Vintage Willys pictures

"An advertising photo showing two women loading items into a Jeep. The attached literature is as follows. Flournoy and Gibbs. RED CROSS Roto. Toledo chapter maintains a supply of cots and blankets at its headquarters which is available immediately. If the disaster reaches major proportions, chapters outside the area affected send in additional supplies and requisitions are made on nearby army installations and camps. Left to right: Mrs. William Morice and Mrs. J. W. Donovan of the motor corps hurriedly load a station wagon with cots and blankets."
1a0a26db.jpg

"A photograph of Sheriff J. Howell Flournoy, of Shreveport, Louisiana, standing outside his Jeep Station Wagon with a speaker and recording device."
c1ea300b.jpg

"A photo of Olga Wilbur planting an evergreen tree at her home, 740 Durango Drive, in Toledo, Ohio. A Willys-Overland All-Steel Body Station Wagon is sitting in the driveway."
1ae1535b.jpg

"A photo depicting the assembly line stage where the body of the All-Steel Body Jeep Station Wagon is spray painted at the Willys-Overland Company in Toledo, Ohio."
1a0bb3eb.jpg

1a0b752b.jpg

1a0b78db.jpg

"A photograph showing two station wagon bodies just coming out of the huge drying ovens where their paint has been baked on. The photo was taken at the paint shop of the Willys-Overland Company in Toledo, Ohio."
1a0b9d7b.jpg

"A photograph of four women working at the assembly line at Willys-Overland installing the wiring and trim lines of an All-Steel Body Station Wagon. The factory was located in Toledo, Ohio."
1a0bd7ab.jpg

"A photo showing a body drop at the Willys-Overland Company in Toledo, Ohio, as employees are in the process of bolding the body to the chassis."
1a0aff0b.jpg

"A photo of Willys-Overland employees bolting the car's body to the frame. They are using home-made roller chairs made out of rejected Jeep cushions and castors. The factory was located in Toledo, Ohio."
1a0b823b.jpg

1a0b0e3b.jpg

"A photo of an employee working on an assembly line at the Willys-Overland Company in Toledo, Ohio."
1a0b409b.jpg

"A photo of an employee inspecting a delivery of rear axles at the Willys-Overland Company in Toledo, Ohio."
1a0b518b.jpg

"A photo showing stacks of tires at the Willys-Overland Company in Toledo, Ohio."
1a0b49db.jpg

"A photo of a drum major shaking hands with an official, flanked by majorettes in the Warehouse District of Toledo, Ohio."
1ae1db7b.jpg

1ae1d1eb.jpg

"A photo of the staffed Engineering Department in the Drafting Room of the Willys-Overland Company. This area was in the Administration Building of the company in Toledo, Ohio."
1a0b68eb.jpg

All photos courtesy of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library, obtained from http:///images2.toledolibrary.org/.

Last edited:
"An adversing photo of a Jeepster taken with models. The attached caption reads as follows. Meet the Jeepster. Willys-Overland's new sports phaeton, the Jeepster, is a smooth-riding, glamorous descendant of its rugged forbear, the Jeep. Designed as a sun car built for fun, the newly unveiled sports car is one of the first full-sized light cars to reach the market. Weighing only 2500 pounds, it offers fuel economy up to 29 miles per gallon of gas, has independent front-wheel suspension, soft rear springing, and excellent roadability because of its low center of gravity. Its continental styling is finished in two colors, brilliant yellow with contrasting black trim, or in fire wagon red."
c1ea823b.jpg

"A photo of a Jeepster with models taken at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The attached caption reads as follows. Meet the Jeepster. Willys-Overland's new sports phaeton, the Jeepster, is a smooth-riding, glamorous descendant of its rugged forbear, the Jeep. Designed as a sun car built for fun, the newly unviled sports car is one of the first full-sized light cars to reach market. Weighing only 2500 pounds, it offers fuel economy up to 29 miles per gallon of gas, has independent front-wheel suspension, soft rear springing, and excellent roadability because of its low center of gravity. Its continental styling is finished in two colors, brilliant yellow with contrasting black trim, or fire wagon red."
c1eabc0b.jpg

