Jun 13, 2018
US
First Name
Blake
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
So i sent my '59 L6 226 out to the machine shop to be looked at as it clearly needed a value job as only two cylinders where firing and no compression in the other 4. Well, the diagnosis is not good. To keep it short i need to spend no less than $1200 on parts (bearings, pistons, valve job, magnaflux, cleaning, etc) and labor which doesn't include my time putting it back together. My other concern is that the cab is in really rough shape. Doors and floor are shot. I probably need to find another one without so much rust. I basically need to do a full restore from the frame up. I'm thinking of bagging the whole thing and then sell off the parts as is. Or do I keep moving ahead and put thousands of $ into it. Looking for what you would do? I'm on the fence and its keeping me up at night tying to decide what to do. If I complete the motor rebuild, what do you think it is worth if i sold it as a stand alone? Which would mean i would stop moving ahead with the restore? I appreciate any feed back you may have. Thank you!

Why not just find another used runner drop it in and enjoy the truck while you tinker away at the rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you decide to sell it, don't put any more money into it; no one will give you full value on a rebuilt engine.

It's a good time to sell a vintage vehicle.

You're probably looking at close to $1200 to rebuild any engine you get unless it was already rebuilt by someone else in the recent past. It's rare to find one of these that is ready to go the distance without some work.

The cab cab replacement is the biggest challenge. Guys hang onto those, and good clean ones are few and far between.

Dont know what part of the country you live in ..??

i would rebuild the engine then part out and scrap what is left keeping good or hard to find parts... then find another whole 54-59 truck in far better reworkable shape then drop your motor in it and drive it and work on the rest or ....vice versa ...fix what needs fixing while everything is apart then when down to cosmetics drop motor in and drive it....
there are good solid reworkable donor trucks out there to be had .....how far are you willing to go to get one ......at what price..?? what is your time worth..??
Ideally ..you want to look at vehicles here in the dry southwest region CA AZ NM NV lower parts of CO and WY ......any thing in the midwest is questionable everything in the east coast is nothing but rusted out hulks ..not worth time looking at. yes it may cost bit more out west but you are ahead of game in the long run.

Larry

I echo Larry's statements. I will never buy anything but western state vehicles. I was born and raised in NJ and lived there for 38 years. I was an ASE certified mechanic for almost 20 years working on rusted out cars and trucks. Now living in Northern Az for the past 13 years it is a joy not to break out the torch to loosen up frozen bolts. You might spend a little more money, but you will be way ahead of the game in the end.

Dave

bmcgrath, After reading your posts I see you are eager and learning fast. If your project is too much for you to handle it is best to advertise it for what it is and sell it. Don't be too quick to send any Willys parts off to the scrap yard thinking no one can use it or want it. You mentioned the floors and doors are rusty, how is the rest of the truck? We all would like to see your photos. And which state are you in?

Back