D18 Transfer Case Leak

I agree, I work on air leak testers and using the tape is a no-no. It can shred off during install and get caught in the pneumatic valves. Only good for water pipes IMO.

We're not using it on the space shuttle here, just an old transfer case.

Use what ever you want. A plugged oil passage in most anything, even a transfer case can lead to bad things happening. I can assure you of one thing, thread sealant is far easier to apply than tape and it always works, it never plugs oil passages or gets into bearings. Use it or don't it is your Willys.

Fair enough, but I would be more concerned about using RTV silicone on pan gaskets, etc.

Got it back together and refilled with gear oil but didn't get a chance to run it; will have to wait for the weekend. So far it's not leaking.

I was able to drive around enough today to confirm that the serious leak has been stopped.

There is just an an occasional drip now, due to gear oil that is migrating down the joint between the transmission and transfer case. I think that may be coming from the back of shifter rails.

Good news! Are you sure it isn't from the breather vent?

Good news! Are you sure it isn't from the breather vent?

I don't think so; can't rule it out definitively at this point, but I do know the shifter rails were leaking earlier, and it was following the same pathway, so I'm assuming this is more of the same.

Sometime when I have the transmission tunnel uncovered I'll check it out more definitively. For now, im just happy to have the serious leak fixed.

Back