Mar 24, 2011
Indianapolis
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
When I restored the wagon I completely rebuilt the engine. I left no stone un-turned and the Super Hurricane has run pretty well for 3000 miles. It has alway had a slight off idle hesitation which always frustrated me. Of course you think carb and I have even tried a second carb which I rebuilt with care and that did not change anything. Tonight since it is almost time to tuck the old girl in for the winter I decided to do and oil change and a tune up. Plugs looked pretty good and the points were showing some pitting. I realized that the points and condenser looked fine when I rebuilt the engine so I re-used them. No idea how old they are. I installed the new points and condensor and plugs and double checked the dwell and timming and she seemed to run great as always. I took her for a spin and behold absolutely no hesitation. Runs perfectly. I never even touched the carb nor did I change the timming. I guess it could have been a condensor issue but I certainly have never seen this in 35 years of wrenching. Hmm. I guess I should have changed them to start with just cheap I guess.

90% of modern day carb problems are fuel. Ie: your jets are too small. Whats that you say? Your carb and jets are as new factory! That might be true. And that might be good. IF you were running gasoline from the year of your vehicle. Say, 1960 Willys X. But today, most fuel you buy has alcohol in it. And a considerable amount depending on the state you live it. Since modern file has less of a BTU than actual gasoline, you may need to bump the jet size as much as .006" to get rid of off idle hesitation. Ill write more tomorrow when I'm more awake and not on an iPhone.

That should have read "most fuel." sorry. iPhone and tired fingers.

Most of the vehicles we've built are carbureted. And in my experience, and on advice from my engine builder and the carb shop we use for restoration, they all take a 0.003-0.006" larger jet that what stock called for. I suppose that will depend on your fuel mix in your area, but you can always start with one jet size up (or 0.001-0.002" larger drill bit size) and go from there. If you stand next to the engine with the hood open (duh) and the engine at idle (properly adjusted idle air screws) and grab the throttle to quickly rev the engine, and it stumbles and makes a loud sucking noise all at the same time, you have a lean condition in the jets. Keep enlarging until you have a crisp throttle response, and a mild sucking noise with no stumble.

Actually the ignition tune up took car of the hesitation. I drove her about 30 miles today and she ran great. I beleive it was a weak condenser. I know it was at least 30 years old not really sure before that. Anyway all is well I just thought it was interesting. Like you say many carb problems are ignition. The joys of old cars. I like it!!

Back