May 8, 2018
FL
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Hi, I am Gary from Jacksonville, Fl. I am a shop owner. We restore classic cars and trucks of all types. I am getting ready to start a project and I feel this forum will be of big help to me. We are working on a 52 Willys pick-up truck. I will be using a 1997 S-10 ,Ext. Cab,4WD ,4.3 Vortec , Manual Transmission. Wheelbase is around 4 1/2" longer on S 10. My Plan is to make up the difference in the bed. Has anyone on this site done such a project already? Thank you,

Welcome from Colorado, Gary. I'm sure someone on the Forum has done this or are in the process of doing this. They most likely will jump in here and talk to ya about it. My Son in Law and I did a Late Model Full Size Chevy 4X4 Short Bed with Regular Cab Truck Chassis Conversion to my 57 Willys Pickup. I also did a Cab Extension to get more leg room (I'm 6'3"). It's working out good! Take and Post Lots of Pictures of your Willys Project. Sounds like you've got the "Goods" and the Skills to Create a GREAT Old Willys Truck! I think a lot of US could Learn A LOT from YOU!! Pivnic

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I will certainly post pics. My brother and I did a lot of measuring yesterday afternoon to try and plan a good way of making this swap. I had thought of extending this cab also to the 4.5" difference in wheelbase. I would love to see pics of the how you extended your cab.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I will certainly post pics. My brother and I did a lot of measuring yesterday afternoon to try and plan a good way of making this swap. I had thought of extending this cab also to the 4.5" difference in wheelbase. I would love to see pics of the how you extended your cab.

Hi Gary. Here are some pics of my Cab Extension. Here are a couple of tips for a Cab Extension: Draw all your Cuts first to set everything up and how you're going to cut it. Keep away from the Rear Corner so you don't have to deal with Compound Curves. Be careful that you Don't Cut into the B-Pillar next to the door opening. Just cut deep enough to cut only the cab metal. We clamped some angle at the bottom of the cab to help line up the refitting of the cab back on the truck. Tack weld the back of the cab in it's new location. Then Tack Weld your new Extension. Then Fill in between the tack welds and alternate them so one area of the cab don't get overheated and warp. Grind down the welds, do a little skim coat with Bondo, and there you have it. Measure, Measure, Measure! Pivnic
Floyd 461 -  Getting Cab Extended 09302013 002.jpg Floyd 467 - Getting Cab Extended 10012013 002.jpg Floyd 479 -  Getting Cab Extended 10012013 014.jpg Floyd 476 - Getting Cab Extended 10012013 011.jpg Floyd 485 - New Extended Cab Getting Left Corner Ready For Bondo 33680.JPG Floyd 490 - Mots Car Show 07192014 3924.JPG

Hi Gary. Here are some pics of my Cab Extension. Here are a couple of tips for a Cab Extension: Draw all your Cuts first to set everything up and how you're going to cut it. Keep away from the Rear Corner so you don't have to deal with Compound Curves. Be careful that you Don't Cut into the B-Pillar next to the door opening. Just cut deep enough to cut only the cab metal. We clamped some angle at the bottom of the cab to help line up the refitting of the cab back on the truck. Tack weld the back of the cab in it's new location. Then Tack Weld your new Extension. Then Fill in between the tack welds and alternate them so one area of the cab don't get overheated and warp. Grind down the welds, do a little skim coat with Bondo, and there you have it. Measure, Measure, Measure! Pivnic
View attachment 45292 View attachment 45291 View attachment 45293 View attachment 45294 View attachment 45295 View attachment 45296
Well done sir!!!
I am wanting to do this to my 63 as i too am 6'3" and about 265lbs lol!!!

Back