Precision Fit
Dec 17, 2012
Castro Valley, Ca.
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1956
Hi everybody,

R&P 4WD just released their new dual master kit specifically for Willys trucks and wagons. I have been pestering them for some time for one so as soon as it was released I bought one. The kit uses the Wilwood dual master part number 260-7563 and Wilwood residual pressure reducing valves. The valves are for disc brake applications only so if you have discs in the front and drums in the rear you only get one valve. I went with discs all around so my kit came with two.
One of the most important components is the mounting bracket. You can see it in the first picture in the center. The bracket has holes lined up perfectly for mounting to the existing holes in the frame. The large hole on the left end of the bracket as shown slides over the brake pedal shaft and retains the brake/clutch pedals. A cotter pin seals the deal. The opening for the MC in the bracket is actually slotted so there is some movement available left-right for alignment.
The second really important component is the plunger. The plunger is shown in the lower right corner of the kit picture. You can see that one end has an eye opening that slips over the shaft in the brake pedal and the other end connects to the piston of the MC. There is a lockable adjustment connection between the two ends.
Mounting the bracket and MC too all of 10 minutes. I love it when parts fit as advertised. I absolutely hate it when they don't so I was really pleased with the planning of this kit. I put the plunger in and connected it up to the barke shaft to test fit, but decided to remove it until I was ready to start bleeding. Hell, I haven't even run new lines yet.
So I'll let you know if I have any problems when I get there, but I really don't foresee any with the completeness of the kit. Now all I have to do is figure out where I'm going to put the reservoirs!
Cheers!
Johnny Mac

mc kit.jpgmc installed.jpg

Looks much more straight forward than the "kit" I got from Herm-the-Overdrive-Guy. I particularly like that you don't have to cut off the stock MC mounting. And the remote reservoir system is vastly better than filling the MC under the floor.
My only concern is about the Wilwood MC itself - is it rated for "on road" use? I thought Wilwood products were for racing only.
Nevertheless, this kit looks really good.

Off hand I would say that John and the guys at R&P 4WD did their fair share of research so I'm confident the MC will hold up to off road use. Besides, about the only way to make it better would be possibly cast iron instead of aluminum. It's plenty solid though when installed. One important point is the MC comes with internal pressure valves for drum brakes. If you are using disc brakes, these need to be removed and use the external valves supplied. Removal process is really easy - especially if you do it on the bench before mounting to the frame.
Cheers!
Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac,

I'm not really concerned about off-road use. I always worry (unfortunately part of my genetic make-up) about liability. If there were an accident and officials noticed non-OEM brakes, they will start asking questions.

Pavel

What do you do with the existing pressure switch and wiring? It looks like this unit eliminates the pressure switch, is that the case?

I just installed the R&P kit. Johnny Mac is right about the easy fit. It took me longer but on a creeper and a couple of inches to work in.

Farfrom: The kit comes with a "T" fitting with the straight through having standard female brake line threads and the other with female thread for the mounting of the pressure switch. R&P seems to have thought of everything.

This weekend I finish the rest of the replacement of the brake lines and new rear wheel cylinders.

You guys bring up a good point. My wagon was just a shell when I got it so I need to add that pressure switch. I was wondering what the Tee was for!
And Pavel, I agree totally about being safe. I plan on this being a seudo-daily driver for the freeway in the Bay Area for me and my wife. So it better be. On the other hand, my wagon is going to be cobbled up from a GM 4.3 L V6 using Novak engine mounts, Monster 4L60E transmission mount, Lokar shifter, Advanced Adapter's Saginaw steering conversion kit, late 60's GM saginaw steering box, R&P 4WD front and rear axles, GM disc brakes and Imperial Driveline drive shaft. And this MC brake kit. What could go wrong? Besides, I'm going to have her do the test drive.....
Cheers!
Johnny Mac

Thanks for the information on the pressure switch and thanks for the write up.

Wilwood brakes are not only for off road use. They make them for on and off road use. On an average, they are way better than stock brakes in the way of fit, finish, and over all quality. Some of the most expensive road cars from the factory come with Wilwood brakes.

Are you talking about calipers or master cylinders? The best way to find out if Wilwood master cylinder can be used "on road" is to ask the company.

They make and sell both. I agree with you, they should be called. their products are of the highest quality.

I just installed the R&P kit. Johnny Mac is right about the easy fit. It took me longer but on a creeper and a couple of inches to work in.

Farfrom: The kit comes with a "T" fitting with the straight through having standard female brake line threads and the other with female thread for the mounting of the pressure switch. R&P seems to have thought of everything.

This weekend I finish the rest of the replacement of the brake lines and new rear wheel cylinders.
If anyone is replacing their brake line I recommend stainless steel lines. You can make the bends by hand and the line will not kink.

Anybody know if anyone else is making this or something like this? Sounds like exactly what I need for my wagon, but it looks like R&P is no longer in business.

Bummer... I have their setup and it works great... I think everything is pretty much off the shelf except the caliper bracket.

Back