Where was your Willys today?

Bud Anderson is still alive??

Where was the parade?
He is alive and was outside waiting for us. He is 98.5 (yes we now need to use decimals). We even had Congressman Doug LaMalfa with us. Parade was off Maidu Rd in Auburn. Unseen behind us over the crest of the hill were around 10-15 civilian cars. The guy with the halftrack is a fellow OWF member.

I discovered that there is an official "Bud Anderson Fan Club". It is made up of young kids. They are the ones that organized this event. They have routine meetings with him, which of course are now zoom meetings. On June 6 he told them in very fine detail what he did sun up to sun down on June 6th 1944. He is a very pleasant and approachable guy. He is still active in the community and his book is worth a read.

He must be one of the relatively few WWII vets left alive. All the ones I knew are gone.

Was the halftrack on rubber tracks? Otherwise I would imagine steel tracks would have torn up that asphalt.

He must be one of the relatively few WWII vets left alive. All the ones I knew are gone.

Was the halftrack on rubber tracks? Otherwise I would imagine steel tracks would have torn up that asphalt.
Rubber tracks. I don't believe they used anything else on these. They are good for at most 2,500 miles. They can cruise at 45 mph and are street legal, but at something like 17,000 lbs you are grabbing gears on even the smallest of hills.

I see in your sig that you have an M38A1. Is it still original?

Rubber tracks. I don't believe they used anything else on these. They are good for at most 2,500 miles. They can cruise at 45 mph and are street legal, but at something like 17,000 lbs you are grabbing gears on even the smallest of hills.

I see in your sig that you have an M38A1. Is it still original?

Sadly no. Been heavily civilianized. No more 24v components, wrong carb, aircleaner, gennie, distributor, etc. Painted red, lots of body damage. Dad wants to make it look like a Navy Jeep attached to his old aircraft carrier. I walked thru the yard at Surplus City and fairly lusted after all the 24v electrical components. Been in transmission jail for over 2 years now. Not sure the Old Guy will live long enough to ever ride in it.

Delivered a replacement paddle for a lost one on the river.20200614_181536.jpgthen went for a little ride waiting to pick them up.20200614_184044.jpg20200614_184033.jpg20200614_183949.jpgAnd I guess you can find a willys admirer just about anywhere. 20200614_184216.jpgI also did a couple test and tune vids one 0-60 and couple of climbing the above hill but don't know how to ,sorry.

Working around the yard today, the wife and I decided to go down to the river near the Chicago Park Power House. R.G. Miles Co. used to lease the land below the power plant for a Gravel/Aggregate plant. It's been closed for 20 some years, and we used to be able to drive right up to graded piles of 1/4" pea gravel to, 1/2", 3/4", 1 1/2" and larger cobbles, and fill up our truck. A few years ago the homeless population got so bad at the river, that the Power Company that runs the Hydroelectric plant put up gates and locked everyone out. I'm working on some concrete projects around the house and decided we needed to some Exposed aggregate stepping stones, so off to the river. All the piles of graded and sized stones are now gone, but plenty is still spread around for the taking. 1592702754640.pngChicago Park Power House 009.jpgChicago Park Power House 012.jpgChicago Park Power House 007.jpgChicago Park Power House 008.jpgChicago Park Power House 010.jpgChicago Park Power House 011.jpgChicago Park Power House 014.jpg

Last edited:
Back