Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
I visited a salvage yard a ways away that still had a bunch of the old old stuff in the back corner. I had heard about it for years but never went there. So a while ago I did. I was looking at trucks and tractors from the 1930's and even earlier, and made a deal for all the Jeeps in the yard. Here are the first 3, with some surprises.

The first surprise is how nicely setup the DRW pickup is, with a solid twin piston dump. and an OHC 4 speed with a power angle plow workings. Looked like the water pump blew the fan through the hood. Not pretty!

The second was the brand new radiator in the 226 SW still full of anti freeze. And an awesome seat re-position job, with the steering post sawzalled and a coupling stretching out the column to reach the driver, who is sitting back a few inches from the original position. (See pictures) Check this out scramboleer! didn't you stretch out a cab?

The third surprise is the 4F conversion in the CJ2A with the dentists office parts washer sink carb cover. And, the PTO on the back, missing the cover and quite rusted inside. It actually has a good frame in think, seat frames and a couple of wheels. The BIG surprise however is the oversized crank and water pump pulleys, for what I do not know. I bought this one just from seeing the nose poking out from the evergreen bushes.

There are a few more Jeeps there, 2 FC's buried deep behind big trucks and another 2A. And some other jeep "piles"

Other prizes: Farmall, Ford Ferguson, GTB, Fordson, lots of 40's mid sized trucks, and a 47 KB6 wrecker that I recognized, with my father's spare engine (The one and only) sitting in the back. WOW!!! I couldn't believe it!

More later, after I build up the cash reserves again!
diggerG

Attachments

• MVC-086S.JPG
    MVC-086S.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 186
  • MVC-087S.JPG
    MVC-087S.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 178
  • MVC-088S.JPG
    MVC-088S.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 179
  • MVC-089S.JPG
    MVC-089S.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 175
Awesome treasure!
Don
I still remember all the old salvage yards I toured going back to the 1960's and what they had in them for vehicles and equipment. All gone now, or full of boring new stuff. Can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but...
diggerG

Maybe it was Pivnic who stretched a pickup?? I bet he would love this engineering!
diggerG

Don
I still remember all the old salvage yards I toured going back to the 1960's and what they had in them for vehicles and equipment. All gone now, or full of boring new stuff. Can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but...
diggerG

Absolutely. There was a place just outside of town that was huge, few hundred acres, and it had been there since the early 1920's. It still had a couple barely recognizable Ford Model T's rotting into the ground. You entered through a huge canyon of piled up dead tires, piled up 20 feet high on either side, and then you came out into paradise! Back during high school days (late 60's early 70's), we'd grab a toolbox (which might possibly have things other than tools in it, sometimes - brewed liquid refreshments, etc) - and we'd go in there and just wander around sometimes for hours. It was like a museum, but way better, because you could climb inside, open the hoods, all that. Figure out how to tell the difference between a 55 DeSoto and a 56, or whatever vehicle you want to name from the 40s, 50s, early 60s. Wonder about if they survived this or that crash - daydream about getting this one that one and the engine from another one... those were great days! The damn EPA or whoever finally closed them down about 10 years ago. I still salute and bow my head when I pass by there.

Last edited:
Maybe it was Pivnic who stretched a pickup?? I bet he would love this engineering! diggerG

Hi Greg. Yep, I did a Cab Extension a few years ago. I Needed to get more Leg Room. Now my Willys Pickup has the room of a Cadillac! John (aka: Pivnic)

Greg, how many months will it take you to restore those to showroom condition?

More than I have, that's for sure!
My current "showroom condition" project is a Morbark wood chipper.
I might do a transplant in the pickup, I can use a farm dump. And it's got the gas tank behind the seat too. A plus to me.
others are parts only. Only the CJ has numbers, but no title of course.
diggerG

Hi Greg. Yep, I did a Cab Extension a few years ago. I Needed to get more Leg Room. Now my Willys Pickup has the room of a Cadillac! John (aka: Pivnic)

Did you check out this guy's steering box post extension? It's pictured.
diggerG

DiggerG -- still looking for that 230 radiator shroud if you come across one in your adventures.
thanks,
Greg

... those were great days! The damn EPA or whoever finally closed them down about 10 years ago. I still salute and bow my head when I pass by there.

Every town had its wrecking yard(s) where you could prowl around with a tool kit to see if the car carcasses had the parts you wanted. My first cars had many parts from those places. It wasn't so much the EPA that did them in as the liability insurance, real estate development opportunities for the land, demand for scrap metal, and the professionalization of the auto dismantling industry. The latter led organized parts inventories with computerized data bases and a national marketplace for parts.

It used to be that a wrecking yard was a good way to get a return on "bare land" until development found its way to your doorstep and it could be sold for the next new suburban shopping mall.

Last edited:
Digger,

I could be interested in the whole 2a if you were interested in parting with your new find. If you were could I get some general pictures of the rest of the beast? I can pm you my email address.

Ben

DiggerG -- still looking for that 230 radiator shroud if you come across one in your adventures.
thanks,
Greg

I have some more Jeeps to look at in another oldies salvage yard further away. Supposedly a dozen or more. I will keep my eyes open.
diggerG

thanks,
Greg

It is my understanding that the 230 did not come with a shroud. Anyone have one? I have never seen one.

Here is #4

Does this look as bad on film as it did driving down the road? A friend saw me pulling this in, called me and asked if I was losing my mind. Some surprises though. this was a throw in on my all for 1 price at the old time junk yard. It is a CJ3A, with oil and anti freeze still in the engine and 2A radiator. usable 6.50 x 16 mud and snows, and an ORIGINAL CJ3A heater, looks good. Also a tight steering box believe it or not! 1983 inspection sticker and a CJ2A rear axle. Looks original. I wonder if they used up the last of the CJ2A rears before they went to the new 44 design? It's a very early 3A.The rear driveshaft was all that held the 2 pieces together. Horrible snowplow installation job but a nice set of old time headlights used as plow lights.

Now I work on the other Jeeps he has, 2 "piles" of jeeps and a couple of FC's. 1 of each.

diggerG

Attachments

• MVC-088S.JPG
    MVC-088S.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 61
I brought one home once. Only the firewall forward. The rest was rotted off. Only got a few good parts off it. It was free.

Back