my 63 wagon build

willys4ever

Sharpest Tool
Dec 7, 2010
everson pennsylvania
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Just thought i would start a thread on my 63 wagon,I bought it in southern california last september it was in a accident in the late 70s and parked .I found it on craigs list and had a buddy pick it up for me when he was working out there.The front axle was trashed as was the transmssion and transfer case. There is a lot more pictures posted on cardomaine under marvins 63 willys wagon build.There is also a picture posted of me in 1962 helping my dad in his shop changing a motor in a 58 willys truck.I have been playing with willys all my life pictures of my wagon build taken in the same shop as when i was a kid. will post some pictures of frame when i get it back from sand blasters. I have an isuzu rodeo rear end with disc brakes I am gonna put in the rear,it is a dana 44 hd 4.10 gears and i have a mercedes om 617 diesel for power. and a toyota 5 speed transmission and transfer case.this vehicle was totally rust free.I am using kbs coatings on the floor on both sides and als liner on the inside. we shot the roof on friday and not 100 % sure i like it although it is near perfect.gonna spray the bottom with inferno orange from a 2011 camaro. well we shot some orange around the uppr jambs, the roof color sucks !!!!!!!! so gonna re do the roof.will shoot some pict tomorro. till next time MArv.

Good looking project! Looking forward to seeing how it looks with camaro orange and cream.

Hey Marv,

Good to see that you figured out how to post pic's. I can't wait to see this color combination on your wagon. Sounds wild and it definately won't get lost it in the crowd. How is the engine and trans adapting coming along? :cheers:

Steve

Congrats on your project "look'en so fine"...keep plugging away at it. More pictures are really nice when they are orange and creme. In your pic's, it appears you have some doors for the rear....that's the tickect.
Good Luck fellow Willys Nut!

well i got some more done at last i finished up the frame and rolled it under today,time is running out as i have another date with the surgeon for dec 5 .I got my dana 44 Four link rear installed on my toyota 4 runner frame and also have it set up with a dana 44 in the front. Want to bolt it down tomorrow and get ready to get my Benz diesel in here are some new pictures of the latest.

Attachments

• DSCN2187.jpg
    DSCN2187.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCN2188.jpg
    DSCN2188.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCN2189.jpg
    DSCN2189.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN2191.jpg
    DSCN2191.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN2194.jpg
    DSCN2194.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCN2195.jpg
    DSCN2195.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 309
Changes that i have decided to make !!!

well I am back at it a little !! after a few months of looking at this project i couldnt take it any more with some help we removed the body from the toyota frame and went back to the original frame ,I installed scout 2 leaf springs, and the dana 44s added a cross member in the rear to attach the shocks,extended the front frame horns and sandblasted the frame and used K B S coatings and painted the frame.I ran new brake lines,hoses replaced rear wheel cylinders put new rear brake cables on and set the body back on the frame all in the last week. I am gonna let the older pictures posted so everyone can see the difference on how it looks on the different frames. the only difference is i put a 2 inch body lift in it so it would be a litter more off the frame in order to keep it cleaned off. you decide for yourself what looks better, i go for the original chassis. if anyone wants to do something similar i have all the part numbers written down like brake cables and hoses ets,I added a plate to attach the cables to and am going to use a pull type e brake handle from a toyota or something. gonna finish the front brakes over the weekend and start settting the motor in. still thinking about the benz diesel. If i dont use it for the willys i am gonna put it in my commando project. along with the isuzu rear axle with disc brakes

Attachments

• DSCN2256.jpg
    DSCN2256.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN2255.jpg
    DSCN2255.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN2254.jpg
    DSCN2254.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN2253.jpg
    DSCN2253.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 221
One year into your Wagon and I see lot of progress...excellent workmanship too. What cables did you use for the rear emergency brake and the collector? A very more pic's would help me copy your set-up...
Thanks for posting....

