Mar 4, 2018
TN
First Name
David
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
My 2x4 panel NEEDS sway bars. I would not attempt highway speed driving at this point. Floaty / Wandering

I hope you guys will have suggestions, your experience can prevent my mistakes.

I am thinking 1 inch for front and .75 for rear.

Thank you David

If your springs, hdwr and shocks are tired start there. Are you running the front planar suspension or mustang II style?

I'd think for a 2wd panel a front swaybar and links in the back. My truck is setup like this and have no sway at all. You can set up the links so they are hidden too.

This is an interesting setup.

http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/contents/en-us/p5971.html

On my go fast wagon I'm running torsion style bars from PAC Racing springs which go through the frame rails. The longer the arm the thicker the bar.

http://www.racingsprings.com/Racing-Sway-Bars

Otherwise a more conventional would be helwig or hotchkiss which could bolt under the frame.

another twist on how the desert guys do a sway bar...

Sway bars will not change the feeling much driving straight on the freeway. Most important is to get all the original parts into perfect condition. Then it should work reasonably well, while keeping mind how long ago it was designed and how slow it was meant to cruise at. Wandering is caused by loose parts, or incorrect toe-in. Wrong toe-in can make it go all over the place, but not be particularly interested in going a straight line.

I just bought the truck.
Radial tires,
Previous owers, converted 2x4 to 4x4, then back to 2x4. And SBC 700r4, boxed frame
The frame has been cleaned and painted. I think the front suspension is from 80s CJ.
Steering gear is good and tight.
I should be able to drive 45 safely, on paved roads.
Right now I will not allow wife to drive my panel. Because of the handling.
All suggestions appreciated .

I greatly appreciate your help
Thank you David

I'm with Martin...
Check the Toe-in.

Edit: You can check the toe by taking measurements yourself pretty easily, but considering the modifications made to the front end on your panel, it's probably worth it to take it to an alignment shop and have them look at the caster and camber, too.

Last edited:
Alignment ,,, better than good idea.
Thank you David

It's possible, perhaps likely that your panel had a rear sway bar. The station wagons (planar front end) did. Look around the back of the chassis where the cross member is and see if you can find attachments for one. My chassis had one and it was easy enough to re-attach it to the newer axle I put in it. I'm quite sure it was original.

I looked under my '48 panel yesterday and it has a rear sway bar. It's not very beefy, but my wagon handles pretty well for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

David
Am i correct that someone put other front springs to your frame? What exactly is the frame out of? And WHY would someone go from 2wd to 4wd and then back to 2wd??? I'm starting to suspect other handling issues.
diggerG

Back