The Doge

Well Oiled
Jun 15, 2011
Allen, TX
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
I was flipping through the channels this weekend and saw where one of the Mountain Men on this tv show drives a Willys pickup truck to get him through the mountains. He chases and scares off mountain lions. He had one of his dogs perched on the hood and another on the bed.

I saw that too! I was channel surfing and just happened to tune in when there was a shot of the truck. "WOW a Willys Truck!" then I realized it was Mountain Men and figured it was par for the course. . . Pretty funny with those hounds on the hood. . . poor dogs . . .

It was on last night. Looked to be a 51-54 with the small speedo, and maybe with a later 3 bar (2 upper) grille. 4 cyl changed out? diggerG

Ok guys and gals....

When is this show on???...I dont get but basic cable at my place....I would love to see an old Willys going down the road....even tho it is a Hollywood staged thing...never seen a Willys anything on any TV show before....does it look at least old and smelly like it is supposed to???

MikeC

Last edited:
Ok guys and gals....

When is this show on???...I dont get but basic cable at my place....I would love to see and old Willys going down the road....even tho it is a Hollywood staged thing...never seen a Willys anything on any TV show before....does it look at old and smelly like it is supposed to???

MikeC

I think it's usually on Sunday nights on the History Channel (basic cable for me). It just premiered its second season last night. Funny thing, attached is a link that talks about the production company. A small bunch in Missoula, just down the road from me. Kinda fun to read about the camera crew who have to keep up with those guys who sound like live the life. http://missoulian.com/business/loca...cle_9f65c78a-cfcc-11e2-a81b-001a4bcf887a.html

Hi Everyone

I dont get the history channel (I can stream it on my compter tho) but I gotta say that guy Rich Lewis that owns the Willys truck is quite the character. he calls his 1956 Willys truck "Wilber". It appears as tho he really drives it too. I am very impressed by his old truck. It is old and smelly and looks like it gets him back into the hills where he hunts for his mountain lions and his wolfs too. He is really using it as it was intended to be used and I like that.

Thanks for bringing it up on here.

MikeC

I think it would be cool to start a thread that only has movie and TV sightings of Willys trucks and wagons. I'm always keeping a sharp eye out when I watch movies. I just saw a movie the other day that had a wagon in it and saw another TV show that had a wagon as well. I can't remember them right now but it will come to me.

ETA: I remember one, it was in the movie "Oh, God" with George Burns and John Denver...I was flipping through the channels last weekend and caught part of it.

Last edited:
Look what I found...I am so proud of this guy Richard Lewis who runs his old Willys truck like it was designed to be used...would love to meet him and get a close up look of this old truck...

richard lewis willys truck.jpg (42.2 KB)

I found this photo on their facebook page.

Attachments

• richard lewis willys truck.jpg
    richard lewis willys truck.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 44
After he calls it Wilber, he then says its a girl. I am confused, but that is nothing new...I like the show, but they seem to be having less and less with the ole guy in the north Carolina mountains . tim

"Wilbur" is a '56 truck, according to Rich. He puts his 3 year old dog "Capone" on the hood, so he can see when the dog smells out his quarry, while the other dogs ride in a box in the back. Pretty cool! Gotta love that facial hair, too! lol

Back