Where was your Willys today?

I took a trip today over to the American River side of Alta. I Started taking pictures at Casa Loma Rd where the four Redwoods sit at four corners of the Southern Pacific RxR overpass. There are rumors about who planted them and why, but no one left alive seems to know for sure.. I continued out across the RxR tracks twice and made my way out to the Euchre Bar Hiking trail, which drops down 3.5 miles to the North fork of the American river, and back up the other side to Forest Hill. I was surprised to find the bathrooms open, but since this is California, it was B.Y.O.T.P. .
https://sierranevadageotourism.org/...ar-trail/5871eb32-b1c6-49d7-9031-5c91f05c030e
Looking across the Canyon is the Forest Hill Divide. West down river is Lake Clementine, the Confluence of the North and Middle Forks of the American River, Auburn, Ca, and Folsom Lake, And finally Sacramento and the Delta. East up River is the Royal Gorge, Desolation Wilderness, The Rubicon Trail, Squaw Valley and Lake Tahoe. On the map, https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/where-was-your-willys-today.1846/post-195367 that Lookout Ranch posted, Directly below Alta the dark green canyon is where we are looking into the North Fork American river Canyon.

Picture 18 is interesting because if you look in the shadows, the left front wheel is at least a foot off the ground. Since it has coil springs up front, I have very heavy sway bars, so the articulation is limited unless I disconnect them. The road took a beating this last winter. In 29, the Sweet Peas are blooming, In picture 30 someone put up a new sign, "Welcome to Awsomeville", and in picture 31, I made it to the Sierra First Baptist Church of Alta in time for the Monday Community Lunch. This is just the 2nd week it has been going since the whole Covid-19 lock down started.

Attachments

• Ouchre Bar Willys 001.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 001.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 006.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 006.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 007.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 007.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 009.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 009.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 010.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 010.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 011.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 011.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 012.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 012.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 013.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 013.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 015.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 015.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 016.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 016.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 017.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 017.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 018.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 018.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 021.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 021.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 025.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 025.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 027.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 027.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 029.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 029.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 030.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 030.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Ouchre Bar Willys 031.jpg
    Ouchre Bar Willys 031.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I took a trip today over to the American River side of Alta. I Started taking pictures at Casa Loma Rd where the four Redwoods sit at four corners of the Southern Pacific RxR overpass. There are rumors about who planted them and why, but no one left alive seems to know for sure.. I continued out across the RxR tracks twice and made my way out to the Euchre Bar Hiking trail, which drops down 3.5 miles to the North fork of the American river, and back up the other side to Forest Hill. I was surprised to find the bathrooms open, but since this is California, it was B.Y.O.T.P. .https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x809b9892eaa25e0f:0x378ba2bfe3019706!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipP4rix1GxSM68yJzeVF_KpokVAdKuwnxfTvmWkb=w213-h160-k-no!5seuchre bar trail - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNWjmalyYuSdK-zGzcVuc6QM6SNcmqKzDALPRGb&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwikrPaqkOHpAhVEnq0KHYfFDmkQoiowCnoECBUQBg

Looking across the Canyon is the Forest Hill Divide. West down river is Lake Clementine, the Confluence of the North and Middle Forks of the American River, Auburn, Ca, and Folsom Lake, And finally Sacramento and the Delta. East up River is the Royal Gorge, Desolation Wilderness, The Rubicon Trail, Squaw Valley and Lake Tahoe. On the map, 184 that Lookout Ranch posted, Directly below Alta the dark green canyon is where we are looking into the North Fork American river Canyon.

Picture 18 is interesting because if you look in the shadows, the left front wheel is at least a foot off the ground. Since it has coil springs up front, I have very heavy sway bars, so the articulation is limited unless I disconnect them. The road took a beating this last winter. In 29, the Sweet Peas are blooming, In picture 30 someone put up a new sign, "Welcome to Awsomeville", and in picture 31, I made it to the Sierra First Baptist Church of Alta in time for the Monday Community Lunch. This is just the 2nd week it has been going since the whole Covid-19 lock down started.
Your rig looks great out there! Beautiful pics!

Last edited:
Thanks Rodney. I remember my late father, a WW2 vet,telling stories of when he was young. Going up in the mts.in that area back in the 30's with his dad and uncle, gold panning and fishing for mountain trout on camping trips. Thanks for giving me a visual to those old stories. This was all done on horseback with pack mules too!

Thanks Rodney. I remember my late father, a WW2 vet,telling stories of when he was young. Going up in the mts.in that area back in the 30's with his dad and uncle, gold panning and fishing for mountain trout on camping trips. Thanks for giving me a visual to those old stories. This was all done on horseback with pack mules too!
There was a Barber In Newcastle, right below Auburn by the name of Wild Willy who used to tell a story about the 1970 or 72 Alta train robbery. Fort Ord on the coast was shipping a train load of guns to Missouri (I think). When the train slowed for the climb from Colfax to Cape Horn, a group of men climbed on board with bolt cutters and broke into the cars. From Gold Run to Alta, they threw out cases of weapons till they found what they were looking for; cases of BAR'S. Browning Automatic Rifles. At the Casa Loma crossing they threw the BAR'S off the train and loaded them onto pack mules. According to Wild Willy they used the Euchre Bar trail to escape down to the river and up the other side to Forest Hill. No one was ever caught and the military denied it ever happened. Two years ago a friend of mine was excavating on his property between Alta and Dutch Flat when he found a wooden crate with the back hoe. Still Wrapped in Cosmoline were Springfield 30.06 rifles, Colt 45 Automatic pistols and Savage assault 12 gauge shotguns. He took one of the Springfield's and one Colt's to a local gunsmith who cleaned them and said they were good to fire. You can't tell me it never happened. And Wild Willy had to have been in on it.
Rodney

Lordy Lordy Lordy,I'd love to have some of those rifles and a pistol. My favorites!

Just a friendly reminder that this thread is "Where was your Willys today." Let's keep it focused, as much as possible. Go ahead and start a new thread or two over in the Garage section if the topics belong there.

Also, since we have a ton of new members here on OWF, this is a good time for all of us to re-read the guidelines for the forum. It's a quick read.

Thanks!

Just a friendly reminder that this thread is "Where was your Willys today." Let's keep it focused, as much as possible. Go ahead and start a new thread or two over in the Garage section if the topics belong there.

Also, since we have a ton of new members here on OWF, this is a good time for all of us to re-read the guidelines for the forum. It's a quick read.

Thanks!
No worries, I only posted the Train Robbery story because that was where MY WIllys was today!
Rodney

Good to see... It restores my faith in America and American values.... Ready for hard ball if the pitches start coming..........

Not my Willy's but a friend Papa John was mowing the lawn at the Church, brought all his lawn tools in his pick up. I've never thought to as him what year it is. It's defiantly a survivor. Still running on all its original gear. The roller marks in the house paint, and the plastic cover over the winch are a nice touch.
Papa John 003.jpgPapa John 002.jpgPapa John 004.jpgPapa John 001.jpg

This weekend, engine bay wiring harness is complete, I did the clutch and brake pedal bushings along with the “ultimate “ clutch linkage with heim joints since I was there anyway, getting closer with every part that’s no longer in the box!4EE84C72-47B9-4934-942F-E962563F2C9D.jpeg

Back