Jun 15, 2017
bernardo nm
First Name
john
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
When I bought my 58 CJ5 the PO had installed an electric fuel pump, works OK after I got the pressure regulated. Question is the original
mechanical pump is still on the engine, just closed off with short flex lines and clamps.
The PO said the elec. pump was for high altitude use ,,, ?
Should I remove the mech. pump and put a plate on the block ? I thought of using the mech. pump and having the elec. for backup, I don't know
if the mech. pump is even good. I need to test it before I do the re-hookup.
Any suggestions on how to do that ?

Thanks, John H.

When I bought my 58 CJ5 the PO had installed an electric fuel pump, works OK after I got the pressure regulated. Question is the original
mechanical pump is still on the engine, just closed off with short flex lines and clamps.
The PO said the elec. pump was for high altitude use ,,, ?
Should I remove the mech. pump and put a plate on the block ? I thought of using the mech. pump and having the elec. for backup, I don't know
if the mech. pump is even good. I need to test it before I do the re-hookup.
Any suggestions on how to do that ?

Thanks, John H.

I had both on my wagon for a time, with the electric pump pushing through the mechanical pump to help it along when it got hot. It would still vapor lock in the mechanical pump though even with the electric pump on. I removed the mechanical pump and made a block off plate for the engine. No issues with vapor locking since.

Pete

Thanks Pete, my mech. pump is bypassed completely. I do carry a spare elec. pump for back-up. Maybe the engine plate is the way to
go then no worries about the old mech. pump failing and causing some internal engine issues, after all it might be 60 yrs. old anyway and the reason the PO bypassed it. I
think I
might pull it and check it out, maybe rebuild for future use.

Thanks for your input ! :)

John H.

Back