Vintage Willys pictures

Here's a CJ getting out of the way at the Sonora Pass (Sierra Nevada), California:

Anyone up for a trip to the Cherryland Inn in Traverse City, Michigan?
cherryland.jpg

(Both from the H.A.M.B)

Here are four shots of a 1962 wagon with the 230 OHC from the Facebook group "Willys Jeep Trucks, Wagons, Jeepsters, CJ2A's, and FC's Gone Wild:"

Saline Valley, CA 1962?
Willys vintage picture (10).jpg

Baja 1972":
Willys vintage picture (11).jpg
Willys vintage picture (13).jpg
Willys vintage picture (12).jpg

Here are some great shots from the Kaiser Permanente historical section (http://kaiserpermanentehistory.org/tag/kaiser-jeep-corp/).
Henry-Kaiser-in-Jeep.jpg

The first shows the Kaiser design studio in the 1950s (they bought Willys-Overland in 1953).

Jeep-Design2.jpg

This picture, also from Kaiser Permanente, shows a flock of Surreys in the 1960s:

This one was a gift to Kaiser's wife in 1958:
Jeep-Pink_Hawaii1.jpg
16_1107_02.jpg

The UC Berkeley library (Bancroft) has volumes of Jeep historical literature. Maybe one day I'll head over there and see what can be seen.
Jeep-Design2.jpg

If those three guys in the first picture at Kaiser were responsible for the "new" front end on the wagon and pickup that was produced in S. America they should have been flogged.

It was common in old marketing products from different manufacturers to show the subject vehicle as larger and longer than the actual size so as to make them more attractive I guess. That one in the third picture would be 50% larger than stock. Makes one wonder how many would have been sold at that size. I wish my wagon had room for another row of seats or for more gear.

That would make a great 4-door. Too bad they never made a long wheelbase 4-door Wagon. I'd definitely want one.

More from the H.A.M.B.

Here's a wagon and a CJ parked on the side of the street somewhere in the Midwest (Morrison, Illinois?):
28358041812_d3330223bf_b.jpg

Pikes Peak?
pikes-peak-year-unknown-jpg.3280084

Early Gladiator:
pc6l4.jpg

Pioneer Trading Post (Cherokee, North Carolina):
1593233466996.png

Last edited:
Great catch Auggie. Sweet interior also with the skylights and third row of seats. Interesting to note, as Mickeykelly pointed out to me the seats are set up like my wagon. Both solo seats in line and the doubles in line as well. Thanks, Mike.:cheers:

Lol, sorry gang, I will try to remember to reply with quote next time to avoid the confusion of were the comment fits in, I should have learned from my nice bumper comment. Oh and Dan, I really enjoyed the Pikes Peak photo, Those drivers had nads of iron. Thanks.

The nads of iron weren't that necessary going up. It isnt that bad of a road going up. The cast iron hads were needed going down. Without brakes, or with hot tired brakes, you'd only have the sideways slide to slow your momentum as you careened toward a steep edged drop-off.

Last edited:
Great pics of the 150 Dan. Sure wouldnt want to be in that thing driving down that hill without a load in the tail end of that bed.

Hot enough for you? Here's a shot from the H.A.M.B. to help cool off the summer heat:

13886324_1055359284577367_6650050322259282476_n.jpg
And here are two from eBay showing the Willys factory building a Jeepster in 1949 (not mine):
ub0951.jpg
ub0951.jpg
ub0950.jpg
And a 2wd wagon picture also on eBay:
ad3477.jpg
ad3477.jpg
And a few sketches from eBay for the FJ Fleetvan:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
And lastly - here's a picture of the Willys MA. The government took most of the MA design and added the Ford grill and fenders to come up with the Willys MB/Ford GPW of WWII:
zc5408.jpg

Last edited:
Back