May 1, 2018
Skowhegan Maine
First Name
Tonia
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
while changing the oil in my 62 CJ5 The oil in the filter housing wouldn't drain. Is there a lever that the filter pushes to let the oil go or might it be gummed up ? and if it is gummed up any ideas how to get the whole housing off to clean it ? Would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks
Well after a couple more tries I reckon I figured it out. Think I tore out half the engine to do it but its out and I'll clean it up in the morning.

Last edited:
while changing the oil in my 62 CJ5 The oil in the filter housing wouldn't drain. Is there a lever that the filter pushes to let the oil go or might it be gummed up ? and if it is gummed up any ideas how to get the whole housing off to clean it ? Would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks
Well after a couple more tries I reckon I figured it out. Think I tore out half the engine to do it but its out and I'll clean it up in the morning.
How about a photo of the filter housing in question? Some of them require you to suck the oil out from the top while the cover is off and the filter is out.

oil filter housing.jpg This is the oil filter housing on my CJ5 . I think you may be dead on in having to suck the oil out of the top, we ended up taking the whole thing off and dumping it out. It worked out cause the bottom was filled with sludge and probably needed to be cleaned anyhow.

Back