Jun 13, 2018
US
First Name
Blake
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Need to remove bolt on front of crank. I believe it's righthand thread just want to be sure before I start to wail on it:). Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes that is correct it is normal right hand thread ........ those crank bolts are really Frucken tight....

So what i would do is to spray it with you favoritre rust busting penetrating spray..Liquid wrench, PB Blaster, Zep 45 Kroil oil..or what ever you have handy (WD40 doesnt count)

.What motor..??.. does it run..?? if so ... before you start wailing on it...

take the correct socket and long breaker bar put socket on the crank nut and put breaker bar handle on the ground on the right side ....

then ..get in and "bump" the starter ..the theory is the torque of the motor turning with the handle laying on the ground and not able to move the crank bolt should break loose ... dont ask me how i know this.....been there done that..!! ( 01 Nissan Frontier ..front crank oil seal in timing chain cover. )

if you motor does not run or is out of vehicle .... then traditional methods will have to suffice 6ft breaker bar and screwdriver thru flywheel or real good quailty impact gun should spin that bolt out with little trouble. dont have one.?. beg, bum, borrow, steal one from your boss or nieghbor.

Good luck,..!! let us know how it turns out..!!

Larry

with minimal effort

Thanks Larry for the advice. I have the motor sitting in my garage on a motor stand ready to start gutting it. The truck needs a lot so I'm going with the approach if it's not broken I'm not replacing it, otherwise I would be replacing everything. I'm however givi5it a thorough cleaning and inspection as I go. Need the bolt off to remove timing chain cover to check play. I'll let you know how I make out...I do have a impact wrench so I will try that first. Thank you again Larry.
4653d423618fd01be09e71f3c7dc6fbc.jpg

Hi Larry, impact wrench did the trick. Another question, I have the crankshaft out, all the valve tapped are out of the way for the camshaft to side out, the trust plate is off but the cam does not want slide out, even when I tap on it with a wooden dowel. Any suggestions? ?

I was finally able to remove the camshaft with a lot of pulling, twisting and tapping. Time to clean and inspect throughly before off to machine shop.
7fe5e08a76340a7618a976d217ae3acb.jpg

Back