - close and easy to get to.

The Spring and Fall are a much bigger deal to attend because of time and distance. And since they are the same distance, Effingham would be as likely to detract from either one for me.

I'd like to think that a second year in Effingham would see a larger turnout. I thought it was pretty good for a first year try with relatively short notice. I'm well aware of the massive amount of work involved.
But here's a thought.
Jeff City is a long way from Colorado and the mountains. There are MANY Willys owners out there. If the Fall Reunion were closer to them, would we see a greater number from that region?
I think the problem is not that the three Reunions are too close in time. Rather they are perhpas too close in geography.
Ohio is a good location as there are other rallys farther east.
But I know of nothing farther west of Jeff City until you hit the CFFC Fall Color Tour in western Colorado. That's about 1,000 miles from me. Would it make more sense to spread the Reunions out geographically to take in more people? Would there be enough people to fill up three Reunions if they were spaced farther apart?
Just randoms thoughts for what they're worth. $0.02

Bill,
1. My family and I would attend an event in Effingham next year. Due to the travel time probably would not attend an event in Jefferson City.
2014 was held during the time of a big car show in Evansville IN called the Frog Follies. A three day National event with a awesome swap meet area. ( I came home with my '59 Willys PU).
As for having both, that's a big decision. I know the amount of work that goes into these events. Our Jeep club hosted the Flinthills Jeep Jamboree, Ft. Riley, KS.

2. 35 Jeeps for the first time was a great showing! Do not be discouraged! I would consider putting my truck on a trailer to bring. It is a work in progress. I enjoy looking at others vehicles and their ideas on building them.

Advertising is a big factor to gather a crowd, as are giveaways from sponsors.
My .02 cents worth.
Keep us informed.

I'm planning a trip to Colorado the first week of August. If the Effingham event is middle or late August I should be able to make it. With Effingham being about 83 miles for me it is a possibility I could make that trip with my wagon. I don't have any plans to make the Jeff City event.

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I will send that info back to them.

Hope I did not insult anyone's intelligence about the work involved. There are quite a few people that think you just hit the easy button. Sounds like you guys are seasoned.

As for the locations, the main planners of these events live in IL, MO and OH. That is why they take place there. Not sure if there is anyone interested in hosting one further west. I know they would be happy to help out if someone did, but I don't think the current crew would want to plan something so far away from them.

Thanks again,
Bill

As for the locations, the main planners of these events live in IL, MO and OH. . . but I don't think the current crew would want to plan something so far away from them.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that.
Anyhow, I'm go for Effingham again next year.

Back