Vintage Willys pictures

If only hotels were built like that still. The boxes we have today are just not as cool. Plus the signs of yesteryear were fantastic. Now, it is just blah.

57cf1f8f4566748ea68bf047bcd616ef.jpg

Agree on the signs. When I go to Chippewa Falls I stay here. Marsh Miller lake 014.jpg To bad the rest of the motel is not as photographic.

Yet even more from the Milwaukee Museum of Art's collection of Brooks Stevens:

Early (1946) sketch of a Jeepster:
BSA_0599.jpg

Production version (or close) in 1948:
BSA_0986.jpg

This series looks like it could be called: "How to get a Jeepster into a narrow building in just a few easy steps."
BSA_1335.jpg

BSA_1334.jpg

BSA_1333.jpg

BSA_1339.jpg

BSA_1338.jpg

Success!
BSA_1340.jpg

BSA_1332.jpg

BSA_1331.jpg

Last edited:
Yet even more from the Milwaukee Museum of Art's collection of Brooks Stevens:

Early (1946) sketch of a Jeepster:
BSA_0599.jpg

Production version (or close) in 1948:
BSA_0986.jpg

This series looks like it could be called: "How to get a Jeepster into a narrow building in just a few easy steps."
BSA_1335.jpg

BSA_1334.jpg

BSA_1333.jpg

BSA_1339.jpg

BSA_1338.jpg

Success!
BSA_1340.jpg

BSA_1332.jpg

BSA_1331.jpg
Car in a museum or frat prank? The viewers will decide!

Transcribed for the forum:

Upstairs frat house:

".......Bill have you seen my keys?....."

"......Yeah in the common room...."

"Thanks man, I am late for class!....."

Footsteps hurridly down the stairs.

"....What the hell?!.... BILL!!!!!....."

Scene closes.

Gold mine. There is a site (www.stationwagonforum.com) that has a slew of great old pictures as well as links to more sources of Willys pictures:

Norwich, VT:
norwich21-630x420.jpg

Fonda's, VT:
OldTrack_PossiblyFOndaorRutlandFair_DOdy.jpg

Sherman Oaks, CA circa 1952:
Ventura_and_Woodman_1952.jpg

(http://waterandpower.org/museum/Early_Views_of_the_San_Fernando_Valley_Page_4.html)

Pacific Beach, CA circa 1960:
PhotoSanDiego034.jpg

Modified CJ:

1949 Station Sedan
49JeepWillys.jpg

1953 wagon
53WillysOverland.jpg

Amaral+AVA03.jpg

More from LADWP's archives:

(1952) View showing a lifeguard jeep and rescue boat at Santa Monica Beach. Caption reads: “Rescue jeep's newest radio equipment to talk to (1) radio equipped lifeguard power rescue boat on emergency call and (2) lifeguard headquarters station (extreme right end of pier). Santa Monica is the only guard station on the coast with its own frequency, assigned by the Federal Communication Commission".
Santa_Monica_lifeguards_1952.jpg

Santa Monica lifeguards, 9 June 1952. Lieutenant Frank McMahon.; Caption slip reads: "Photographer: Gaze. Date: 1952-06-09. Assignment: S.M. lifeguards. 36: Santa Monica lifeguard Lieut. Frank McMahon uses rescue jeep's newest radio equipment to talk to (1) radio equipped lifeguard power rescue boat on emergency call and (2) lifeguard headquarters station (extreme right end of pier). Santa monica is the only guard station on the coast with its own frequency, assigned by the Federal Communication Commission".
Santa_Monica_lifeguards_1952(1).jpg

1943 Photo of The Hollywood Bond Calvacade parading down the street. A long line of jeeps carries a multitude of stars who wave and smile at the crowds.
Holly_bond.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some enlarged versions of the two Santa Monica pictures:
Santa_Monica_lifeguards_1952(1).jpgWillys truck Santa_Monica_lifeguards_1952.jpg

Source: USC library

Attachments

• Willys truck Santa_Monica_lifeguards_1952.jpg
    Willys truck Santa_Monica_lifeguards_1952.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Santa_Monica_lifeguards_1952(1).jpg
    Santa_Monica_lifeguards_1952(1).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Here are a few more from stationwagonforum.com (click on the pictures to enlarge):
Willys from stationwagonforum (6).jpgWillys from stationwagonforum (5).jpgWillys from stationwagonforum (8).jpgWillys from stationwagonforum (9).jpgWillys from stationwagonforum (7).jpg
I think some of these are screen shots from TV/movies.

Last edited:
eWillys Dave posted some great images of a 1957 Jeep vehicles for heavy construction sales brochure he found listed on eBay. I just turned up some free software (prospectiveimagecorrection) that corrects the aspect ratio. Check these out. They'd make attractive garage wall art:
Cover.jpgCost Economy.jpgHighways.jpgIt Isn't a Jeep Unless It's a Willys (1).jpgDams.jpgCover 2.jpg

Last edited:
Arcure Motors was a Studebaker dealership in Ann Arbor, Michigan (photos from oldnews.aadl.org from Ann Arbor News, August 7, 1954):
1594352791662.png
"The new Studebaker franchise in Ann Arbor is held by Arcure Motors at 617 Detroit St. The firm, owned by Steve Arcure, is located at the intersection of seven streets and will eventually expand into an addition to be built on the lower level at right. Dean J. Gilbert is Arcure's senior salesman. Arcure has been the Willys dealer in Ann Arbor since 1941 and will continue to sell jeeps and trucks in the Willys commercial line."

N017_0690_001.jpg

N017_0690_002.jpg

Too bad the Studebaker line was about to die then. Hope they focused on Jeeps and something else too. Studebakers were good vehicles. They just couldn't keep up with the Big 3.

diggerG

Here's a video of a Willys truck and deer hunting in the 1950s (c/o the Facebook group "Willys trucks"):

The youtube poster's description: "Old Deer Hunting footage of my grandpa's Willys Truck in Eastern and Western Washington, Mid-late 1950's. Who needs roads when you have a Willys?"

Cool footage and canopy on the truck.

Back