Hey Marv, I'm glad to learn that you're healed up and back at it. Your Willys looks good on the original frame. :thumbup: The 2 inch lift gives it more character. Just like icing on a cake. I think Willys frames work best under a Willys anyway........ They work well, are very tuff and made to flex just enough for the suspension to work properly and give the best traction. I figure that the center front mount was done that way for a reason. I've been around Willys all my life and I've never seen a cracked frame in these parts, only frames that are patched from rust so it must take some serious off roading to crack one. A little bit of boxing in the motor mount area will be just fine unless you're building a rock crawler. I like your build and can't wait to see what you'll do next with it. Maybe someday I'll come and see it in person. Good luck and keep up the nice work. What for 2 inch lift did you use? I need to find a lift for mine but haven't found one with the correct size center hole to keep the body from shifting. Tom

Hey Marvin

I think you really made my day. You got rid of that Toyota frame. To me a Willys is from Ohio in the greater USA not from Aichi Japan where Toyota is from. Doesnt it feel better too keeping it made in the USA too? Thank you for swapping those parts out. Someone in America thanks you too. :D

MikeC

i used rear cables from a 1976 Ford f150 wagner # BC101864 or bendix #C1171 or Raybestos # BC92847 as far as the collector i buy various brackets from paul hortons welders series out of canada,that particular bracket is 1/8 thick and is used for a turbo 350 TRANSMISSION bracket he sells I welded the slotted holes shut and made the cables fit very tight you have to use vise grips to lock them in. I have an assortment of his brackets laying around. I usually take other patterns to school and my machine shop buddy cuts them out on the C N C machine. < AS FOR THE BODY LIFT ARE YOU READY FOR THIS I HAVE BEEN IN THE MOWER BUSINESS AS A SIDE LINE USED TO BE FULL TIME GOT SICK OF PEOPLE AND THERE EQUIPMENT TROUBLES !!! I GOT IN THE STENS CATALOG AND LOOKED FOR ROLLERS FROM A MOWER DECK THAT WAS CLOSE TO WHAT NEEDED ORDERED 7 ROLLERS 6.50 EACH DEALERS COST TOTAL $50.00 INCLUDES SHIPPING TOOK THEM TO SCHOOL MY BUDDY CUT THEM EXACTLY IN HALF HAVE ENOUGH FOR THE LIFT > NOW FOR THE POWER PLANT , Got my Benz 5 cyl started today,SOUNDS REAL GOOD, trying to decide IF I want to go diesel or set my R1 Studebaker Avanti motor in it. I have an adapter to use the studebaker motor to 700 R4 gm trans,and adapter to use the scout dana 300 transfer case. I know it would have tons of H/P and Be good on fuel, GOTTA FIGURE IT OUT SOON !!!!!!!ANY INPUT ????

WELL ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE LAST POST, ,SORRY TO SAY I SOLD MY WAGON A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO HATED TO SEE IT GO BUT LAST BACK SURGERY HAS BEEN A ROUGH ONE, NEEDED CASH WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT GOES, ANY HOW BOUGHT ANOTHER WAGON A 1953 OUT OF IDAHO, WITH EXTRA MONEY I HAD LEFT AFTER PAYING SOME BILLS OFF. IT LOOKS TO BE IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE FROM PICTURES IT IS A 4 BANGER AND IT RUNS.. SO I GUESS I WILL START OVER I FOUND IT ON EWILLYS SO WILL POST SOME PICTURES WHEN I GET IT HOME. TILL THEN MARV !!!!!!!!!!!

Marv,
I am curious as to how you plan on getting this from Idaho to Pa. Are you going to drive out and trailer it back? That is a long drive.
Dan

I am gonna get it shipped, I have a real good shipper i use all the time, if anyone needs her number it is 1-503-760-3232 Kathy Gant certified auto shippers. I have used her for years does a real good job. thanks marv.

Can you let us know how much the shipping is for reference purposes? I have seen some wagons in other parts of the country I would have liked to buy but thought the shipping would be too high.
Thanks
Dan

<<meridian idaho >>if you look on E willys page 3 unless more was posted, that is where i found it. he is trying to get it running so i can save the in op charges. It is the red primer one. as far as the price goes it is around $$1000.00 from los angeles ca to pittsburgh pa in that ball park.my buddy brought the last wagon in that i sold for $$ 750.00 he works in L a and travels back to pennsylvania a couple of times a year and usually brings me something home. best thing to do is call Kathy for a quote when you find something. any how will post pictures when i get it home.

Hey willys4ever can you get your contact at the transport company to give board members the usual 25% discount.
SHHHHH I know its not usually that much

Back