Aug 11, 2010
Sequim,Washington
First Name
David
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
60 Willys Station Wagon, 226 ci, 3spd. I have been beating my head against the wall, tring to solve a running warm problem.The engine was supposedly rebuilt 30K prior to my purchase and i drove it 90 miles home and it ran fine. When I restored the wagon, I replaced the instrument cluster, hoses coolant, radiator core, thermostat, belt, and coolant. The vehicle runs warm and the gauge slowly climbs up into the hot range. I removed and tested the thermostat and it opens at 160 degrees. I replaced the water pump, the vanes were fine, so I kept the old one for a spare. I installed a pusher fan that comes on at 160 degrees. I replaced the head gasket and machined the head. I finally installed an aftermarket gauge and drove it again. Freeway cruising it runs at 170 degrees. At stops it climbs to 180, and at 30 mph it runs at 180. Is this normal?

I don't know what's "normal," but if there is a problem, it's probably a lot of rusty crud built up in the coolant passages. Try taking out the heat sensor and seeing what it looks like in there. Are the passages clear and open?

Another possibility...do you know how much they bored the engine? If it's been bored to 40 or 60 thousandths over, that can make it run hotter.

My engine is .30 over. Initially I had a 180 thermostat in and I'd get some coolant boiling out. I switched to a 160 and no issues "ever" since then. That is, it runs in the middle gauge range at speed or on very hot days.

Did you or anyone ever use radiator sealant like Barrs or one of the pellet type head sealers? I used one of these on a car and had it seal my thermostat intermittantly
I added a shroud too...

Are you using 50/50 pre-mix coolant. Don't use straight 100% coolant.

Could the timing be too advanced? Are you pinging?

Is your fuel mix too lean? A little rich may be better.

When you filled the block and radiator, did it take the recommended fluid volume? Could have an air pocket.

Is your heater circuit hooked up?

Are you using the lowest grade of fuel?

What radiator cap are you using 7LB is correct.

Good luck. Jim

Last edited:
I'm running a 180 degree thermostat. This was yesterday pulling a mild but sustained grade in 100 degree weather on the freeway, ascending into the Sierra Foothills. It did fine, but I was glad the air wasn't warmer and the climb wasn't steeper. Normally the gauge runs a little over the halfway mark. I don't think a 160 degree thermostat would help it run cooler in such situations. My understanding is that the thermostat maintains a floor temp but can't really lower the ceiling.

IMG_6808.jpg

By the way, my speedometer reads about 5mph slower than actual speed. On the trip to the coast and Willys America this weekend, I passed several of those radar signs that tell you your speed relative to the posted limit, and they consistently put my speed about 5mph faster than the speedometer showed.

I have taken two extended test drives, 30 miles or so, and the gauge stays under 200 degrees. I guess i will accept that as normal until it proves me wrong. In town it runs about 180 - 190, climbing hills it gets a little warmer, and it's totally happy with downhill. I did order a shroud from Walcks and let you know if it makes a difference. Thanks for the support and tips.

Have you checked the timing recently?

My truck ran hot in the beginning. I re-tuned it and the temp dropped significantly. Was it the timing or the carb adjustment? I'm guessing both.

My timing marks are off so my "first" tuneup wasn't right.

Back