"An advertising photo of a Jeepster taken at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The attached caption is as follows. Meet the Jepster. Willys-Overland's new sports phaeton, the Jeepster, is a smooth-riding, glamorous descendant of its rugged forbear, the Jeep. Designed as a sun car built for fun, the newly unveiled sports car is one of the first full-sized light cars to reach the market. Weighing only 2500 pounds, it offers fuel economy up to 29 miles per gallon of gas, has independent front-wheel suspension, soft rear springing, and excellent roadability because of its low center of gravity. Its continental styling is finished in two colors, brilliant yellow with contrasting black trim, or in fire wagon red."
c1eac32b.jpg

"A photo of James D. Mooney and Laurel C. Worman with a Jeepster, taken at the Commodore Perry Hotel during a promotional event."
1a09fbbb.jpg

"A photo of a Jeepster being lowered by pulleys into the mezzanine level of the Commodore Perry Hotel in Toledo, at 505 Jefferson Avenue, for a promotional event."
1a09ff4b.jpg

"A photograph of a crated Jeep on a scale at Willys-Overland Motors, Inc., in Toledo, Ohio."
Jeep_2008-7-3_crate_5001.jpg

Jeep_2008-7-1_crate_7001.jpg

Jeep_2008-7-4_crate_4001.jpg

"A photo showing a side view of a Willys-Overland 6x6 1 ton military truck, taken at Fort Bragg, North Carolina."
c17d969b.jpg

All photos courtesy of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library, obtained from http:///images2.toledolibrary.org/.

Last edited:
"A photo of a Willys-Overland station wagon with a model posed by it, outside of some dormitories."
c1e8309b.jpg

c1e828eb.jpg

c1e8214b.jpg

"A project of the Toledo Area Chamber of Commerce, a woman exits a Jeep All-Steel Body Station Wagon, part of the Toledo Area Chamber of Commerce's Hi-Neighbor Caravan, at a stop in Bryan, Ohio."
Z0002271.jpg

"A photo of a Jeep truck equipped with a chemical sprayer in Palm Springs, California."
c17bec7b.jpg

c17ca52b.jpg

c1e812bb.jpg

c1d4788b.jpg

c17c3beb.jpg

c1d4394b.jpg

c1d4cccb.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some Willys brochures off eBay and thought you all hot like to see them too. This one is from July 1, 1947:
01287E36-679D-4EEC-A3FD-93447D804B13.jpg8540ADF3-3216-4684-9EDD-3F4CB2D5447A.jpg225018D3-9C83-4D75-A72B-BAAB119E10FC.jpg7A0C1A82-8B5E-46BC-A61C-CB8940144DCF.jpg427BB0C9-1A47-4FBF-A356-447D886E1A47.jpg

I didn’t know the early 2wd could be optioned with a 6.17 rear axle.
9F7DE7B7-B826-4CA2-BCD8-B79328657B2E.jpg34E77926-B7AA-436D-B19B-866D2AEE7EC5.jpg333711C4-00A0-4F9F-A558-D3166D53B95C.jpg9AA9A683-72A3-4C1B-8824-84A61F36205D.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I think I saw my Grandpa in one of those factory pictures! Well. not really. He worked in the Tool Crib. Neat pictures. My Grandpa and two other neighbors would drive all the way from Michigan to Toledo in a Willys Wagon every day to work at Willys. LOL, it was probably no more than 15 miles. I was in the plant on a tour a couple of time sometime in the 80's. I wish I could have taken pictures but, they wouldn't let us.

I think this photo is in front of the old Willys Overland building. It was probably promoting the glass bottles from the Glass City. Most likely LOF (Libby Owens Ford)
JeeponBottle by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Last edited:
I can't take credit for the photo. It was posted up eailer in the thread. I am just making assumtions that it had as much to do with the glass industry in Toledo as it did the Jeep. Cool photograph nonetheless!

From eBay (none mine):
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg
Idaho Springs, Colorado:
s-l1600.jpg
ADI Water Truck:
s-l1600.jpg
Wort Hotel, Jackson, WY:
s-l1600.jpg
This one looks a lot like it could have been taken in my hometown of Eureka, California:
s-l1600.jpg
Note the rare Kaiser chrome bird (cormorant?) emblems on the side - only available in 1958 I think.

Back