May 12, 2013
United States
First Name
cliff
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
can anyone explain the vacuum line connections from the 2 bbl carter carburetor? There appears to be two connections. I am assuming one goes to the fuel pump and the other to the connection on the top of the exhaust manifold, but I am not certain. Checked my mechanics manual but it doesn't provide a diagram or good written description. Nothing worthwhile from the web either.

Cliff,

There are four lines connected to the 2 bbl 2204s carter carburetor. The fuel line, two vacuum lines, and one line for the automatic choke.

1) The fuel line is located at the top of the fuel bowl and comes in on the backside of the carb (towards the firewall).

2) The vacuum line to the wipers, or to the vacuum wiper assist on the fuel pump, is located below that, on the throttle body just above the intake manifold. If not used, it must be plugged.

3) The vacuum line to the timing advance on the distributor is located on the front side of the throttle body - as shown in the attached pictures.

4) The automatic choke line (also shown in the attached pictures) is wrapped with insulation and goes to the port in the exhaust manifold. Note that that hole goes all the way through the exhaust manifold and, if not used (when you have a manual choke), does not need to be plugged up. Hot air from the exhaust manifold is drawn up to control the automatic choke. If not used, the line into the choke does need to be plugged, otherwise it will cause a small vacuum leak.

Ray

Two-Barrel Carb 2204 - 1.jpgTwo-Barrel Carb 2204 - 2.jpg

Hi Ray - Could you post a couple of additional pictures showing the routing to the wiper motor?

Thanks

Ron

Reactions: dlj
Ron,

Here is a picture with the single barrel 2467 Carter carburetor setup, but it's the same for the 2204 2bbl (and really for all carburetors - as it really ties into the intake manifold.)

As per the attached picture:

The inlet to the fuel pump with vacuum booster (A) comes from the intake manifold. On the 1bbl it is directly on the intake manifold (E) as the picture shows, whereas, on the 2bbl it's located on the firewall side of the carburetor/throttle body, just above the intake manifold.

The output to the vacuum wiper (F), in this picture is shown as terminated right near the fuel pump, but should run to the input of the vacuum wiper motor. I routed mine using hard line (1/8" - I think) , directly back to the fire wall, under the exhaust manifold, and up the firewall, then, used a 6" to 8" rubber hose to the wiper motor.

If you don't have a fuel pump with the vacuum booster, then you just run the vacuum line from the output of the intake manifold/throttle body to the input of the vacuum wiper motor directly. This is how it was originally done, but you're prone to loosing the wipe action while accelerating, as you loose significant vacuum with the throttle open. The vacuum assist on the fuel pump makes up for this loss of vacuum.

Ray
FuelVacPumpe.jpg

Ron,

Here is a picture with the single barrel 2467 Carter carburetor setup, but it's the same for the 2204 2bbl (and really for all carburetors - as it really ties into the intake manifold.)

The inlet to the fuel pump with vacuum booster (A) comes from the intake manifold. On the 1bbl it is directly on the intake manifold (E) as the picture shows, whereas, on the 2bbl it's located on the firewall side of the carburetor/throttle body, just above the intake manifold.

The output to the vacuum wiper (F), in this picture is shown as terminated right near the fuel pump, but should run to the input of the vacuum wiper motor. I routed mine using hard line (1/8" - I think) , directly back to the fire wall, under the exhaust manifold, and up the firewall, then, used a 6" to 8" rubber hose to the wiper motor.

If you don't have a fuel pump with the vacuum booster, then you just run the vacuum line from the output of the intake manifold/throttle body to the input of the vacuum wiper motor directly. This is how it was originally done, but you're prone to loosing the wipe action while accelerating, as you loose significant vacuum with the throttle open. The vacuum assist on the fuel pump makes up for this loss of vacuum.

Ray

View attachment 9681

Great explanation and pictures. Thanks!

Ray,

Thanks for the info and pics, best explanation I have received/found. I will make he connections this week...

Excellent thanks - my truck came with nothing - now I can hookup my new fuel tank/line and pump

Ron,

Ray

attachment.php
Lucky to find this. While waiting for my new Radiator, I was replacing my heater hoses. One vacuum hose to the drivers side of the wiper motor was tied together with the heater hose. When I cut the string binding them together I found the vacuum hose to the wipers was only attached to the wiper motor. The other end ran towards the fuel pump with a threaded fitting. I checked the fuel pump and no fitting to accept the vacuum line. Although not hooked to it. I do have the line going from the intake to the fuel pump. The wipers worked about as good as I remember from many years ago in other rigs. I am wondering if I could improve the wiper performance if I put a tee in the line between the intake and the fuel pump? Any other ideas? Thanks, Mike.

Cliff,

There are four lines connected to the 2 bbl 2204s carter carburetor. The fuel line, two vacuum lines, and one line for the automatic choke.

1) The fuel line is located at the top of the fuel bowl and comes in on the backside of the carb (towards the firewall).

2) The vacuum line to the wipers, or to the vacuum wiper assist on the fuel pump, is located below that, on the throttle body just above the intake manifold. If not used, it must be plugged.

3) The vacuum line to the timing advance on the distributor is located on the front side of the throttle body - as shown in the attached pictures.

4) The automatic choke line (also shown in the attached pictures) is wrapped with insulation and goes to the port in the exhaust manifold. Note that that hole goes all the way through the exhaust manifold and, if not used (when you have a manual choke), does not need to be plugged up. Hot air from the exhaust manifold is drawn up to control the automatic choke. If not used, the line into the choke does need to be plugged, otherwise it will cause a small vacuum leak.

Ray

View attachment 9679View attachment 9680
Ray. Can I completely remove the insulated hot air line from the manifold and then plug the hole in the automatic choke since I have converted to a manual choke on my 2 barrel carb? Will I get bad exhaust gas coming out of the manifold if I do not plug that unthreaded hole. I so what type of plug should I use in that unthreaded hole?

Ray. Can I completely remove the insulated hot air line from the manifold and then plug the hole in the automatic choke since I have converted to a manual choke on my 2 barrel carb? Will I get bad exhaust gas coming out of the manifold if I do not plug that unthreaded hole. I so what type of plug should I use in that unthreaded hole?

David,
The port/hole in the exhaust manifold that the insulated line to the automatic choke is attached goes all the way through the exhaust manifold and does not need to be plugged when you convert to a manual choke. No exhaust gas will exit from this port.

Also, it's good practice to cap off the port/hole in the automatic choke as it'll keep debris from entering the automatic choke mechanism (if you ever decide to use the auto choke again in the future), but it's not really necessary and won't cause a vacuum leak if left unplugged. (This is a slight change from what I had originally posted in Nov 2013.)

Hope this helps,
Ray

Ps: My 55 Pickup is currently not running. You have given me motivation to remedy that situation. Thanks!!!

Ray. Can I completely remove the insulated hot air line from the manifold and then plug the hole in the automatic choke since I have converted to a manual choke on my 2 barrel carb? Will I get bad exhaust gas coming out of the manifold if I do not plug that unthreaded hole. I

Ray. Can I completely remove the insulated hot air line from the manifold Yes and then plug the hole in the automatic choke since I have converted to a manual choke on my 2 barrel carb Yes? Will I get bad exhaust gas coming out of the manifold if I do not plug that unthreaded hole No.
Ray

Ron,

Ray

View attachment 9681
This is a great explanation!
thank
allicdata

How do you plug the vacuum side of the pump if using electric wipers ? Just run a loop from one side of pump to other ?

Back