Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
I'm still kicking around, waiting for the block to come back from the machine shop..... he says next week.....

So I've got just about everything else that attaches or goes inside all pretty and ready to go, but of course I need the block to do anything more. Been cleaning fasteners now. And twiddling my thumbs.

I notice that there were no lock washers on the screws that hold the oil pan on. Kinda seemed like I would expect to find them on there. So, I'll just ask - should they be there? It's a 134" Go-Devil 4 banger. I know, not a very exciting question.....

I prefer studs due to the advantages of them holding the gasket in place when you are working under the vehicle and bolting the pan in place. Not sure who makes a kit for your go devil but the sbc Canton kit was stainless for $12.

When I replaced my pan gasket last year I used lock washers haven't had any problems with it

Since you do not tighten oil pan bolts very tight I always use a lock washer.

x4. I am using lock washers on my oil pan as they were on there when I disassembled mine.

Thanks all, for taking the time to reply to a pretty mundane, nothing of a question. I'll put lock washers back on it. If they're in the parts book, that pretty well proves it. The truth is, it probably wouldn't really make much difference!

If I wasn't bored silly waiting and waiting on the block to come home so I could build it, I wouldn't have even asked!

Tom, I hear you on studs, when working from underneath! But I'll be building it on a stand, so I'll just turn it upside down for installing the pan anyway.

What I SHOULD be doing is pulling out the tranny and transfer case, and get started on them - and the brakes, and the wiring.... but I want to build the engine!

So I got all the mulching and weed stuff done (gotta keep the Bride happy) - and now I'm swapping out a quadrajet on the '56 Chevy wagon, see if the one I just rebuilt will act a little better than the one that was on there. Old one actually runs real nice, but goes rich and makes black smoke for a second when you get into the secondaries. Couldn't get it to quit, so I'll try the different carb.

Back