Vintage Willys pictures

s-l1600.jpg

Check this out (with due credit to Dave at eWillys.com for continuously unearthing and sharing cool stuff):

From http://www.ewillys.com/2014/01/31/video-of-the-swedish-fc-150am-in-action/
An M-679 FC van appears in the background about 2 minutes in.

Last edited:
An M-679 FC van appears in the background about 2 minutes in.

Just my opinion but, if they’d built that van for distribution in the states, it would be as big as the VW buses. It looks very cool to me.
And, since the video had no sound, all of the people standing around talking about the new product sound just like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets in my head...
Thanks,
David

That prototype totally gives me the impression of what the front of a Jeep motorhome would have looked like!:)

From Facebook, here is a wagon in Bradford, Pennsylvania in the 1960s:

28059127_1786637434688697_8333147357540439099_n.jpg

Didn't notice the condition of the Shea's theater in the background the first time I looked at this pic, just focused on the wagon... Looks like the upper floor wall and roof caved, taking out some of the marquee below...

That second to last pic totally reminds me of my Uncle. He had a decent size tract of land in a far suburb of Cleveland so he grew trees, shrubs, evergreens and perenial plants. I remember as a kid people stopping by to walk the property, pick out what they wanted and Uncle would dig them up and burlap ball them.

After seeing that picture, now I wonder how many times he loaded a Willys wagon with shrubs and trees!:confused:

The image and caption in Dan's post above is likely from a Willys News dealer newsletter. I was checking out the Forward Forum about a week before Christmas a few years ago, and found this same image and caption, along with a short associated article. I was curious as to whether GA Martin and Sons was still in operation, and managed to turn up the Web site of Mount Zion Nursery, which was once known as GA Martin and Sons.

The result was this e-mail exchange:

To: Mount Zion Nursery
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 6:22 AM
Subject: An Old Article on GA Martin's Jeep Forward Control Delivery Truck

Season's Greetings!
A short article in an old Jeep sales publication about a truck that Gilbert Martin used to haul Christmas trees sometime back in the late 1950s to early '60s is posted at http://thefcconnection.com/forward_...ole_in_prosperous_christmas_tree_business.htm

I suspect that Gilbert is the gentleman standing at the far right.

These trucks (I own one) have a top speed of about 45 mph on flat level terrain. The delivery and return run to Philadelphia described in the article must have been a journey of epic proportions!

Enjoy!

Joe B
Sandston, VA

----- Original Message -----
To: Joe B
Cc: K Martin
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 9:28 AM
Subject: Jeep Article

Mr. B,

My Daughter forwarded me your email. Gilbert is my Grandfather and of course her Great Grandfather and you are right that is him on the right and Mr. Barrick on the left. I remember the truck well. It was well used into the late 60’s. As with many of my own early vehicles I wish we had held on to it.
Thank you

B Martin

To: B Martin
Cc: K Martin
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 7:33 PM
Subject: Re: Jeep Article

You're very welcome.Merry Christmas B and K!

Now I'm off to check the water level in my Christmas tree's stand...

Joe

Gilbert Martin truly was a pioneer in the US Christmas tree business:
http://mtzionnursery.com/?page_id=79

Last edited:
At first I was thinking, what is that, some sort of exotic prototype? Then way in the back a Wagon appeared. Very cool picture, the horns are almost bigger than the car.

An anonymous Willys person bought this 1955 "Willys story" and sent it to Dave at ewillys.com to share for free. There are a ton of pictures in it. Here are a few for starters:

willys-story-cover-page1-lores.jpg

willys-story-cover-page12-lores.jpg

1955 The Willys story 23.jpg1955 The Willys story 27.jpg1955 The Willys story 27 (a).jpg1955 The Willys story 21.jpg1955 The Willys story 21 (2).jpg

willys-story-cover-page17-lores.jpg

And also on ewillys.com, here's an ad for a 1953 2wd Ambulance:

1953-2x4-willys-ambulance-brochure.jpg

Back