Mar 25, 2016
California
First Name
Bryson
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Is it just me or does anyone else have problems filling their trucks at the pump? I have to hold the pump above the filler and ever so gently pull the trigger to have a slow stream of fuel come out. It took me ten minutes to pour 11 gallons today. Is there a technique I’m missing out on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The filler bung on my plastic replacement tank has 3/8" thick walls... I had to use a connecting filler tube
from a Ford van to get the gas to fill quickly... The Ford tube necks down to 1" with an inner hose that
goes thru the bung into the tank....With that, the tank fills just like it should.....

Any restriction in the filler tube will cause the nozzle to click off........

Is it just me or does anyone else have problems filling their trucks at the pump? I have to hold the pump above the filler and ever so gently pull the trigger to have a slow stream of fuel come out. It took me ten minutes to pour 11 gallons today. Is there a technique I’m missing out on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear i aint the only one..!!

And No you are not missing out on any technique..!!

i have a RCI aluminum 14 gal tank that i converted to run a standard in tank fuel module ...and then had to fabricate a custom filler pipe for it using 2 inch steel pipe and a 6 inch diameter plate and a street elbow ......IMG_20180609_151828393.jpg..the problem i have is the fact that a modern vehicle has the fill tube going down at a pretty steep angle for gas to drop into the tank ..where as mine as you can see comes nearly straight across with maybe 10 degree slope to it then makes a sharp 90 into the tank ..IMG_1608.jpg....i had thought to enlarge the fill pipe to 3 inch to get more volume ...then i see the possible issue....problem is the gas is flowing near horizontally the pipe does not have enough drop to allow the fuel into the tank at a higher rate .....the force of the gas hits the 90 then backs up into the fill pipe almost instantly.....i cant put any more drop on the pipe without major modifications to the tank by cutting and rewelding a new bung down on the sidewall of tank below the fill neck ....i dont want to lower the tank any either as then it would be highly visible from rear of truck not to mention low enough to be possiblly damaged...so in order to fill my truck here is what i have to do... which i did this very afternoon before heading to car show ....tank does not have a vent on it but i have external bungs that i have caps on i reach under and pull cap off which helps some air escape ...then i have to put the tip of nozzle in fill neck and ...ever so slowly just crack the trigger maybe 1/8 pull...IMG_20180609_155509581.jpg...you can see the fuel backflow foaming in the pipe .....and there i stand for the next...15 - 20 mins dribbling 1/2 gal a min into a 14 gal tank.. hands cramping holding trigger cracked ...
have to watch fuel speed otherwise backflows onto the ground or clicks pump off ....then when it is full gas will spew out of the vent bung onto the ground which tells me tank is full and i never know how much tank will take i have to guess based on miles driven and guess at what is left in tank ( gas gauge not accurate enough to use) today i was close to my 100 mile fill point so thought it would take 12 gals ...but only took 9.5 and dumped a cup on the ground ...which i know is not good to do but i know here in AZ it will vape off in nothing flat.
good thing i only do this once a month or so ..if this was a daily driver no wayin hell would u put up with that i would fix it ...yeah i know i should have done it wheni put tank in the first time ..but did not know this problem existed till first time i tried to fill it up.

i am thinking bout going to a bigger tank 20+ gals and if i do will be adressing this issue for sure.

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20180609_151850546.jpg
    IMG_20180609_151850546.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 19
Yep, same thing with my '59 Truck. It doesn't matter how far in or out the gas nozzle is, what angle it's at, or what angle I bend the rubber filler neck, or how little or much I squeeze the trigger. When I need gas I know I'm coming home smelling like it. I keep a 2 gallon can in the bed because my gage doesn't work. I ran out of fuel for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I started pouring fuel in and laid the can against the fender so I wouldn't have to hold it. Viola!!! Not one burp, not one drop came out of the neck. When I got home I conducted an experiment. It was Sunday without a Texas game to watch, so what the hey. Got 5, 2 gallon cans together and filled them. Had a buddy time me. I forget exactly how long, but I can put 10 gallons in the tank with 5 gas cans faster than I can do it at the pump. INCREDBLE...My '62 Wagon, I have no problem filling up????

So, if you have a plastic tank with a thick walled filler bung, you can use a necked down filler with a hose going thru the bung into the tank
Or, take the tank out and taper the filler bung so there is no restriction. Then clean all the plastic shavings out of the tank..

Larry Messing could use the same method I used...Use a modern filler neck with a double hose... Run the inner hose thru
the filler all the way into the tank.... No restriction and easy filling...

I drive my pickup quite a bit and fill the tank at least once a week.

Last edited:
My '56 truck has a kinked 2" rubber hose connecting the metal neck that protrudes through the body to the metal tube that is attached to the tank. I have assumed the problem was with the kink in the hose but sounds like there's more to it than that. I, like many others, have bigger fish to fry than trying to save 5 minutes/week at the gas station but I'll mess with it sooner or later.

About 3 years ago I was vacationing in Flagstaff & saw a beautiful Willys truck at a gas station. So I stopped to talk to the owner. He was having the same issue, which allowed me to pick his brain for longer than I was expecting. Maybe the fill rate on the Willys truck was purposely designed so we would have time to educate the entire world in matters related to Willys ownership?!

On my 57', if I put the nozzle in upside down and go slow, it will fill the tank w/o clicking it off.

Back