Jun 27, 2018
Ontario
First Name
Yellow
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
After two days of knuckle busting I finally got the Ross steering box out. Unfortunately I had to cut the sector shaft to do so. I need to get the pitman arm that has the splined and threaded portion seized into it to a shop so a hydraulic press can push it out. Question: How do you experts suggest removing the pitman arm? Can I disconnect it at the hub (four bolts but I dont know what will happen inside the hub) or do I grind down the end of the shaft where the kit goes in to apply pressure to the ball on the pitman arm? I cant seem to post pics.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I have the same setup. The end of the rod is rusted. I dont think any part of this truck ever saw any lub. Will wire brush the end of the rod to see if their is a cap and cotter pin.

After using every flippin tool at the house, the drag link is removed. All the internal parts are out and the drag link is at a machine shop to get the portion of the sector shaft pressed out. There are what appears to be threads on the inside. Do the internal rebuild kits that keep the ball in place require them?They are in extremely bad shape.

It wouldnt have helped due to the condition. Will put one in my tool box...for the next time, which I hope never comes! Thanks.

The inside threads are important. You may need a replacement. Usually thet come off with not too much effort, and a torch for heat.
diggerG

Thought I might need a replacement. Cant find one.

For general shits and giggles, it took 15 tons of pressure to remove the piece of sector shaft.

Yellow
I'm a bit confused. What part do you call the sector shaft? Is it the steering arm bolted to the bottom of the steering knuckle? The drag link is the rod that is about 30" long and has the 2 ball end sockets, and the pitman arm is the one off the steering box with the splines. and if you need I have.
diggerG

Sector shaft comes out of the ross steering box. Sector shaft goes into pitman arm. Pitman arms ball end goes into drag link. I have the ordered the rebuild kit that goes into the drag link and keeps tension on the ball of the pitman arm. The problem is the internal threads at the aft end of the drag link ( they secure the drag link rebuild kit) are damaged. I may need a drag link. Wish I could post a pic. Lesson learned...never ask a family member to take out the garbage...some parts that were soaking in a bag are now in the landfill.

So you cut enough off the pitman arm to get it through the frame hole? Wow! I thought you were not id'ing parts correctly. Couldn't figure it out.
diggerG

I think Yellow cut the sector shaft off to remove the box from the frame and left the splined stub in the pitman arm. What he was left with was the pitman arm with stub and drag link with the front pivot that is also the lower trunion bearing cap. He then managed to unscrew the threaded plugs that hold the drag link on the pivots, but now the internal treads on the drag link are damaged too much to use. Once everything was disassembled, he had the sector stub pressed out of the pitman. He now needs a new box rebuild kit with sector and a drag link. At least that's what I get after reading the thread several times.

Ok, still Wow! This is a good example of just why a set of good oxy accy torches, knowledge in how to use same and a good supply of tools is necessary. I believe that I only once failed to get a pitman arm off a steering box. I think I was in a hurry, and just cut it. I didn't need to re assemble the truck though.
Sorry Yellow, in no way are we knocking your method of disassembly. It worked.
diggerG

The pins on the sector had to worn out necessitating a new one anyway. I bet the pivot balls are flat or at least pitted and springs/seats are needed in both ends of the drag link. Might as well start with fresh parts. I would inspect/clean/pack reset the trunion bearings while I was at it since that is a major cause of death wobble. The the rods ends may need replacing too.

All good guys. Cwdtmmrs has it right. I am going to take a trip to check the donor that came with this Willys and see what steering parts are useable. I'm attacking this Willys the same way you eat an elephant....one piece at a time. Thanks.

Go for it Yellow. I'm doing a brake job on a dump truck that is growing by the hour myself.
digger

Back