May 19, 2011
west suburbs of Chicago
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
So I'm sitting here day dreaming of next summer when I've got the seats redone and I can start driving the Wagon to work. Ah, but I need tires. I've got a set of 16 x 6" rims on the way from Harry Sheets (Midwest Willys) so I'm shopping for tires, looking to buy next spring.

My CJ-3B has stock 16x4.5" rims. I put STA Super Traxion 6.50 x 16" on it and they look and work great.
It's not a daily or even weekly driver so the ride isn't critical
But
The Wagon will be driven much more and I want a better ride than bias ply tires will give. So the Super Traxions are out for the Wagon.
Buying 6" wide rims gives me many choices in radial tires for the Wagon.
I've put pictures and some costs on my web site to show what I've found so far.
http://home.comcast.net/~jrburch_h/jeep ... wagon.html
Scroll down past the first 4 pics of the Wagon and you'll see what's up.

I would really like a very aggressive tread for looks, put I need to be more practical about ride, noise and cost, so I'll probably have to go with a much more "street" tread.

If any of you can offer some more ideas, please chime in. I don't need 50,000 mile tread life. I won't be doing rock crawling. I won't be plowing snow. It'll be a pavement queen with some occasional, mild off-roading.

I'd love to find a good tire for $100 or less but so far I can't break that barrier.
What have you tried that fits my bill?

I just bought a set of Goodyear Wranglers @ Walmart for $85 each. Don't know if you would like that look but I could'nt touch anything else for that price.

John--I have just one question. Do you deliver? lol. Great looking wagon! Once I finish my truck (if I do) I love to find a wagon, mid west if possible to work on next. These Jersey Willys are a bit rusty, but none the less its a fun project. Wish I could ad a bit of info. here on tires, but can't help ya. My knowledge of tires stops beyond, there round, hold air & cost money. Great post, cause I'll be able to apply this to my truck when the time comes for tires.

Just bought a set of Kumho Road Venture AT from tirebuyer direct, online.
Delivered in 2 days.
Wanted them for there rating in the snow/ice where I love to drive through and they are great in the sand too.

So I just bought new tires n such for my project truck.... literally this week (non standard size of 33x10.5x15) and when I told my boy (who this truck is being built "for"- seriously I mean I will break it in.... but thats "it") that I'd spent the better part of a grand on TIRES he told me "Thats highway robbery, and the worst part is- if you can't afford the tires, you can't even make it to the highway to get robbed..."
He's 9..... and every inch my boy..... I see some rough times ahead :D

To go back to your post... the goodyear's mentioned earlier or I have always had good luck with bf goodrich from a Sam's club (which is where my 33s are coming from) and BF makes a Traction T/A in ALOT of different sizes...

p.s. tried editing before with a couple links to the BF site for those tires I was talking about... and remembered the Mud Terrain- nice aggressive tread....
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-sel ... a-ko-tires
or
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-sel ... -km2-tires

So what size and what rims is everyone running? Needing ideas and possibilitys. I have both a factory set and a set of wagon wheels. Just looking for Ideas.

Jeff

Back