Aug 13, 2017
Camas, Washington
First Name
Adam
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
I'm putting in a new gas tank from Kaiser. It's going on my 53 pickup. I will try and clean out the fuel lines and save them. I have a 350 small block in it now. Will the stock sending unit the tank kit comes with work for the 350? Might be a dumb question, but I still felt I should ask.

There is a fuel pick up tube and a fuel gauge sending unit in your tank. The stock pick up tube should be fine for getting fuel to the 350 as long as you are running a carburetor. The sending unit for the gauge does not care what engine is installed but does care about voltage. It is either 6v or 12v depending on the year it was built. I am assuming you are running 12v with the 350. The 53 sending unit would be a 6v unit.

My wagon was originally 6 volt, and I converted it to 12 volt. I wanted to keep the original 6 volt gauge and tank sending unit, so I tried using a "voltage reducer" in the power line to the gauge. It did not work, and I eventually replaced the gauge and the tank sending unit before I had a functioning fuel gauge. There are many different types of sending units; they have different high and low voltages that signal the gauge for when the tank is full or empty. It is important to match the gauge with the sending unit, or your gauge may read half way with a full tank, or empty when you still have fuel. If you add a new gauge to your dash panel, it will likely be much brighter than the other, older gauges when driving at night.

Back