'55 6-226 vacuum lines

How do you plug the vacuum side of the pump if using electric wipers ? Just run a loop from one side of pump to other ?

John,

If you have a '55, you likely have the 2 bbl 2204s carburetor.

The best/cleanest thing to do is to remove the (vacuum) line that runs from the vacuum port on the throttle body, located just below the carburetor on the back (firewall) side, to the vacuum wiper assist on the fuel pump and then plug the (now open) port on the throttle body.

It's important that you plug the open port on the throttle body, otherwise you will have a significant vacuum leak and the motor will not run.

As for plugging as the vacuum assist ports on the fuel pump, you can just leave them open or, as you suggest - run a loop from one side to the other.

If you have the single barrel 2467 carter carb, use the same procedure outlined above - although the location of the vacuum port is, I believe, on the intake manifold.

Hope this helps,

Ray

John,

If you have a '55, you likely have the 2 bbl 2204s carburetor.

The best/cleanest thing to do is to remove the (vacuum) line that runs from the vacuum port on the throttle body, located just below the carburetor on the back (firewall) side, to the vacuum wiper assist on the fuel pump and then plug the (now open) port on the throttle body.

It's important that you plug the open port on the throttle body, otherwise you will have a significant vacuum leak and the motor will not run.

As for plugging as the vacuum assist ports on the fuel pump, you can just leave them open or, as you suggest - run a loop from one side to the other.

If you have the single barrel 2467 carter carb, use the same procedure outlined above - although the location of the vacuum port is, I believe, on the intake manifold.

Hope this helps,

Ray
I have a single barrel carb. Doesn't the vacuum line on the carb go to the distributor for vacuum advance ? There is a line off carb and intake manifold

I have a single barrel carb. Doesn't the vacuum line on the carb go to the distributor for vacuum advance ? There is a line off carb and intake manifold

Yes, the vacuum line on your single barrel carburetor goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor.
It is the vacuum line on the intake manifold that goes to the vacuum wiper motor or first to the vacuum assist on the fuel pump and then to the vacuum wiper motor - this is the vacuum line you want to disconnect, then plug the port/hole in the manifold.

If I'm no longer using the vacuum booster part of the fuel pump, does it matter where one closes off the port? Before (at the manifold) or after the booster?

If I'm no longer using the vacuum booster part of the fuel pump, does it matter where one closes off the port? Before (at the manifold) or after the booster?

Bob,

It doesn't matter where you close off the vacuum line.

That said, I recommend you plug the port at the intake manifold - because all of the remaining connections are potential vacuum leaks, if not now, possibly in the future.

I also recommend, after plugging the intake manifold port, that you remove all of the unneeded vacuum lines to/from the vacuum booster and to the vacuum wiper motor - it simplifies and 'cleans up' the engine compartment.

Ray

can anyone explain the vacuum line connections from the 2 bbl carter carburetor? There appears to be two connections. I am assuming one goes to the fuel pump and the other to the connection on the top of the exhaust manifold, but I am not certain. Checked my mechanics manual but it doesn't provide a diagram or good written description. Nothing worthwhile from the web either.
Thanks for bringing this Topic up! It solves a Mystery for me. And your're right, no Vacuum Diagram to be found. I see
can anyone explain the vacuum line connections from the 2 bbl carter carburetor? There appears to be two connections. I am assuming one goes to the fuel pump and the other to the connection on the top of the exhaust manifold, but I am not certain. Checked my mechanics manual but it doesn't provide a diagram or good written description. Nothing worthwhile from the web either.
Ron,

Here is a picture with the single barrel 2467 Carter carburetor setup, but it's the same for the 2204 2bbl (and really for all carburetors - as it really ties into the intake manifold.)

As per the attached picture:

The inlet to the fuel pump with vacuum booster (A) comes from the intake manifold. On the 1bbl it is directly on the intake manifold (E) as the picture shows, whereas, on the 2bbl it's located on the firewall side of the carburetor/throttle body, just above the intake manifold.

The output to the vacuum wiper (F), in this picture is shown as terminated right near the fuel pump, but should run to the input of the vacuum wiper motor. I routed mine using hard line (1/8" - I think) , directly back to the fire wall, under the exhaust manifold, and up the firewall, then, used a 6" to 8" rubber hose to the wiper motor.

If you don't have a fuel pump with the vacuum booster, then you just run the vacuum line from the output of the intake manifold/throttle body to the input of the vacuum wiper motor directly. This is how it was originally done, but you're prone to loosing the wipe action while accelerating, as you loose significant vacuum with the throttle open. The vacuum assist on the fuel pump makes up for this loss of vacuum.

Ray

View attachment 9681
This is Super Helpful , Ray ! Thanks for posting.

I just ran all new fuel and vacuum lines on mine

Attachments

• 135758085_238585427651798_1952935871350347387_n.jpg
    135758085_238585427651798_1952935871350347387_n.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3617.JPG
    IMG_3617.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3615.JPG
    IMG_3615.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 75
Ron,

Here is a picture with the single barrel 2467 Carter carburetor setup, but it's the same for the 2204 2bbl (and really for all carburetors - as it really ties into the intake manifold.)

As per the attached picture:

The inlet to the fuel pump with vacuum booster (A) comes from the intake manifold. On the 1bbl it is directly on the intake manifold (E) as the picture shows, whereas, on the 2bbl it's located on the firewall side of the carburetor/throttle body, just above the intake manifold.

The output to the vacuum wiper (F), in this picture is shown as terminated right near the fuel pump, but should run to the input of the vacuum wiper motor. I routed mine using hard line (1/8" - I think) , directly back to the fire wall, under the exhaust manifold, and up the firewall, then, used a 6" to 8" rubber hose to the wiper motor.

If you don't have a fuel pump with the vacuum booster, then you just run the vacuum line from the output of the intake manifold/throttle body to the input of the vacuum wiper motor directly. This is how it was originally done, but you're prone to loosing the wipe action while accelerating, as you loose significant vacuum with the throttle open. The vacuum assist on the fuel pump makes up for this loss of vacuum.

Ray
View attachment 9681
LOL, the time this picture could have saved me last year....great resource!

Cliff,

There are four lines connected to the 2 bbl 2204s carter carburetor. The fuel line, two vacuum lines, and one line for the automatic choke.

1) The fuel line is located at the top of the fuel bowl and comes in on the backside of the carb (towards the firewall).

2) The vacuum line to the wipers, or to the vacuum wiper assist on the fuel pump, is located below that, on the throttle body just above the intake manifold. If not used, it must be plugged.

3) The vacuum line to the timing advance on the distributor is located on the front side of the throttle body - as shown in the attached pictures.

4) The automatic choke line (also shown in the attached pictures) is wrapped with insulation and goes to the port in the exhaust manifold. Note that that hole goes all the way through the exhaust manifold and, if not used (when you have a manual choke), does not need to be plugged up. Hot air from the exhaust manifold is drawn up to control the automatic choke. If not used, the line into the choke does need to be plugged, otherwise it will cause a small vacuum leak.

Ray

View attachment 9679View attachment 9680
Can you please confirm in your Point 4 that the hot air port will cause a small vacuum leak if not plugged? The manifold end of my insulated port is open and therefor would also cause a small leak. Is there supposed to be a fitting on that end?

Back