Jul 4, 2016
otisco, indiana
First Name
jim
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Having gone thru a total rebuild on my L 134 engine I replaced the crankshaft pulley with a sheet metal type and it rubbed on the dust shield portion of timing cover, (also a very tight fit going on resulting in it's destruction when removed) when I replaced it I choose to purchase the cast type (gpw) Now it appears that the length of the bore on the cast pulley is about 1/4" longer causing the crank nut to tighten up with about half the thread of the nut hanging off the end of the crankshaft thread. I could easily chuck the pulley up in my lathe and cut away the face the nut seats on allowing the the nut to thread further onto the crankshaft thread but thought I would see if anyone has run into this issue before. All the crank components are installed in the proper order and the crank has the proper end thrust when everything is installed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Jim W

crank pulley issue solved

Having gone thru a total rebuild on my L 134 engine I replaced the crankshaft pulley with a sheet metal type and it rubbed on the dust shield portion of timing cover, (also a very tight fit going on resulting in it's destruction when removed) when I replaced it I choose to purchase the cast type (gpw) Now it appears that the length of the bore on the cast pulley is about 1/4" longer causing the crank nut to tighten up with about half the thread of the nut hanging off the end of the crankshaft thread. I could easily chuck the pulley up in my lathe and cut away the face the nut seats on allowing the the nut to thread further onto the crankshaft thread but thought I would see if anyone has run into this issue before. All the crank components are installed in the proper order and the crank has the proper end thrust when everything is installed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Jim W
For those with any interest (I suppose that is no body) judging from responses, The center of the pulley were the nut seats has been machined back allowing the nut to thread on fully, it lines up with the water pump perfectly

Back