Jun 28, 2018
Colorado
First Name
William
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
IMG_0061.jpgI was just given a 1946 Willys. It has been up on a mountain ranch since it was purchased in 46. Never registered and the title they gave me is not for this jeep. it is in rough shape and I Plan to start working on it this fall. Thought I could get some help with questions here. The data plates have been removed. is there another "hidden" place that might have a Vin #.IMG_0065.jpgIMG_0062.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Nice looking CJ -2A. I have a 1947 in original shape. I see you have the PTO sticking out the back. I have used the PTO on mine for running a small pull type swather back in the early 80's. Do you have more pictures? How is the interior? The engine. The VIN was on a plate inside the hood, passenger's side on the firewall. The other plate is inside the cab and gives the shift patterns and everything.

Kevin

My dad’s 1946 CJ2A frame has a serial number tag up on the outside of the front left frame rail behind the front bumper. Here is an example:

And another:

frame_tag3.jpg

Both photos from CJ2a.com

Welcome William.
Your Jeep is neither a CJ2A or a 1946. The frame is a CJ3A and probably the rest of it is also, with the exception of the windshield. The frame front ears have no gusset plates, (see scramboleers picture) the radiator has no stabilizer bracket to the firewall and the front grille is no older than a 1948. That means about a 1949. Also why are there not 2 transfer case shift levers? All Jeeps from the 40's and 50's and beyond had 2.
The CJ3A had a vin plate on the firewall behind the air filter and a Spicer 44 rear axle (hexagonal shaped cover). The CJ2A had a vin plate on the front left frame ear, either inside or outside, also on the pass.side dashboard and a third behind the air filter. and a Spicer 41 rear axle. (round cover). Some CJ2As hav vin location variants though.
diggerG
The windshield is definately a CJ2A though. (easy to change out).

William
Also it has a replacement engine in it, the cyllinder head is WW2 MB military, before 1945 for sure. It is not a re inforced cyl head.
Looks like a neat project, I am certainly not knocking it. My guess is that someone needed numbers for a Jeep and removed yours to register another.
diggerG

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing updates of your project. You might post a build thread in the build thread section of the CJ Discussion forum, it's a great way for everyone to follow along.

Pete

William
Also it has a replacement engine in it, the cyllinder head is WW2 MB military, before 1945 for sure. It is not a re inforced cyl head.
Looks like a neat project, I am certainly not knocking it. My guess is that someone needed numbers for a Jeep and removed yours to register another.
diggerG
Thanks for the input, Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I have just started working on it this winter. I did find a ser.# in the water pump boss. It corresponded to a 47, but when I pulled the engine and cleaned it there was a remanufacture tag attached to the side with oversize info. This project is really a mut.

Back