Dec 4, 2013
Orange County NY
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Can any one give me some info on this heater ?
Where or who may sell parts for it ?
Paint code?
Photo of it installed in a 48 Truck?

Thanks guys

Attachments

• 20120621_174225[1].jpg
    20120621_174225[1].jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 106
Haven't seen one like that before. Heaters were pretty much all aftermarket so there's no telling what you will find. Dad put a B.F. Goodrich heater in mine way back when. Did a little cleanup and re-painting when I rebuilt the truck:

heater.jpg

dash000.jpg

From what the firewall looks like, it appears he didn't mount it where it was intended - should've probably been a little higher under the dash.

It might be interesting to have folks post pictures of their heaters; seems like there's a wide variety out there. The heater in my '56 pickup has a Willys logo on it, but I've never seen another one like it. I'll snap of pic of mine in the next day or so.

Not to hijack but if anybody has a heater they'd want to sell I'm looking for one.

My heater is clearly aftermarket, mounted crooked. Were they usually just heating inside air, with no outside air source? That is how mine is.

My '54 has your exact heater too cbvw6. I'll check for details or ID info and follow up. Ken

My heater is clearly aftermarket, mounted crooked. Were they usually just heating inside air, with no outside air source? That is how mine is.

Fresh air intake wasn't available until 1957.

I didn't realize my 50 chevy pickup was so modern- it used outside air for its heater, from louvers on the right side of the cab.

Here's my heater, don't recall if there's a name anywhere on it.
Here's my question. One wire from unit. Am I right to assume that engine coolant flows thru heater coils continuously and one wire connection goes to rheostat that controls fan speed? (Have not made connections to this yet)
Guess this guarantees some heat in can in all seasons, especially sacramentos 100+ summer days?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 72
Sounds about right - dad installed a shutoff valve when he put in the heater. He'd shut it off in the summer and open it back up in the winter. He installed it on the hose connection coming off of the engine, which was on the right rear top of the head on the F134:

disassembly005.jpg

It's just above and to the left of the left-most yellow circle in the picture.

cool to see vintage technology, simple but it works!! have not found any thing on the one I have... Did Willys ever have there own heaters ?

there were some that were badged Willys, but I don't know who made them.

Bruce

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Here's a couple pics of my heater. I'm not sure if it was installed at the factory, but I'm pretty sure my truck left the dealership with a heater installed.

IMG_7674.jpgIMG_7676.jpg

Here's a couple pics of my heater. I'm not sure if it was installed at the factory, but I'm pretty sure my truck left the dealership with a heater installed.

View attachment 10659View attachment 10660

I have this same heater that I plan to clean up and check for proper operation. It was not installed in my truck when I bought it from the PO, but he included it as an extra part. I can't find any writing/stamping on it to signify if it is a 6v, or 12v. Which is yours? Is it stamped anywhere on there?

I have this same heater that I plan to clean up and check for proper operation. It was not installed in my truck when I bought it from the PO, but he included it as an extra part. I can't find any writing/stamping on it to signify if it is a 6v, or 12v. Which is yours? Is it stamped anywhere on there?

Mine is 6volt, although I've never taken the heater apart. My truck is from the last year of 6volt (1956), so it's entirely possible that the same heater was used in later years with 12 volt motors. The defroster motor (which you can sort of see at the top of my second picture) has a sticker on it that says "6 volt," although it's a replacement motor so I don't know how an original motor would be labeled. The blower motor for the heater itself is located inside the case. Maybe you could try hooking your motor directly to a 6 volt source and see what happens? I'm pretty sure you can attach a voltage reducer if you need to.

Let me know if you need any help figuring out the wiring. I've got a two-speed switch underneath the ignition switch that turns on the defroster motor (I'm not sure if this switch is original), and there's also a rheostat under the dash that controls the heater fan speed (pic below). Also..,before you install your heater, you might want to fill the heater core with water and see if it leaks. New heater cores are pretty much unavailable, but I'd imagine a radiator shop could fix it if it's not too far gone. Good luck!

IMG_7677.jpg

Mine is 6volt, although I've never taken the heater apart. My truck is from the last year of 6volt (1956), so it's entirely possible that the same heater was used in later years with 12 volt motors. The defroster motor (which you can sort of see at the top of my second picture) has a sticker on it that says "6 volt," although it's a replacement motor so I don't know how an original motor would be labeled. The blower motor for the heater itself is located inside the case. Maybe you could try hooking your motor directly to a 6 volt source and see what happens? I'm pretty sure you can attach a voltage reducer if you need to.

Let me know if you need any help figuring out the wiring. I've got a two-speed switch underneath the ignition switch that turns on the defroster motor (I'm not sure if this switch is original), and there's also a rheostat under the dash that controls the heater fan speed (pic below). Also..,before you install your heater, you might want to fill the heater core with water and see if it leaks. New heater cores are pretty much unavailable, but I'd imagine a radiator shop could fix it if it's not too far gone. Good luck!

View attachment 10675

Great Info...thank you. My truck is also a 56'. I am restoring it, and converting to 12v, so I'll already be using some lower amperage voltage reducers for the gauges etc., so I'll just need a higher amperage one to reduce the voltage for this heater.

Glad I could help! Have you already started the 12v conversion? I'm actually pretty satisfied with my original 6v setup, especially after I replaced the wiring harness and cleaned all the wire connections. Of course, if you're planning on putting in any modern accessories, 12v is the only way to go. The only real "accessory" that I have on my truck is the heater

h5.jpgh3.jpgI just picked up this one on ebay for 55 bucks, motor is on the back, i need to find a defrost duct of some kind. ill start refinish n refurb when it gets here. not sure what year, but think its from a jeepster !willys heater.jpgh4.jpgh4.jpgwillys heater.jpg tag says its a harrisonh6.jpgh4.jpg

Last edited:
Back