OWFVintage11

Thread: 1962 Willys PU Serial Number Problem

1962 Willys PU Serial Number Problem

Hi All, Trying to help another enthusiast. He is involved with a 1962 Willys Pickup with the Tornado 230 engine. His S / N Tag reads 55278 110XX (I left off last two) and his title reads 552630110XX. Now even if we take the 0 out of the middle we still have a change in the nomenclature Model Number. I noticed that the 1961 Norton Young List shows a '61 PU as 55268 so maybe they misread the 8 as a 3. At any rate he is having problems at his DMV. Was there a Model Number change when they went to the 230 engine in 1962? Anybody have a 1962 with the 230 to compare. Anyone know the source for 1962 serial numbers and production numbers for the 230 version? My email is glenns@tdstelme.net in order to talk more privately. Thanks, Glennstin

Re: 1962 Willys PU Serial Number Problem

Hi Glenn,

I have a reference book called "The Standard Catalog of 4X4's" by Robert Ackerson that indicates the 230 engine was introduced to the Pickup in 1963 and the serial numbers started at 55278-10003. This would agree with what is on the S/N Tag.

His serial number is low in the series so the truck could have been purchased in the Fall of '62 when the new models came out and mistakenly registered as a '62.

The fourth digit 7 indicates an OHC 230 engine. The L226, which they were still making, would have a 6 as a fourth digit and a much higher number for the final 5 digits.

I agree that the title numbers are wrong as you surmise. The 3 should be an 8 and the first 0 taken out.

The book doesn't give production numbers after 1955.

Brian
    1947 2WD Pickup (early model)
    1960 Wagon (sold it a few years ago)

Thanks Brian47, I love to chase Willys S / N and production numbers, but couldn't seem to do much with this one. I have a Parts and Accessory Bulletin D-98 dated June 7, 1962 titled Corrections and Additions To The Tornado OHC Engine Preliminary Parts List. The regular Preliminary Parts List must have been dated earlier than that. Exactly when vehicle production started with the 230 I don't know yet but you say most PU's with the 230 were titled as 1963. This truck in question, the new owner shows it as a '62 1/2 model with the Dump-O-Matic option, and like you say was probably produced late '62 a little over a thousand units into the run. If we can find other early OHC 230 owners and a little more documentation, maybe he can get his title straightened out. Do you know if the S / N is stamped on the frame rail as on some other Willys products? We have had some success by having a VIN Inspection done right at DMV offices and if the new owner can show the inspector the same S / N in two places it might work. It did for my Phoenix buddy on his Mass Titled DJ3A Surrey. This is a real nice, scarce Willys PU. Several of us were watching the sale and hope the deal doesn't get scrambled by a typo on the previous title. Glennstin

Can't help you on the locations of the serial number on this year/model but there are several Forum members with vehicles of this vintage so you'll probably hear more.
    1947 2WD Pickup (early model)
    1960 Wagon (sold it a few years ago)

mine is titled as a 63,but according the books i have, it was made in 62 the number is 55278 111xx. i have heard the ones that didn't sell were retitled the next year. one thing i have noticed the later station wagons had a number on frame rail near right front tire. i'v never found frame number on pickups

First Name
    Jim
    Model
    Pickup

My aunt was a Willys dealer my dad was the mechanic there. I know he told me that what the dealer would do is send the S/N plates of the lot cars back to the factory and get new ones listing the vehicle as the new year. Then he would put them on. Studebaker did this too.