When did 12 volt start in the Willys Wagon

mathew21

Bigger Hammer
Feb 16, 2012
Clinton Township, MI
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Seems to be a lot of electrical talk on the board lately it just got me wondering what year did Willys switch to a 12 volt system? I did google it but I found a few different answers.

Thanks, Matt

1957. That's based on the Autolite books. Prior to that only 6v components were listed. After that, 6v and 12v components were listed.

You're welcome - with the weather around here I've just been taking it easy inside with the computer this evening. ;)

1957 Willys Trucks COULD BE either 6v or 12v. My 57 Willys Pickup was a 6v, so maybe early 57's were 6v and later 57's were 12v? Pivnic

Best I've been able to put together, 12v was an option in '57. Not sure when they flip-flopped it to where 6v was the option and 12v standard.

1956/57 were changeover years for many of the American auto manufacturers. Two of the changeovers that most made within these two years were 12v systems, and negative ground. For some reason, it took up until then for them to realize that they were galvanizing their bodies during manufacturing, and removing it with the positive ground electrical systems. Just add a little water, especially with a little road salt added for flavor, and you have a solution for de-plating.

Guys on the CJ-3B site say that 1957 was the switch to 12V with 6V as an option for a few years after.
And as far as I know, the 6V systems in the CJs were Negative ground.
I'd have to check with Ken on the 3B site to confirm.

Just for giggles, and to stir the pot, 12v actually started in MBs during WWII. ALL Radio Jeeps were 12v. But ALL were also POSITIVE ground. Everything NOT a radio Jeep was 6v. Played hell with the supply chain I'm sure. Tons of 6v parts, and having to stock some 12v voltage regulators, points/condenser, coils, plug wires, starters, etc. for the 12v Jeeps.

That's interesting.
Most of the military Jeeps I've seen were 24V but I think they were all post WWII - like M-606s and M38A1s.
And I never knew the radio Jeeps were pos ground.
You learn something new every day (if you pay attention). :)

Jeeps weren't the only military vehicle to go 12 volts for radios. I had a Dodge WC53 (Carryall) that was 12 volts, also set up for radio usage. I'm sure other Mils used that also. And, 12 volts was used before the war by somebody, I just don't remember who. As for the positive ground, All Fords were 6v positive ground until the 12 volt changeover. Mack trucks used a 12v positive ground system at least into the early 70's. (Try swapping trailers around with electric brakes to a Mack someday) . diggerG

What a dumb ass I am forgot why I posted in the first place! Willys was covering their asses with the "optional" 6v or 12v. They would title a Jeep when the dealer sold it, not when it was manufactured. Thence some 57's were 12v and some 58's were 6 v. Willys wasn't about to sell a new but last years model Jeep at year old prices. This wasn't a problem when each model year was about identical to last years model. I was told this from an old timer (who was younger than I am now back then) who was a service manager at a Jeep dealer in Ma. throughout the 50's into the 60's. diggerG

Since I just had the book out, I glanced at the Autolite parts book on that. The 1960 book was still showing 12v and optional 6v part numbers up to and including the 1960 models. And, to your point diggerG, a few years ago I ran across a reference where Willys sent out new serial number plates to the dealers so they could update a vehicle for the 'new' model year. Recycling at its finest! ;)

Fantastic Mathman! How many lawsuits would we see if Ford or GM tried that today? Are we surprised that sometimes people can't figure out what year their Jeep is? Even if it wasn't built from a pile of parts? Jeep must have re plated the ones that sat around for a long time, maybe past a year. diggerG

And they never scrapped a part if they could use it on the assembly line, so you may rest assured that they made 6V available until ALL their stock of 6V parts was GONE. Generators, light bulbs, insturments, any other part that was Voltage specific.
Waste not, Want not.

Big GM cars had 12 volts in 53,the rest of GM in 55. Ford and Mopar in 56.I can imagine a small company like Willys had to use up any and all parts before a change over. Then beat up their parts vendors to try for cheaper prices. Willys bought much less than Ford or Mopar and likely paid more per unit.

Probable not as these would sit on dealers lots and get registered as the year of sale not manufactured. Assuming that, I would not expect it, but who knows now. So many of the records were lost/destroyed that it becomes a guessing game based on clues.

Back