Mar 25, 2016
California
First Name
Bryson
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Entering in another car show today, hopefully I win my first award today.

Have any of you entered and won awards? What category?
0fcdaa270b8e8a02e4df1877e83ac812.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you will win any categorys. I believe that that snazzy red paint on the wheels will be a deal breaker for you. Haha. Have a great time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

179a6c951aa31ad117e0a8aaaae8728d.jpg

Won first in the WIP category today. Now I can say I drive an award winning truck!

Right stuff n good for you!!
What is the WIP catagory? I don't know car shows.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Work in progress is what I won. My local car show has 24 different categories and the owners get the chance to vote for their favorite cars.

Congratulations Bryson. I put Eugene, my mixed parts CJ2a in a local car show Saturday. He didn't win any awards because of all the high dollar muscle cars and street rods that were there, but I got a great reward from all the kids that loved climbing into him and having their pictures taken by happy thankful moms. If they gave an award for most photographed he would have won hands down!!:cool:20180526_125041.jpg20180526_125055.jpg

Hey Bryson

Sure..!! not so much entering as it is just showing up to show and they have random people walking round looking at things ..

We have taken the White Beast (see avatar) to both local weekend and annual car shows and somehow managed to walk away with plaque or trophy

first two awards he got were plaques...IMG_20180528_175850722.jpg...IMG_20180528_175858369.jpg.......then at a local annual car show we attended he got this

trophy ..IMG_20180528_175746587.jpg......and couple years ago we attended the 4th Annual Willys Round Up in Flagstaff AZ ..he walked away with this ...IMG_20180528_175819325.jpg..

so yes occasionally he wins something....i know couple years ago out at local weekend car show we attend regularly .. two years in a row he won a cash prize of $100..!!

Now Steve,...you mentioned having couple kids climbing all in around and over your CJ2A Jeep..??...weell..my friend Justin has got you beat ....
Tell me,.. how many soccer team members can fit in a 43...??....i dunno ..How bout this many...IMG_20180310_150023546.jpg..i count 9 kids....Look at kid in drivers seat ... that smle on his face ...Priceless..!!IMG_20180310_150017699.jpg.......IMG_20180310_150046315.jpg..

Now me on the other hand ..I only been driving my truck several months now ..i have gone to a 2-3 annual shows where they were judging things and no of course i did not win anything ...but who knows?.. maybe next show i go to some people will take a fancy to my 4 year WIP 51 truck .....IMG_20171020_111815784_HDR.jpg...and then decide it worth a prize of sorts.

Larry

Last edited:
That's a great story Larry. The most I had Saturday at one time was 6 but I didn't get a picture of them. Eugene started life as a Ford GPW in 1944 so he is titled as a 1944 Ford GPW, but along the way he got a 46 CJ2a body. I put a 48 windshield and hood along with a 47 grill on him but his bones, frame, axels, and motor are all Ford Script. The transmission and tcase are T90 and D18. All the kids made my day but one thing that happened really touched me down deep. Two old veterans came by, one was in a wheel chair and the other one was pushing his chair. The old vet got up real close to Eugene and grabbed hold of the side, I thought he was going to try and get into him, but he only wanted to hold on. I shook hands with them and thanked them for there service. The old vet in the wheel chair told me, in a very weak voice that he had driven one of these many miles and that the Jeep he drove had taken him to a lot of places he didn't want to go to but it had gotten him out of a lot of places he really wanted to get away from also. This said a lot about how important these Jeeps were to the men and women who depended on them day in and day out for there very lives. All in all it was a great day at the show!!

179a6c951aa31ad117e0a8aaaae8728d.jpg

Won first in the WIP category today. Now I can say I drive an award winning truck!

Congratulations! I remember we all had a chuckle when someone's truck won the "farm fresh" category for his mostly original unrestored Willys. Yours looks mostly all there and mostly original (without seeing what's under the hood or in the cab). If it is mostly original, I'll bet you could win some more awards if you put old stock wheels and correct tires on it.

Congratulations! I remember we all had a chuckle when someone's truck won the "farm fresh" category for his mostly original unrestored Willys. Yours looks mostly all there and mostly original (without seeing what's under the hood or in the cab). If it is mostly original, I'll bet you could win some more awards if you put old stock wheels and correct tires on it.

The only thing different under the hood is an alternator and e fuel pump. The rest is all factory. Eventually when I restore it, the truck will look like it rolled off the factory line in 54. I’ll have to figure out what to do about ethanol fuel in the og mechanical fuel pump, but I have a few ideas how to cheat at that.

I tried getting a barn find/ original unrestored category going, but for now I’ll have to settle for work in progress trophies lol.

The only thing different under the hood is an alternator and e fuel pump. The rest is all factory. Eventually when I restore it, the truck will look like it rolled off the factory line in 54. I’ll have to figure out what to do about ethanol fuel in the og mechanical fuel pump, but I have a few ideas how to cheat at that.

I tried getting a barn find/ original unrestored category going, but for now I’ll have to settle for work in progress trophies lol.

I'm the odd bird who likes the unrestored look of old vehicles that wear their history for all to see but with all the mechanical bits and wiring, etc. in good working order. But my mouth does water sometimes when I see the beautiful new paint jobs that some give their old Willys.

Great job. Any win is a win, therefore it's an award-wining truck no matter what some may think. My old 72 Chevy c20 (still have) won a first at the local college show in '81 because no other truck was entered in the pre-unleaded gas class for trucks.

You asked, so here goes. First show after registration and ins. Best of show truck and best of show. In the next 13 years the only major shows, GoodGuys and Hot August Nights, that my truck did not get an award. Others have have been dash plaques, framed photo certificates, hand made from car parts awards, 3 foot tall trophies at the race track (horse) and an envelope with $100, a 4 foot tall Cabellas employees pick and a photo on the trophy wall in the break room, and latest a BF Goodrich off road unlimited peoples choice award plaque and an envelope with $500.
i go to the shows to visit with people and share with them what they can have as a hobby. Also all of the shows put on by the people who do it as a business give half the fees to the charity sponser.
My favorite forms of recognition are the photos in 2013 and 2014 in the GoodGuys Gazette. 2017 had photos of the back in photos of other participants.

Gary

Back