Knuckle Buster
Mar 7, 2013
Canada
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
Hi there I'm new to this site and I call British Columbia, Canada my home. This site appears to have some knowable members and helful info. I recently obtained a 1952 Willys pickup 4wd drive. I have also purchased a 1991 Chevy S10 4x4 ext cab 5 speed pickup and am looking at the possibility of seting the willys body on an S10 4wd frame (118 in. wheel base)for beter brakeing, ride and more power. Any suggestions? And any picture if anyone has done this before would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom

Welcome and good luck with your new project. Lots of helpful folks in here and your plan sounds like a great one.

Lots of work involved in that. Nothing interchanges so everything has to be arranged to work/fit. I tried this with a full size chevy years back and after a couple years of work and more money than I could afford the whole project went to the scrap yard. I now have alot more appreciation for the Willys Overland Company. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum Tom-

Pete

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a great project there. If the S10 frame swap is too complicated, another option would be to install the engine from the S10. Does it have the 4.3 V6? That swap is pretty common and doesn't overtax much of the Willys' chassis and drivetrain, although steering and stopping upgrades are also common.

Cheers,

Scramboleer (one of the many Dans)

Welcome to the Forum Tom. There are others on this Forum that have done the S-10 Chassis Conversion with excellent results. I did a full sized Chevy Shortbed 4X4 Chassis Conversion under my 57 Willys Pickup. That project went quite smoothly. Check out my Build Log to see for yourself. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805815/1957-willys-pickup/
Check your State's Laws that may regulate that your tires can not stick out past your wheel wells, etc. That is not a problem in my great state of Colorado. Do your research and due diligence and make a plan. There are many successful Chassis Conversions done on these Old Willys Trucks, and if you do your homework and have a plan, your project will also be successful. Good Luck. Take lots of Pictures and create a Build Log for the Next Guy wanting to do this project! John (aka: Pivnic)

Floyd 389 Floyd is FREE 04302012.jpg

Hi John
looked like an awesome project. You mentioned that there were other post of the s10 frame swaps. Where can I find them?

Hi John
looked like an awesome project. You mentioned that there were other post of the s10 frame swaps. Where can I find them?

Hi Tom. I'd put out another post that you are looking for info from others that have done a Willys Pickup/S-10 Chassis Conversion. I know one Colorado member that did this exact project, but he may not sign onto the forum very often. You can PM him and see if he responds. His Forum Id is: nealneu He has a beautiful light Green Pickup with an S-10 chassis under it. It's quite a nice show truck. Let me know if you don't get a response and I'll try to get a hold of him for ya. Pivnic

Welcome to the forums. Frame swaps can involve a lot of work, sometimes it can be easier to build a new frame to fit the components or to make mounts to fit the new components int the existing frame if it is in good shape.

Thanks John, I sent an email off hopefully I get a reply.
The old frames not worth using, it's been too beat up. I have the tools and ability to do the swap I'm just looking for somebody who has done a simular project and knows what problem may occur and possible solution to fix them. The reasons I'm going with a modern frame and running gear is so that it can be a comfortable daily drive with good breaks and handling. And if any think ever goes wrong parts are easy to come by.
Thanks for all the interest guys :)

Greetings ! I have considered the swap you are doing. I think it would be a great fit for a Willy's Pickup. The wheel base is correct, now the firewall to front axle distance is ? Check some of the build threads on here and see what you find !

Newbie doing same swap

Hi John, I have a 4wd s10 118" frame from mid 80's and want to do the same frame for daily driver. Are you still doing your project? I a, in Friday Harbor, WA and just getting started, but noticed you are in BC. Where, and where to things sand?

Back